2024 may not be kind for game developers.

We don’t see a lot of layoffs of video game studios in Canada either, it happens from time to time but employees are better protected than in US.

Oooof, bad timing. I just saw the news about Eidos Montreal and came to post and saw you'd just posted that. :p

Embracer I think might be over their head after all the acquisitions they did the past couple of years.

Regards,
SB

Is that the reason (I'm actually not sure how Canadian developers are more protected?) or is it because Canadian labor is much cheaper? I think US game developers likely out earn Canadian ones just nominally without even factoring the currency difference.

Couple that with favorable currency and aggressive subsidies in some areas (Quebec) and well it's kind of clear where you get more cost cutting from.
I’m sure that also plays a factor. We do suffer layoffs here, but it’s not as easy to layoff than in the US. But we’re not as strong as others.

corporations generally will take the path of least resistance, once you make tougher labour laws, they will lay off less and try other options. I believe Japan has some pretty strong laws in that regard.

Ironically, the new Blizzard president was in charge of eSports for Activision previously. And marketing for the NFL before that. Perfectly suited for the task!

Unfortunately for Japan
Japan is fine, thank you. Many great games releasing from japanese developers, has been like that for years.

Also, appreciate you defending lack of labour laws on a forum made of a lot of execut... oh not really. Developers.

Mod: Reminder to keep the politics out. Whether you're pro capitalist or anarchist or Lawfully Evil or Chaotic Good, large losses across the industry is a bad thing for those trying to earn a living.

Yeah. The series has always been more scary than RE.

On the other hand, RE has the commercial viability that SH lacks. SH is more of a critically acclaimed kind of franchise, however.

I was laid off in August as redundant even though I contributed hugely to the company. A few weeks ago they closed their offices in my country and laid off everyone. But the company I was working for was full of cringe, bad management and suspicious activities. Their public announcement of the latest lay offs showed zero respect to it's employees and full on hypocrisy to appease the ears of the shareholders. Also showed activity of inside trading a few days before they laid everyone off and closed the offices in my country. They only have a few employees in Sweden and their strategy is to use AI like mid journey to produce their assets, basically admitting stealing art to make their assets. The employees paid the price for the CEO's BS and his suspicious activities that cost the company money.
Disgusted.

Last edited:
I was laid off in August as redundant even though I contributed hugely to the company. A few weeks ago they closed their offices in my country and laid off everyone. But the company I was working for was full of cringe, bad management and suspicious activities. Their public announcement of the latest lay offs showed zero respect to it's employees and full on hypocrisy to appease the ears of the shareholders. Also showed activity of inside trading a few days before they laid everyone off and closed the offices in my country.
Sorry to hear that Nesh. Hopefully you land on your feet soon. I am unfortunately in a similar situation I feel like, with similar shady business practices. I largely suspect I have less than 5 months left here before our team is wiped.

Sorry to hear that Nesh. Hopefully you land on your feet soon. I am unfortunately in a similar situation I feel like, with similar shady business practices. I largely suspect I have less than 5 months left here before our team is wiped.
I found a job but it's unrelated to the gaming industry now. 3D is now reserved for various side projects.
Are you also in the gaming industry?

good luck @Nesh and @iroboto (though for now it's just a hunch, sometimes our intuition may be right, I hope not in this case but anyways).

I read a couple of hours ago that some of the people who were laid off from Blizzard and some other companies, industry veterans in some case, have been hired by CD Projekt to work in the sequel of Cyberpunk.

Back