2012/2013 to set a new rise on PC Gaming?

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
I'm not sure if it needs to be single slot, but definitely low profile.

I like the performance of the GT 640s at least, that's the type of performance I was originally expecting. If you notice your links for the 5570, games like Wolfenstein and Far Cry 2 aren't exactly the type of games I was hoping to see perform half-decent in 720p ...

Anyway, I found this (I'm in the Netherlands). Is there anything particular about this one, or would it be a viable choice?:

http://www.centralpoint.nl/onbekend...7080/?ref=18&gclid=CPCDqdjovLACFW1ItAodeFF6qQ

I don't think there is any way you can stick a dual slotter in there.

p3.jpg

1.jpg

I looked some reviews a bit and Honestly I don't think GT 640 in it's current DDR3 only form is worthy of an upgrade with that price. I'd wait for a GDDR5 version or better AMD card or just drop the idea now and perhaps build a new PC from older parts or something, should be quite easy to get drastically more performance cheaply.

edit: Actually I didn't remember how bad 5570 was ;) I guess it would be somewhat of an upgrade, but at almost €100 it's hard to recommend it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a 5570 for a low profile machine. It was a decent card for the market it was made for, but of course was held back by it's DDR3 memory. The 4670 1 GB DDR3 I had in main computer 3 years ago seemed to be a better performer with it's much higher stock and OC clocks, not to mention good 33% per clock advantage in texturing performance. If the next Xbox and Playstation are the marginal upgrades to the current systems they are rumored to be, yes PC has a chance to really catch the consoles with their pants down, unless perhaps MS and Sony were to really encourage MMO and F2P titles on their online services and grab a piece of that pie. Consoles and PCs are somewhat merging already, especially since PCs are pretty easy to use in general, and will get easier with touch UIs in tablet form. Though I'm a believer in software platforms being the future, not hardware. You see that with Win8 on both x86 and ARM, and Android on ARM, x86 (optimized for Brazos!), and even MIPS. What is questionable is the cross hardware compatibility which means wasting valuable processing time with driver, abstraction and translation layers. It would be pretty convenient to take a game I already own via Steam and download it to an ARM powered Win8 tablet and still be able to play it

I like the performance of the GT 640s at least, that's the type of performance I was originally expecting. If you notice your links for the 5570, games like Wolfenstein and Far Cry 2 aren't exactly the type of games I was hoping to see perform half-decent in 720p ...

Anyway, I found this (I'm in the Netherlands). Is there anything particular about this one, or would it be a viable choice?:

http://www.centralpoint.nl/onbekend...7080/?ref=18&gclid=CPCDqdjovLACFW1ItAodeFF6qQ

I'm pretty sure AFOX makes a low-profile Radeon HD 6850.

That only includes retail sales yet D3 still comes out on top. So in total sales it must have dwarfed all other titles.

I'm surprised that Blizzard didn't put Diablo 3 on the consoles too. Is it possible to use any old USB mouse and keyboard with the PS3 and 360?

I think the most recent game I've bought is Syndicate, which was mind numbing as expected (I got it half off). There hasn't been much on the charts getting me pumped. I've mainly been playing multiplayer SupCom FA again. Thumbs up to the Forged Alliance Forever project.

Mouse and keyboard support is banned on 360, it's supported by Sony on PS3 (or was years ago anyway), but hardly any devs take advantage of it AFAIK. It's just not a part of console mindshare; you're supposed to use a controller... :p

Diablo 3 is coming for consoles, Blizzard is "researching" how to port gameplay for consoles without players suffering (for example, how to put down hydras and meteors smoothly without a mouse), but it's obvious many concessions have already been made for console players during the game's development, including the number of skills players have access to at a time, which exactly matches the number of main action buttons on a controller. Also, arguably, the simplified approach to learning skills and runes by just having them unlocked as you level up, and the removal of glyphs and the mystic.

I suppose if you don't need to text chat, then a keyboard is hardly necessary. Diablo 1 was on PS1 (even had a coop mode) so it can be done.

Anything that's not sold along the console is optional and therefore will only benefit from limited support.
(If the console maker is strongly corrupt... herm, promoting it, it'll enjoy a little more support, but hardly more than gimmicky.)

I was thinking along the lines of 1) has USB ports 2) plug in random USB keyboard and mouse 3) play Diablo 3 just like on PC. But of course, unsurprisingly, MS sees it as risky to have generic HID drivers.

I plugged a Playstation2 USB keyboard into my notebook the other day. It seemed to work fine except for the Shift key.

"Presentation values" are not what everyone cares about, and neither is "gameplay only".

I presentation wasn't secretly still the primary thing people cared about, we wouldn't salivate over "Star Wars - Uncharted edition" (with a kick-ass renderer, but still inferior animations)

From the looks of it, 1313 is exactly the type of game your average cranky PC gamer would normally dismiss as dumbed-down console rubbish. Except this runs on top of the line pc hardware, so now it's of course the best thing ever.

Bloody hypocrites.

Uncharted games are awesome. I don't own any game consoles but I'll readily admit that those are some of my favorite games ever. Would love to see them on PC.

I've never seen Uncharted. I will have to see if one of my PS3 owning friends has the games.

From the looks of it, 1313 is exactly the type of game your average cranky PC gamer would normally dismiss as dumbed-down console rubbish. Except this runs on top of the line pc hardware, so now it's of course the best thing ever.

Bloody hypocrites.
Hah, people bagged pretty hard on the game in the PC-version of the 1313 thread, just for the reasons that it looks and plays like a console game that happens to be running on high-end PC hardware. Just go over and have a look yourself. :)

Personally I don't give a sh*t if the game has "console style" gameplay, a good game is a good game, that's what I've always believed (I'm a big fan of Gears of War and Starwars Force Unleashed for example) and 1313 is no different. It looks like it could be a good game but right now the only thing we really have to go off is the graphics and so I see nothing wrong in getting excited over those. It doesn't surprise me that some console gamers feel a bit bitter over it though. God forbid the 20x more powerful hardware should actually get games that are clearly not possible on the current generation consoles.

By not possible I mean that exact version with those graphics. It will definately be possible to run a lower fidelity version of it on current consoles. I still maintain that Crysis isn't possible on the consoles ;-)

Bloody hypocrites.

A lot of them are in the console land as well, where the HD twins' defence force tries to dismiss the negative effects their beloved companies' boxes along with demographics and business practices have on PC while at the same time are willing to denigrate the "kiddy"/casual Wii/Nintendo. They don't seem to care when their systems are doing what they so fear the Wii does.

Back