100m WR broken!

Druga Runda

Sleepy Substitute
Regular
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/articles/19308977

Jamaican Powell last night set a world 100metres record of 9.77seconds at the Olympic Stadium in Athens, slicing one hundredth of a second off the mark set by American Tim Montgomery in Paris three years ago.

Well done!

a bit better report

Today was the fourth time this year that Powell has run the 100 in less than 10 seconds. He'd been clocked twice in 9.84 seconds and once at 9.85.

one fast dude :)

I still have to make my mind up on whether these tiny 100ths of seconds are more down to the equipment measuring the time. I mean, 1/100th of a sec is really nothing.

london-boy said:
I still have to make my mind up on whether these tiny 100ths of seconds are more down to the equipment measuring the time. I mean, 1/100th of a sec is really nothing.

I think 1/100th is pretty stupid from the POV of the finish line and the position of a runner's body relative to said line. :?

PC-Engine said:
london-boy said:

I think 1/100th is pretty stupid from the POV of the finish line and the position of a runner's body relative to said line. :?

Exactly, there are so many variables (pushing his head more forward, wind, anything really), it's amazing they make such noise over 1/100th sec.

But it's already very hard to run at such speed. Bascially, any one who can finish 100m under 10 seconds is a superman (or maybe in the future, superwoman).

On the other hand, it's depressing to see some large animals like hippos which can run at such speed without much effort.

pcchen said:
But it's already very hard to run at such speed. Bascially, any one who can finish 100m under 10 seconds is a superman (or maybe in the future, superwoman).

On the other hand, it's depressing to see some large animals like hippos which can run at such speed without much effort.

Can they?!

Well I don't know about "without much effort" but they can definitely haul ass at a comparable speed to humans over short distances.

RussSchultz said:
http://www.thebigzoo.com/Animals/Hippopotamus.asp

Says 20mph

20*5280/60/60 = 29.33 ft/sec == ~10 m/s.
(unless I screwed up my calcs)

The start might slow their 100 m dash a bit though.
I remember seeing a velocity-distance chart of Donovan Bailey's performance in 1996. His peak was something like 12 m/s (27 mph).

So yes, the start makes a significant difference.

Druga Runda said:
Today was the fourth time this year that Powell has run the 100 in less than 10 seconds. He'd been clocked twice in 9.84 seconds and once at 9.85.

one fast dude :)
I remember everyone was expecting this guy to break the world record at the Olympics in Athens.

There was one run (an earlier heat, not the final) where he sprinted hard for only 35m or so, and then just shut it down and coasted - almost pranced - his way to the end. He still won the heat with a time of around 10.0 seconds or so. People were saying they've never seen anything like that in their life.

I think we'll still see faster times from this guy:
Toronto Star said:
"It wasn't perfect, my coach is mad at me," he said. "In the last 30 metres, I was tightening up because I was trying to push it too hard when I should have been relaxing down. I can be faster."

Mintmaster said:
RussSchultz said:
http://www.thebigzoo.com/Animals/Hippopotamus.asp

Says 20mph

20*5280/60/60 = 29.33 ft/sec == ~10 m/s.
(unless I screwed up my calcs)

The start might slow their 100 m dash a bit though.
I remember seeing a velocity-distance chart of Donovan Bailey's performance in 1996. His peak was something like 12 m/s (27 mph).

So yes, the start makes a significant difference.

Top (human running) speed can be achieved in the 200mt dash I reckon.

Crisidelm said:

ahh, but they dont do the 200yrds/m straight any more, which they used to.....

w.r.t. the timing, iirc at one point the measurements were to 1/1000th's but that got dropped , not sure why...
at 10m/s 1/100th of a second is 10 centimetres. . still think it doesnt mean much ?

davefb said:
Crisidelm said:

ahh, but they dont do the 200yrds/m straight any more, which they used to.....

w.r.t. the timing, iirc at one point the measurements were to 1/1000th's but that got dropped , not sure why...
at 10m/s 1/100th of a second is 10 centimetres. . still think it doesnt mean much ?

10cm is less than the diameter of a DVD...

An average nose is about 1/4 the diameter of a DVD.

Linford Christie should have packed his shorts with DVDs instead of assorted fruit & veg.

But in Formula 1, the timing is in 1/1000th second. With a car running at 320kph (the average speed is normally around 200kph), the distance is even less than 10cm (about 8.9cm). And in F1, every 1/1000th second counts :)

london-boy said:

The modern stuff could measure 1/100000th of a second without any problems. The problem is rather if it's the forearm passing the light barrier first while the next guy is maybe in the lead by a few cm, but with his arms down thus losing. It makes a rather tiny difference, but still some.

I didn't think that the timings were done with a light beam these days, but that there are high-speed cameras on the finish line that record a sort of "strip" or slit along the finish line. That's why when you see the photo finishes on the telly they look all distorted, because they're kind of back-to-front.

(Sorry, I'm having trouble explaining myself today :D)

EDIT: Here seems like they use a mix of techniques.

Back