1000 Xbox 360s $100 (each) on Amazon.com on Thanksgiving

How does scaling up the service differ from increasing server capacity?
I think it's supposed to be a dynamic solution. ie. They have a standard capacity for 1 million transactions a minute, and when demand exceeds that, Amazon scales up to 2 million transactions a minute. Then when demand dies down, it reverts back to the 1 million standard capacity.

Dunno how it'd work, short of renting capacity from another server network. I can't Google any details so don't know the ins and outs, but the reasoning is sound.

If it is anything like the AS/400 at my work. The servers have extra processors in them and memory all we need to do to get additional capacity is call ibm and they activate the extra processors and charge us for them. After the demand dies down the processors are taken off line and we are no longer charge for them.

Then I can complain MS for me getting a winning screen and Amazon crashing and resulting in not getting the deal :devilish:

Actually, you don't have a winning screen based on that screenshot.

The "we have a winner" refers to the X-Box 360 deal winning the vote....not you "winning" a system. (That screen has been up for everyone since Wednesday). You would have a case if you were given a reference number. :cry:

Actually, you don't have a winning screen based on that screenshot.

The "we have a winner" refers to the X-Box 360 deal winning the vote....not you "winning" a system. (That screen has been up for everyone since Wednesday). You would have a case if you were given a reference number. :cry:

Compare the screen on the right (dual monitor). Note the absence of "Get this deal" which their system noted would appear. Also, the next screen is the first verification screen. Unfortunately after clocking to verify Amazon timed out.

The Amazon refreshed before the original all were the "not available at this time" and the ones after were "sold out". That screen was specifically refreshed at 2:00:01 EST based on the government clock, which explains why the screens refreshed 10 seconds before said unavailable and the ones 5 seconds later were "sold out".

Basically they only pushed a limited number of "get this deal" and verification screens. 5 seconds after 2:00:00 you could not even get the screen anymore.

Compare the screen on the right (dual monitor). Note the absence of "Get this deal" which their system noted would appear. Also, the next screen is the first verification screen. Unfortunately after clocking to verify Amazon timed out.

Yeah...that's unfortunate. However, no one is entitled to a unit until the validation question is successfully answered and then the confirmation code is received. (This is to prevent bots and such from getting the deals...)

(And I know this specifically because I read all the terms and conditions before I tried...and failed...myself. ;) )

Amazon would / should have served significantly more than 1000 verification screen pages. (It should have served them until it actually processed and returned 1000 verified answers).

Basically they only pushed a limited number of "get this deal" and verification screens. 5 seconds after 2:00:00 you could not even get the screen anymore.

Sounds right.

I'm just not sure why there seems to be so much angst toward Amazon on this. (I tried to get myself the deal and failed too.) There were probably 100s of thousands of people trying to get 1000 units.

Is the problem mainly because people timed out and didn't get immediate notification of whether or not they got the deal? Do people think if they didn't "time out" they would have gotten one?

Do people think if they didn't "time out" they would have gotten one?
Really... I've been reading on several forums how Amazon sucks. They may have been there the moment the sale started but so were many other people. As if all that prevented them from getting one was Amazon's servers not being able to handle tens(hundreds?) of thousands of people converging in on their servers at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do people think if they didn't "time out" they would have gotten one?
Not necessarily. The problem is many people never got to see the new screen and click on "Get this deal" because the page simply would not load. Many thousands of people were constantly reloading the page and Amazon's servers could not handle the load (it's a case of either they knew the demand would be huge and didn't do anything about it or they completely underestimated the demand... it's more likely the latter, but you never know). In the end it all just came down to blind luck that the servers would respond to your requests.

Now that Amazon knows what can happen they should certainly be doing something about it.

Not necessarily. The problem is many people never got to see the new screen and click on "Get this deal" because the page simply would not load.

Yeah...and I was one of them.

To that, I said "meh." :???:

...In the end it all just came down to blind luck that the servers would respond to your requests.

In all honesty...what exactly did you think it would come down to? Blind luck is exactly what I figured it would take.

Now that Amazon knows what can happen they should certainly be doing something about it.

Perhaps...on the other hand, they may decide to just not bother with these or similar offers. If it costs to much to boost their infrastructure so that their pages load instantly for you....

Heh. What did you people think would happen when gamers from around the globe sat there refreshing the page, drooling with greed? Amazon sucks? Give me a break.

Heh. What did you people think would happen when gamers from around the globe sat there refreshing the page, drooling with greed?

No just greedy bastards from U.S.
Amazon doesn't ship certain products outside U.S. including consoles and games.
Doesn't really matter though as I'm sure the population of U.S can probably take a website down on their own :smile:

Back