Condemned 2 [PS3&X360]

StefanS

meandering Velosoph
Veteran
Developed by the renowned Monolith Productions, creators of the original Condemned game, Condemned 2: Bloodshot is slated to ship in early 2008 for the Xbox 360™ videogame and entertainment from Microsoft and PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system.

Players will assume the identity of Ethan Thomas, former Serial Crimes Unit investigator, who has been called back to duty to track down his missing partner. The disturbing events from Ethan’s past have left him a broken man – a desperate burnout drifting aimlessly through society in an inexplicable decline. Fighting inner demons throughout his one-man investigation into a sinister conspiracy, Ethan will need to use anything and everything in the environment to survive as he unravels the mysteries shrouding the city in darkness.

As Ethan, players will engage in visceral combat using a variety of firearms, blunt instruments and an all-new fighting system complete with defensive and offensive combo chains, as well as grapples and holds. To help track the killer and solve the mysteries behind Condemned 2: Bloodshot, players will crack open an all-new set of high-tech forensic tools. Using wits and brute strength, murders can be solved a number of different ways to keep players guessing throughout each suspenseful investigation.

http://www.sega.com/corporate/corporate.php?item=pr_20070510e

Seems like Sega paid attention and gave in to the cries for a sequel...

Great!

I really enjoyed Condemned, and I think it was by far the best X360 launch game. Even if it was released today, I wouldn't hesitate to give it 90/100. This sequel is a definite must buy for me, no questions asked.

I don't see how it would work with multiplayer but it's a definite rental at least. The last one had such good pacing and horror even if you replayed it. Wonder what they'll add.

We have to hope that they put more care into the PS3 port than they did with FEAR. I'm playing FEAR PS3 now and it's a sloppy job. They couldn't even get something as basic as the controls correct.

Monolith didn't make either console port of Fear, and the Fear franchise is though a different publisher as well.

Great, if not totally unexpected, news. For the atmosphere (and lighting!) alone I'm currently replaying the original. :)

I liked the first one, i hope this one will have more cutscenes and a little more story, running around endlessly in the same environments was kinda of a drag aswell.

First level in condemned is one of the best i have ever played

Condemned 2 Q&A

Condemned 2 Q&A

IGN: As an Xbox 360 launch title, Condemned was the first "next-gen" experience for a lot of people. With this generation well under way, however, games have improved quite a bit since then. With that in mind, how will Bloodshot be different technologically from the original?

Brian Legge, Lead Engineer: When we started development of Condemned: Criminal Origins, we had only a rough idea of what the 360 would be able to do. Developers have to play it safe when developing for a platform that is still being worked out. While we delivered the experience we wanted in the first Condemned, we knew we could push it further. Condemned 2: Bloodshot is about taking our tech and truly optimizing it for the platform, giving the designers a richer palette of tools to use. This enables them to create a better gameplay experience.

A large portion of time spent developing a first-generation game, particularly a launch window title, goes into building new technology to leverage the platform. For example, we implemented a resource streaming system for Condemned: Criminal Origins to take advantage of the 360's multiple CPUs. This allowed us to have levels larger than we could fit in memory. The tech worked very nicely, but it changed the way we built levels. It took the designers awhile to learn to push the system. Now that they have more experience and our tools are more mature, they'll be able to build more detailed environments and characters.

On the tech side, Bloodshot will sport a new shader system, a new environmental effect system and a new UI system. In addition, our bloom support is replaced by a new HDR (High Dynamic Range) functionality. The designers have a great deal of control over HDR and screen effect behavior, enabling them to create new and diverse visual effects. We have also made significant optimizations in CPU and memory use which allow us to better leverage the platform.

IGN: One of the biggest complaints about the first game was that enemy variety and behavior had pretty much peaked halfway through the game. How will enemies and their AI be handled here?

Matthew Rice, Software Engineer: Condemned 2 will certainly up the ante in terms of AI variety. Building on the foundation of Criminal Origins, we are able to add many new level specific AI types. Remember the creepy mannequins in the Department Store? They were essentially the normal bum AI with a variation on the animation set. In Condemned 2: Bloodshot our thematic levels will be completely unique and are going to have wholly new AI types.

The expanded melee combat system lends itself nicely to many specific behaviors that will take the player much longer to explore and master.

As good as the first game was, I can't wait to get my mits on this one! PS3 fans are lucky its going multi platform this time!

Kinda surprised the discussion is so dead about this game with only 12 days to release.

[gt]30186[/gt]

[gt]29646[/gt]

[gt]30573[/gt]

Last edited by a moderator:
I figured it was something like that . I've yet to even play a bad FPS game made by Monolith.

PS3 port was done by Day 1 Studios, and yes it was horrendous. The 360 version was a beautiful job done by Starbreeze I think? A real shame to see the PS3 version crapped out like it was.

I still have the first game sitting on my shelf. I simply never got all the way through the sewer level since the game is so "intense". It created a beautiful sense of atmosphere where you genuinely felt like you were fighting for your life in every encounter... not simply due to having really tough baddies, just that it was you - an ordinary Joe - vs some crazy junkie - also an ordinary Joe.

I will get the game done eventually, though. #2 looks like more of the same, which is a good thing, given that the first succeeded in what it set out to do.

And don't try and spoil the
mannequin
bit either, please :p

I'm really impressed with the crime scene multiplayer mode the first few levels of single player have been exelent as well.

I'm really impressed with the crime scene multiplayer mode the first few levels of single player have been exelent as well.

Got anything else for us? This has been up high on my list a long time. With my 360 still not functioning, I need to wait next week until it comes out for PS3.

The first has been one of my fav games this generation.

How is the combat?

Back