PSP or not to PSP - that is the...well, my question at least

Neeyik

Homo ergaster
Veteran
I'm quite drawn to going all mobile and funky with regards to gaming - especially with the tedium of traveling these days - and I'm pretty keen on the PSP. However, one thing that bothers me is a seemingly distinct lack of games available to buy in the UK. Basically I'm after some original PlayStation-style gaming: GT, Tekken, TR, FF7 and so on but there doesn't seem to be much along those lines.

Is it worth going for a PSP? Are there more/better games out there that I'm missing?

No insult meant to anyone, but PSPs are alright if you're a huge respecter of intellectual property rights and all...but if you sometimes enter the gray zone they're just the bee's f-ing knees!

Just my .02.

I'm quite drawn to going all mobile and funky with regards to gaming - especially with the tedium of traveling these days - and I'm pretty keen on the PSP. However, one thing that bothers me is a seemingly distinct lack of games available to buy in the UK. Basically I'm after some original PlayStation-style gaming: GT, Tekken, TR, FF7 and so on but there doesn't seem to be much along those lines.

Is it worth going for a PSP? Are there more/better games out there that I'm missing?

Well, if TR is Tomb Raider? then it's on there, though I'd right now recommend the latest Prince of Persia for the PSP as the better game. Final Fantasy will take a while yet though, as it's not even out in Japan yet (though there should be a demo soon). Who knows when GT comes? However, there are a lot of other racing games available, some of which are actually good ;) (look also to Race Driver 3, out now or shortly).

Most importantly, though, Tekken is out on PSP, and it is pretty much as good as it gets. Right now, it's the best Tekken available on any platform. This game alone should keep you happy for a long, long time, with excellent modes and tonnes of characters. Also one of the few games I've regularly played with strangers, thanks to an excellent game-sharing mode.

Of course, there are the extras, such as a pretty decent web-browser (if you have wireless at home, you'll be surprised how often you can use it practically), movie player, music player, RSS pod/vodcast player, image slideshow (used that during Christmas dinner to show pictures of our new home), and the fact that you can get more and more downloadable demos is great too (there are some excellent Loco Roco demos out, as well as Moto GP, which you'll like if you like GT).

I still use my PSP almost daily, after two years. These days, I find I'm leaving my homebrewed PSP at home in favor of my regular white FW 3.0 one. Your mileage may vary, but if you're anything like me then you'll like.

By the way, get the white one if you can - it comes with better buttons.

Also get Lumines II - it's only half price.

Ask me any question on the PSP, and I'm bound to be able to answer. ;)

Basically I'm after some original PlayStation-style gaming: GT, Tekken, TR, FF7 and so on but there doesn't seem to be much along those lines.

I get the feeling that you're going somewhere with that line. Like there's a certain slant to it but I can't quite put my finger on it! Anyway, if we're talking PS-style gaming you've got GTA: LCS, the new MGS: PO, Wipeout: Pure and finally SSX: On Tour. They've got good reviews and, to me, are as PS-esque as you can get.

Few others that I really enjoyed:

Killzone: Liberation
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror
Burnout: Legends
Daxter
Loco Roco
Mercury(!)

And others that I haven't tried but have heard good things about...

Ridge Racer
Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception
Pursuit Force
Tekken: Dark Resurrection

Few quick points. I dunno why, but I've over-used the colon symbol. So if you're looking around for these games, bear that in mind.

You gotta ask yourself what you want from handheld gaming? I thought I'd be puzzling mostly. I guess I got that idea from the gaming I used to do on my mobile. But it hasn't worked out like that. In fact I'm surprised by the proportion of traditional PS type gaming I do on it. Sports (although not really indicated above) are well represented.

If you can get the fact that the DS is a monster outta your head, a PSP is a very good machine. I only use mine for gaming; media remains largely untouched. But as you'll probably know (and as Digi certainly does!) there's a whole lot more you can do with it...

And finally, what's "TR" from that quote I took above?

EDIT: What Arwin said...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm quite happy with mine. It has all genres well covered, except RPGs -- it has a few decent ones, but not enough of them.

A few that I didn't see mentioned (otherwise I agree with what was mentioned):

Wipeout is a great one. MGS: PO is great too (but that's not out in EU yet, I don't think?). The GTA games are fun. DJ Max portable is fantastic if you like rhythm games (you'd have to import it) -- so is Gitaroo Man (not sure if it's released in EU yet though). Lumines is good too. Super Ghouls n Ghosts is a blast from the past. Can't think of any others at the moment -- I'd need to look my collection.

Edit: The two megaman games are great too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a note, the latest trend in the homebrew community is hacking PSX games directly to run on the PSP....pretty damned kewl. :)

As someone with a pair of PSPs like Arwin, one homebrewed and one very much up to date with Sony's latest official goodies, I can't recommend them enough. There are dozens of truly awesome games, homebrewed ones are capable of so so much, MS Pro Duos are seriously cheap now, battery life needn't suck, etc, etc, etc.

Plus, for me at least, it's got a form factor that lets me play it for hours without RSI, unlike the DS Lite. It's the ultimate travel companion for me. Go get one!

Well, if TR is Tomb Raider? then it's on there, though I'd right now recommend the latest Prince of Persia for the PSP as the better game.
Yes, TR = Tomb Raider - I didn't like PoP for the PC though, so I'm not sure that I'd like it on the PSP either.

Final Fantasy will take a while yet though, as it's not even out in Japan yet (though there should be a demo soon).
Any decent alternatives?

Most importantly, though, Tekken is out on PSP, and it is pretty much as good as it gets. Right now, it's the best Tekken available on any platform. This game alone should keep you happy for a long, long time, with excellent modes and tonnes of characters. Also one of the few games I've regularly played with strangers, thanks to an excellent game-sharing mode.
I knew Tekken was available, I'd just listed it to give folks an idea as to what style of games or gaming I'm looking for on a mobile console. To say that it's the best Tekken on any platform is high praise indeed though.

Of course, there are the extras, such as a pretty decent web-browser (if you have wireless at home, you'll be surprised how often you can use it practically), movie player, music player, RSS pod/vodcast player, image slideshow (used that during Christmas dinner to show pictures of our new home), and the fact that you can get more and more downloadable demos is great too (there are some excellent Loco Roco demos out, as well as Moto GP, which you'll like if you like GT).
Does the PSP have any Bluetooth capabilities - either built-in or via a dongle?

By the way, get the white one if you can - it comes with better buttons.
In what way are they better? The black version is sooo much nicer looking for me :cool:

This decision is really hard! Ideally I'd like a PSP and a DS Lite but I think it'd be a waste of money given that I'd only use the machine during travelling and whatnot.

Well, I've gone ahead and done it now! One white PSP (sadly, with one free stuck pixel too), 2GB mem stick, 4 games (Tekken, MotoGP, Vice City, Everyone's Golf) - very pleased it all so far, although my thumbs don't agree.

Heh. Congrats! Nice choices! Your thumbs will get over (used to) it. ;)

For Tekken, play Arcade mode a few times so you unlock that combo attack challenge, it's my favorite. I tend to first take a character to practice mode to try out all of its moves (just try to follow the example at least once, you get a nice sound and a star when you nail it), and then I go there to try and get the main ones into my system so that I can perform them quicker. It's a nice stimulus to work your way down to 20 secs in that timed challenge. Many people are also very pleased with the Dojo mode. I also spent quite some time there, though only after I soaked up every other feature first. The online rankings are also very addictive.

By the way, I mentioned the white one because in my experience the buttons are a little higher up in that version, making them easier to work with.

I bought myself one for Christmas, but haven't really come across any games I like(I've only rented four or five maybe)...it's multimedia functions have really impressed me so far though, movies that I download to it look great. I use Slysoft's Clone DVD Mobile to squeeze two full DVD's onto my 1GB memory card, and only see minor ghosting. All in all the PSP is one of my favorite toys.

I bought myself one for Christmas, but haven't really come across any games I like(I've only rented four or five maybe)...it's multimedia functions have really impressed me so far though, movies that I download to it look great. I use Slysoft's Clone DVD Mobile to squeeze two full DVD's onto my 1GB memory card, and only see minor ghosting. All in all the PSP is one of my favorite toys.

What kind of games do you like, generally?

(sadly, with one free stuck pixel too)
When I bought mine, it had three stuck pixels, they wouldn't display black(other colours were fine though), after reading some reviews on the web, it seemed I was lucky to only have three. Still, I returned it for a new one and got one with a perfect screen. I simply couldn't stand paying $200 buck for a toy that wasn't perfect.

First person shooters:LOL:

I'm actually looking forward to playing M.A.C.H. when I can get my hands on it.

I see! And you've tried the usual suspects? Socom 2, Medal of Honor, etc.? Not sure if Call of Duty is out yet on PSP (it was coming soon last time I checked). Tried Syphon Filter yet? Not quite FPS, but close enough for most. Slightly different from what you are used to probably also is Ratchett & Clank, which is going to be out soon, and comes highly recommended.

Lots of games have free demos on the PSP these days. Did you try the Killzone demo yet? You might like it, despite being isometric. I also downloaded a Syphon Filter demo from a Playstation Spot some time ago. But I think you'd like Socom 2, anyway.

Most of PSPs FPSs are, for some weird reason, much more fun online than off-line ... ;)

I am looking to get a PSP as well. I just dont want a PS3 to be able to game the PS1 games...and also I read somewhere that with the announcement of Samsung's 1.8 inh 60 gig hdd a PSP2 is in the works with an hdd in it?! Is there any truth to that? Anyone heard of anything about that?

Well if you're looking for a traveling system I'd go with the DS Lite. The battery lasts a hell of a lot longer, and there are a ton more games for it.

I see! And you've tried the usual suspects? Socom 2, Medal of Honor, etc.? Not sure if Call of Duty is out yet on PSP (it was coming soon last time I checked). Tried Syphon Filter yet? Not quite FPS, but close enough for most. Slightly different from what you are used to probably also is Ratchett & Clank, which is going to be out soon, and comes highly recommended.

Lots of games have free demos on the PSP these days. Did you try the Killzone demo yet? You might like it, despite being isometric. I also downloaded a Syphon Filter demo from a Playstation Spot some time ago. But I think you'd like Socom 2, anyway.

Most of PSPs FPSs are, for some weird reason, much more fun online than off-line ... ;)
I'll admit that I haven't tried very hard to find a game I like for the system, and I have d/l'ed all of the demos available. I'm confident that something will grab my attention:D

Well if you're looking for a traveling system I'd go with the DS Lite. The battery lasts a hell of a lot longer, and there are a ton more games for it.
The Nintendo systems don't share the same multimedia functionality as the PSP, and the graphics look like poop.

The Nintendo systems don't share the same multimedia functionality as the PSP, and the graphics look like poop.

You haven't seen Metroid Prime Hunters, Castlevania Portrait of Ruin, Sonic Rush, or any other myriad graphically impressive games I s'pose. But ah wells. Such is life.

p.s.: If you had actually read Neeyik's posts, you'd see he is more interested in games, and lack thereof on the PSP platform in the UK, than the media capabilities.

Back