Worldwide Wii Day (Sep 14/15): the official thread *Released Nov 19 for $250 (US)*

Fahrenheit was developed as a scientific measure using a couple of fairly arbitary high and lows and an arbitary set of divisions. Key points along the scale don't mean anything (0 degrees doesn't correlate to any physical phenomena, and 100 degrees isn't/wasn't human body temperature) so the values are less meaningful than Celsius which is based on water's properties. Low figures of C tell a gardner to be wary of frost, as 0 is freezing.

Please read my post or do some research on your own initiative before saying something like this...

Please read my post or do some research on your own initiative before saying something like this...
Please explain what's wrong with my comments rather than posting something like this...

For the record, I did read your post and I did research too (what did I say not true that I hadn't obviously hadn't researched?). That's why I commented, because your argument makes no sense. There's no need for high accuracy/granularity except in scientific applications, where decimal/fractional values are fine.

Please explain what's wrong with my comments rather than posting something like this...

For the record, I did read your post and I did research too (what did I say not true that I hadn't obviously hadn't researched?). That's why I commented, because your argument makes no sense. There's no need for high accuracy/granularity except in scientific applications, where decimal/fractional values are fine.

You describe the scale as having arbitrarily defined points when clearly that is not the case, as I have explained. The entire advantage of the scale, in my opinion, is derived from those so-called 'arbitrary' high and low points.

You describe the scale as having arbitrarily defined points when clearly that is not the case, as I have explained. The entire advantage of the scale, in my opinion, is derived from those so-called 'arbitrary' high and low points.
He took zero as 'the coldest day in his home town' and set 100 at 'his own temperature when he was probably having a fever' and they're not arbitary?! His zero doesn't relate to any useful landmark measure (unless you think being told the temperature today will be 12 degrees warmer than the coldest day in Gdansk in 1709 is a useful comparison). His attempt to set 100 at human body temperature failed. The result is a scale that's arbitary. It's as arbitary a scale as me creating a thermometric scale that places 0 at the current temperature of a half-drunk and luke-warm cup of tea on my desk and 100 at the temperature at point of contact where two sticks are rubbed together until I see smoke.

He took zero as 'the coldest day in his home town' and set 100 at 'his own temperature when he was probably having a fever' and they're not arbitary?! His zero doesn't relate to any useful landmark measure (unless you think being told the temperature today will be 12 degrees warmer than the coldest day in Gdansk in 1709 is a useful comparison). His attempt to set 100 at human body temperature failed. The result is a scale that's arbitary. It's as arbitary a scale as me creating a thermometric scale that places 0 at the current temperature of a half-drunk and luke-warm cup of tea on my desk and 100 at the temperature at point of contact where two sticks are rubbed together until I see smoke.

As I've said, the coldest temperature is likely the temperature at which salt water freezes, and 100F is the temperature of the human body. Now, obviously he was off, but he was close. It's not like Centigrade i.e. Celcius hasn't had a few adjustments in the past few centuries.

As I've said, the coldest temperature is likely the temperature at which salt water freezes, and 100F is the temperature of the human body. Now, obviously he was off, but he was close. It's not like Centigrade i.e. Celcius hasn't had a few adjustments in the past few centuries.

Now just how has this thread derailed from Wii's launch to using Celcius and Farenheit? What's next? Inches or centimeters?

(BTW, I prefer metric, basically because it's more accurate, and conversion isn't such a pain in the arse.)

Fahrenheit temperature scale is almost totally arbitrary in practice, and it's basically useless for anything other than reporting air temperatures in north america. It's also not a scientific standard. It has no advantages over the celcius scale, percieved or otherwise.

I haven't read this thread, but could someone explain to me how essentially GC1.5 + Wiimote = $250 when GC's are being sold today for $70? I though the Wii was going to be <$200, remember the "X360 + Wii <= PS3" claim? $250 is not much cheaper than a next-gen X360 Core! Seems to me they are selling it for a huge hardware markup. Are they crazy? It doesn't even support HDTV, and has last-gen graphics and they think they can charge a premium for it? I think it was about games, not HW, and they were aiming to make their money by selling tons of software.

I haven't read this thread, but could someone explain to me how essentially GC1.5 + Wiimote = $250 when GC's are being sold today for $70? I though the Wii was going to be <$200, remember the "X360 + Wii <= PS3" claim? $250 is not much cheaper than a next-gen X360 Core! Seems to me they are selling it for a huge hardware markup. Are they crazy? It doesn't even support HDTV, and has last-gen graphics and they think they can charge a premium for it? I think it was about games, not HW, and they were aiming to make their money by selling tons of software.

$105 GC * 1.5
$60 Controller
$50 Wii sports is bundled with every sale
$35 Bragging rights

Total $250

I haven't read this thread, but could someone explain to me how essentially GC1.5 + Wiimote = $250 when GC's are being sold today for $70?

Because GC's MSRP is $99 this isn't a GC 1.5, and it's not made out of clearance stock bought from pricewatch or newegg. That, and no one clued Nintendo into its moral obligation to lose $100 per unit.

You should ask this question in every Wii thread. Then maybe you'll get a different answer.

Last edited by a moderator:

I also think it's expensive (especially if you want 3 additional controllers!) and although I'm generally interested, I won't buy it at that price point. But that's perfectly fine, I still believe that Nintendo will hit their projected targets, and pricing something to high is hardly a crime.
Remember: It's also about perceived value, which is in many ways connected not only to what you actually get, but also to the price you pay for it.

Not exactly, its an upgraded GC, plus Wiimote, plus WiFi, plus free game, plus 512MB memory card built in. It has everything you need to use the systems full features right out of the box. So its not comparable to the 360 core system, which lacks storage, wireless controller, WiFi and a game. I do agree that if the hardware is as low power as some rumours suggest (barely upgraded and 50% overclocked) then the price does seem $50 to high to me, but its not quite as bad as you suggest when you take everything into account.

I haven't read this thread, but could someone explain to me how essentially GC1.5 + Wiimote = $250 when GC's are being sold today for $70?

Price is not solely determined by cost of production.
I'm sure that nintendo did their homework and they determined that they could sell the Wii at this price at launch without hurting sales too much, maximizing their profit.

From an economic perspective, if people are ready to pay 250 $ for it, why sell for less ?

Wii is $250 including game. Japan gets it for $212 w/o game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back