Dual Layer Blu-Ray to get 80% yields

A demonstration was held at the end of the replication line, picked up DL disc randomly and played on the BD ready VAIO Type R PC. Not only 1st layer but also second layer played flawlessly. Demonstrated title was "The Bridge on The River KWAI".

According to Sony, the yield ratio of the line is "around 85% for SL and 80% for DL". It is said that DVD's number is 90% to 95% in this facility, there is more room to be improved.

Sony is now preparing BD replication structure at 3 bases of Japan, US and Europe, for video titles and PS3 game softwares. At the beginning, capacity would be 300,000 discs per month, they are planing to expand lines and achieve 2,500,000 discs production per month by the end of the year. In the same way, they are targeting 5,000,000 in US and 2,500,000 in Europe, establishing 10,000,000 production structure in total.

I said wow! So are we still worried?

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20060901/sony2.htm

One is there anything else in the article that is relevent?

I'm interested in how they define "yield". What constitutes a good disc? What are their bit-error rate or block-error rate limits? How much headroom are they leaving for the scratches and finger prints a disc will accumulate over its lifetime? Do they do a full verification of each layer?

I like the additional capacity of BD, but I worry that they might be sacrificing data integrity to ramp as fast as possible for PS3 launch, and to compete with HD-DVD.

Phat

I'm interested in how they define "yield". What constitutes a good disc? What are their bit-error rate or block-error rate limits? How much headroom are they leaving for the scratches and finger prints a disc will accumulate over its lifetime? Do they do a full verification of each layer?

I like the additional capacity of BD, but I worry that they might be sacrificing data integrity to ramp as fast as possible for PS3 launch, and to compete with HD-DVD.

Phat

Why? They probably rate it the same as they do a DVD. Which they are getting 90% yields on.

Sounds like good news to me. Not only for movies, but this should bode well for ps3 game manufacturing as well.

That said, I'm interested in seeing what Kingdom of Heaven (50gb) looks like.

Phat

Good point , still can't wait to see how Amir is going to spin this news.

How much headroom are they leaving for the scratches and finger prints a disc will accumulate over its lifetime?
BR discs do have that special antiscratch spincoat, in theory they should be A LOT more resistant to minor damage than plain polycarbonate discs like CDs or DVDs.

Good point , still can't wait to see how Amir is going to spin this news.
Let me say it for all the "spin doctors".
"So that's why the games need all that space, for data redundancy because the discs are simply unreadable in parts due to the subpar yields!"
;)

I think the key words here, are "according to sony".

Ding Ding Ding! Winner!

According the lastest Sony response:

"Sony Pictures Home Entertainment said it has not received any complaints from distributors regarding its discs." < My current favorite.

Free cookie to the first one to find the techincality in that sentence!

Last edited by a moderator:
"We have not had any negative feedback on our BR releases from any of our distributors." < My current favorite.

They only polled their own distributors about their own BR titles?

So why does everyone care? Unless you have stock into this, why does it matter?

Honestly, as long as there is enough to get the games to the people and the media doesnt cause a rise prices I could care less if its 8% or 80% yields.

Well heh, "according to Microsoft" was enough to send tongues wagging about BD50 yields before.. :devilish: :p

MS spin, Sony spin, I'd hate to pick which is worse. Both companies cling to fantasies. Sony clings to the fantasy that everything is going according to plan, and MS clings to the fantasy that they'll have an installed base of 10million xbox 360s when the ps3 arrives. Both equally delusional, imo.

Some people seem to have a vested interest in this HD-DVD VS Bluray thing. Spot the spin here:

Ding Ding Ding! Winner!

According the lastest Sony response:

"Sony Pictures Home Entertainment said it has not received any complaints from distributors regarding its discs." < My current favorite.

OtakingGX said:
They only polled their own distributors about their own BR titles?

Ding Ding Ding indeed! This is not about BR titles, this is about supposed defects on BR media. It would hardly make sense for Sony to poll HD-DVD content distributors about defects in BR media now would it? Also I would think that BR content distributors would complain very vociferously to Sony as well as sue Sony for compensation if their media had the unacceptability high defect rates suggested. Content distributors are not stuck on one format - many will distribute titles on both formats, and they are free to switch format if they choose since they contract out the pressing of discs.

I thought the difficulties were in producing the blank media, not burning them. Is that right?

Back