New Final Fantasy III Gameplay Footage - WOW

this is freaking genius :oops:

hell, i don't know how much ninty are making off the ds, but a certain japanese devhouse is about to hit the jackpot..

Last edited by a moderator:
I was kind of underwhelmed by the touchscreen interface as I found it getting in the way of viewing things especially when moving throughout the world.

It was certainly more intuitive for combat but didn't seem to save any time though.

I was kind of underwhelmed by the touchscreen interface as I found it getting in the way of viewing things especially when moving throughout the world.

It was certainly more intuitive for combat but didn't seem to save any time though.

well, i for one never enjoyed cycling with directional navigation through the enemies ('quick left, left, up - attack! - damn, wrong monster again!'). as about world navigation, i wouldn't be surprised if that ended up available in its classic form too.

well, i for one never enjoyed cycling with directional navigation through the enemies ('quick left, left, up - attack! - damn, wrong monster again!'). as about world navigation, i wouldn't be surprised if that ended up available in its classic form too.

Yea, that's why I was saying for combat, it was more intuitive but didn't save much time because I normally have no issue selecting who I want to attack as enemies are usually laid out fairly clearly in a left to right fashion so I know how many times to tap left or right.

And I would expect all controls to be available in it's classic format as well.

I was just hoping for a more courageous implementation of touch screen controls - like for puzzles or attack combos but I guess since this is really just a port, that's the most they want to do - remain true to the game. I'm still excited by it though and will definitely get it for my DS, might even get a DS Lite if they fix the epidemic of cracking.

Yea, that's why I was saying for combat, it was more intuitive but didn't save much time because I normally have no issue selecting who I want to attack as enemies are usually laid out fairly clearly in a left to right fashion so I know how many times to tap left or right.

And I would expect all controls to be available in it's classic format as well.

I was just hoping for a more courageous implementation of touch screen controls - like for puzzles or attack combos but I guess since this is really just a port, that's the most they want to do - remain true to the game. I'm still excited by it though and will definitely get it for my DS, might even get a DS Lite if they fix the epidemic of cracking.

cracking? Nobody I know has had any problems with this, is it really that widespread?

Naturally I have no clue just how widespread the problem is %-wise but of course, the more you sell, the more problems you will have in terms of absolute #s - but the # of reports I've seen is pretty high, especially when you consider that it hasn't been out very long.

You can check out HardOCP.com, they even talk about it on their site.

Naturally I have no clue just how widespread the problem is %-wise but of course, the more you sell, the more problems you will have in terms of absolute #s - but the # of reports I've seen is pretty high, especially when you consider that it hasn't been out very long.

According to this IGN article this defects only occured in the first batch of DS Lite and Nintendo's customer service will replace it if you contact them. Apparently the plastic deformed a little during the cooling process.

I mostly agree. Recent Final Fantasy games were practically limited to three enemies at most, so navigation has been pretty straight-forward. Exceptions have been made for boss fights though (definitely FF-X) and it does get kinda iffy with more than three targets IMO.

I just don't know for sure if that's something that Square already knew to be careful with when FF3 was designed. Maybe groups of four or five enemies are common encounters? Never played the original FF3, so ...

On a different note I'm a little bit disappointed that, during combat, the characters don't seem to move when they make their attacks. This is staying true to the old 2D FFs but it doesn't translate well to 3D IMO.
Starting with FF7 Square put in these run-over'n'whack'n'run-back animations and they really made combat feel more dynamic.

On a different note I'm a little bit disappointed that, during combat, the characters don't seem to move when they make their attacks. This is staying true to the old 2D FFs but it doesn't translate well to 3D IMO.
Starting with FF7 Square put in these run-over'n'whack'n'run-back animations and they really made combat feel more dynamic.

Hmm, you're right, and it was something I didn't think about until you brought it up. When I go over the combat from the video in my mind, it did seem a bit underwhelming, too stand off-ish. I hope it's just got something to do with the weapons the characters had at the time.

Can anyone else who knows FF3 chime in on this?

Hmm, you're right, and it was something I didn't think about until you brought it up. When I go over the combat from the video in my mind, it did seem a bit underwhelming, too stand off-ish. I hope it's just got something to do with the weapons the characters had at the time.

Can anyone else who knows FF3 chime in on this?

That's just the way FF is. All basic attacks work like this. But when u do a special attack your character will usually approach the enemy then. Take a look at this video"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08mlTOysbF8

When the Dragoon jumps up to do it's attack where it comes down from the sky with a spear the character actually hits the enemy...

That's just the way FF is. All basic attacks work like this. But when u do a special attack your character will usually approach the enemy then. Take a look at this video"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08mlTOysbF8

When the Dragoon jumps up to do it's attack where it comes down from the sky with a spear the character actually hits the enemy...

That's not true at all, at least not since FFVI (don't remember if it was also the case with FFIV or V , it’s been a long time )

That's not true at all, at least not since FFVI (don't remember if it was also the case with FFIV or V , it’s been a long time )

Well I'm playing FF IV Advance right now and it's certainly true for this game... So maybe just the earlier games were like this.

There's no youtube link I can give you to prove it, but I can assure you that 7,8,9 and 10 all had characters (or weapons, in case of ranged attacks) moving over to their targets for standard attacks. All the time. Definitely. I played them all, and they're still here with me. 7 and 8 on the PC, 9 and 10 on the 'station.

(now where's Guden, the champion of the lite? ; )

AH HAH! I heard that! :)
Actually, I'm on vacation in the US right now (see general forum), so I haven't been able to keep myself up-to-date on things. If the DS browser had been released before I left then things would be different, but alas... There are wifi hotspots galore, but NO decent internet cafes that I have been able to see, not like London where you find huge and fairly cheap ones. Those I have found have been small, and ripoff expensive.

Not been able to see the movie, but I can imagine that touchscreen must be wonderful to use for FF battles. I am really excited!

And FFIV for the SNES (III in the west I believe) did in fact have player chars moving to strike the enemy. Have the ninja throw stars at a badguy, you see him pelt the enemy with stars when you hit higher levels... And in FFVI, when you did a Blitz attack with Sabin for example, he would jump up to (or in line of) the enemy and let loose, etc.

And FFIV for the SNES (III in the west I believe) did in fact have player chars moving to strike the enemy. Have the ninja throw stars at a badguy, you see him pelt the enemy with stars when you hit higher levels... And in FFVI, when you did a Blitz attack with Sabin for example, he would jump up to (or in line of) the enemy and let loose, etc.

Not exactly.

Final Fantasy series pre FF7 only had characters make contact with the enemies for special attacks. Regular attacks involved nothing more than a short hop forward.

I think people mainly disassociate that from FFVI because all the characters had more and diverse special attacks (thus making you want to use them ;) ), and a wider variety of moves in general than previous FF's.

Personally I've always found the "run back to the skirmish line" rather silly-looking even when they DO move about more. I wish they'd make more use of the 3D space and allow characters to "attack and back off elsewhere," letting you set up flanking moves, etc. They had the stray chance of flanking to start OFF combat, but I'd rather see more in-combat tactics and the ability to create vulnerable situations. (Instead of just knowing what element they're weak to. 8-P )

Last edited by a moderator:
Back