Naughty Dog's New IP (Pics)

Strangely, even though I'm the first to appreciate a non-bald main character and a Pitfall-like setting, something disturbed me as well when I first saw the trailer during the Sony conference. I can't put my finger on what exactly it was except that it was clearly graphics-related, but I can certainly sympathize with the feeling. I don't believe it is the "uncanny valley" principle, as the overall look of the game is not nearly that realistic. Can anyone identify the strangeness of this game's graphics?

Yeah I notice that too..I guess it's just the style..it's like a lot of foreground detail..everything is in close..I dunno..

I share Faf's doubts if this is real time..however it's not so amazing I cant see it happening.

Oh so now we have to change the contrast, brightness settings and color settings for each individual game now? What's next wear sunglasses to play a specific game?
as Fafalada said, btw u will notice a lot of pc games in fact have the option to change gamma, brightness. u complained about the lighting so i done a simple alteration (in no way adding content). as Fafalada said the look has more to do with the artists desire then any graphic limitations

Actually shadows are one thing that made me suspicious about the trailer(when seeing it in HD) - they are far better quality in terms of shadow resolution/aliasing then anything currently using shadowmaps that I've seen before and at E3, regardless of the platform.
I'll wait and see until I'm fully convinced about this trailer being realtime.
yeah im suspicious as well (it looks like the shadow has a decent penumbra). like i said before this is far in advance of anything out now or anounced so i have my doubts

zed said:
as Fafalada said, btw u will notice a lot of pc games in fact have the option to change gamma, brightness. u complained about the lighting so i done a simple alteration (in no way adding content). as Fafalada said the look has more to do with the artists desire then any graphic limitations

I didn't claim it was a technical limitation did I? The fact you believe this is at least as good as KZ2 trailer puts your ability to make fair comparisons under question.

zed said:
edit - btw dont judge gears of war by a lot of the screenshots floating around on the web, the majority arent actual ingame screenshots. the ingame stuff is much lower quality. perhaps its the same with this naughty dog video we've seen, im still not 100% its actual ingame stuff

watching cliff play the game during e3... I disagree.

blakjedi said:
watching cliff play the game during e3... I disagree.
post a link to an ingame video (not to large) or (perhaps) screenshots and i'll show you where the quality has dropped off. im guessing the reason for the drop in quality from the stuff shown ~1/2year and older to whats shown now, is the older stuff was running on a 1000's $ pc (eg with sli cards etc) and they found that the xb360 wasnt able to match it.

Axsider said:
You have to play the game to see how beautiful it looks. The atmosphere is jaw-dropping

Oh crap your back. Did you see someone playing the game or did you just see a different video? And Axisider clear your mailbox. Please.

Last edited by a moderator:
zed said:
post a link to an ingame video (not to large) or (perhaps) screenshots and i'll show you where the quality has dropped off. im guessing the reason for the drop in quality from the stuff shown ~1/2year and older to whats shown now, is the older stuff was running on a 1000's $ pc (eg with sli cards etc) and they found that the xb360 wasnt able to match it.

according to everything they've said publically the game has improved considerably over the last year. When screenshots were leaked a few months ago, the team came out and stated those were old shots from last summer, and the game in it's current form looks much better.

Maybe it's because you had direct feed media last year, and now we've had nothing but shaky cam?

Back