"The Origami project": MS new lifestyle portable?

EndR

Regular
(old?)

First, the viral marketing concept that MS has used for a while now..

"hello ... do you know me? ... do you know what i can do? ... and where i can go? ... or how I can change your life? ... you will. ... learn more on 3.2.06. ... "

http://www.origamiproject.com/
---------

Then Engadgets view of things...

"So today Microsoft officially flipped the switch on the buzz machine for their Origami Project -- an atypical viral marketing manuveur for a company whose products are usually known about years ahead of time. Scoble says its a device, the Internet's lighting up with rumors -- is it the Xbox portable? Well, we dunno, but as usual got our hands on some pictures. And as usual we can't guarantee they're the real deal, though we are pretty confident in their source. So, let's go over it: these were sent to us detailing it as a Microsoft portable media player, which wouldn't be too far off from what Jobs and BusinessWeek both prophesied Microsoft doing (despite being pretty broadly denied from within)."

origami_1.jpg

origami_2.jpg

"Now, here's the tricky part with these pictures -- what's with the keyboard and stylus? Because the last time we checked, their Portable Media Center (PMC) OS didn't have (known) support for touchscreen and keyboard input. So is this some new portable OS platform running on CE.net? Or perhaps it's just a fat little Pocket PC device with some media software? Or something totally different -- could Microsoft beat Apple to the punch with the first serious touchscreen portable media device? Or maybe, just maybe, it's that ultramobile lifestyle PC Microsoft was talking about recently. Kinda seems like no matter what the answer, we're all gonna be pretty surprised (for better or worse) come announcement day, March 2nd, being that Microsoft's "not in the hardware biz." (No, peripherals don't count.) But hell, we can't even tell you for sure if these photos are legit, so here we are."

source:
http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/24/microsofts-origami-project/
---------

MS has an license agreement with Transmeta regarding their tech-stuff for a new product?

"On May 12, 2005, we entered into a series of related definitive development services agreements with Microsoft Corporation, under which agreements we will provide development services to Microsoft relating to a proprietary Microsoft project.
---------

Interesting..

knowing MS' idea of portables, i herreby predict that if you wait to see the price tag and battery life of this thing, you'll start to consider the design as not being an issue at all : )

don't forget there are a lot of people out there who would kill for a micro sized tablet PC... It will be interesting to see how it turns out. Add in Wifi, bluetooth, maybe even celular reception and you have got quite the beastly little machine.

One thing that is odd, however, is the Mac PC in the background of the first picture...

Graham said:
don't forget there are a lot of people out there who would kill for a micro sized tablet PC... It will be interesting to see how it turns out. Add in Wifi, bluetooth, maybe even celular reception and you have got quite the beastly little machine.

One thing that is odd, however, is the Mac PC in the background of the first picture...
uhhhhhh...PDA's fills that void. This thing is so ugly. I also reminds me of the xbox showing and from what i see it doesn't do much more than PSP.

Bit more info here.

Lots of speculation about an Efficeon CPU. Beyond esthetic considerations, anyone care to speculate on what kind of GPU hardware this thing might sport since mobile gaming appears to be on the menu?

kemosabe said:
Bit more info here.

Lots of speculation about an Efficeon CPU. Beyond esthetic considerations, anyone care to speculate on what kind of GPU hardware this thing might sport since mobile gaming appears to be on the menu?

I always thought that being able to play XBLA games on it would be important but judging from GW i dont think thats viable...

EDIT:Seems to be 2 different versions, the green/white one and the greyish/silver one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, I didn't notice the 2 different version before. Maybe one is slightly bigger?

For just web browsing and gaming, it already looks worth buying. If it does video streaming, like for "Placeshifting," for something like Slingbox or Sage TV, then it's a must buy.

I'd jump at the chance to buy something like that. I find PDAs to be too small for large amounts of note-taking, but full size tablets are not as portible. I really like the configuration in the gaming segment in the video that they put up, where it's a leather-like binder for the tablet with a built in keyboard. Just add a detachable stand for the back, and you're all set. It would also protect it when you drop it.

It's datebook size, that's like the perfect size between a notebook pc and a pocket pc.

I hope that datebook cover with the keyboard is one of the accessories. I wouldn't want a normal carrying case of that size... because it would look like a man-purse. :)

If only it had video output to projectors, I could buy one at work for presentations :)

video looks very sleek.

I remenber the Xbox being green lighted, Bill gates had to choose Xbox over one other project at that time. Has anybody a link for that ?? I think it was told in the book on the origin of the Xbox (with the project Midway and so on ..)

If it's not a laptop, nor a true portable multimedia player, what is it? And who would buy it?
PDA's we've been there seen them, what makes this different from a PDA, other than the slightly clunkier size?

rabidrabbit said:
If it's not a laptop, nor a true portable multimedia player, what is it? And who would buy it?
PDA's we've been there seen them, what makes this different from a PDA, other than the slightly clunkier size?

Not to mention what something like this would cost. I seriously doubt theyre taking a loss on this hardware like the xbox.

expletive said:
Not to mention what something like this would cost. I seriously doubt theyre taking a loss on this hardware like the xbox.

Just for yukes what do you think the price will be? I thinking $1000 what about you?

*Keep in mind I don't know about half of the technology that this thing will have yet, so that my estimate as that.

mckmas8808 said:
Just for yukes what do you think the price will be? I thinking $1000 what about you?

*Keep in mind I don't know about half of the technology that this thing will have yet, so that my estimate as that.

Jeez i dunno. Like rabbit said it depends on who their market is for something like this. I htink theres usually 'sweet spots' in pricing that you can charge for different devices. consoles have been in that 299 range for awhile now but they seem to be selling this as a 'professional' device more than just a luxury item, like a blackberry on steroids.

If thats the market, then i suppose $500 to $1000 is probably the range. We'll be able to speculate much better once we get some specs. :)

EDIT: I think the main thing we need to understand from the specs and features is if this thing is a competitor to the PSP. Based on the video, i would say 'no'. However if it is, then i put the price at 499 with a decent sized hard drive.

Hmm...could be the perfect addition to Windows Vista. Stream content anywhere via internet from your home PC, essentially their answer to the PSP:pS3 location free streaming technology, but it doesn't require any extra design to the console as the PC will actually handle the distribution/encoding tasks.

Cool idea, but it looks fugly. I love the big screen size, but the controls look horrible.

If it were marketed to the business consumer, why would they have shown it playing Halo? Why even bother supporting big games like Halo if you aren't targeting gamers? Hopefully we'll get some real info in a couple days.

Now I've seen better pics of it, and it is indeed quite a bit larger than a PDA, iPod Video or PSP.
A tablet PC is more in the same size ballpark.
Can't really see a market for this. A laptop can be had for $500 already, not a top of the line fast laptop, but I'd believe one that would still be more powerful than "Origami".
With little to no effort a laptop could I believe also perform all the functions this device is supposed to, with better input and ergonomics.
Streaming from vista to compete PS3+PSP+Location Free... well, you do need the extra PC for that, in addition to xbox360, so I "extra design to the console" vs. "extra PC"...hmmm I wonder which would be better if you didn't have a powerful enough PC already at home.

For portable gameplaying, Halo or not, and media it really looks to be way too big and clumsy.
Hell, already the PSP is so-so when it comes to portability :D
For not-so-portable gameplaying and media, it's not large enough.

Back