I need another hard drive....

The 200Gb for $87 wins, keeping it under $100 is a psychological victory and keeping it under $90 is even better. :)

I'll put it in Bubbles and give Justin my 80Gb, he needs more room on Blackwell....and I'll have to do a bloody re-install again but I'll finally have my OS on a SATA drive which should be quicker since nVidia's IDE drivers still suck.

I have a 200Gb SATA along with an 80Gb EIDE currently, and I just love the SATA one to death!

nVidia's IDE drivers still blow chunks, but the SATA ones seem fine. My plan is to dump my 80Gb off on my son who's in desperate need of some more HD room and to partition off the new 200Gb one as my new system drive...and some storage. ;)

Powderkeg said:
Seagate drives suck. They have every since Western Digital bought them.

Countdown to anecdotal evidence on HDD reliablity, which has no grounding in fact... :rolleyes:

PaulS said:
Countdown to anecdotal evidence on HDD reliablity, which has no grounding in fact... :rolleyes:
rofl.gif

Yeah, I tend to base my opinions on a bit broader range of input too....and also prefer to use my own anecdotal experience with the different brands to guide me decision.

I like Seagate, I've had good fortune with the ones I've owned. :)

When did WD buy Seagate? I'm all confused.

I've been quite happy with my 300GB seagate drive. Quiet, fast, and a 5 year warranty. No way I'm buying a HD with only a 1 year warranty, I've had that hurt me in the past (I'm looking at you WD). I'm not sure what the warranty is on the Seagate OEM drives, though. Is it 5 years like the retail drives?

WD bought Seagate? I don't remember that. I remember Seagate buying Quantum and Hitachi buying out IBM's HD bidness, but I think WD and Seagate are still separate, competing entities.

BTW, digi, if the HD chatters when it's not being accessed, apparently that's Seeks To Increase Reliability, or some preemptive error checking. I asked about it in relation to my 160GB PATA Seagate, and threads in both Ars and SPCR say it's normal. Its frequency seems to reduce with time, so don't worry too much about it.

Maxtor bought Quantum's HDD division, my uncle used to work for Quantum and he gave me many SCSI drives and cards. Those were the days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_Corporation

He hasn't given any Quantum T-shirts and he promised to give me one from the last project he was working on before he got laid off after the merger. Project Orca I think it was called.

Pete said:
BTW, digi, if the HD chatters when it's not being accessed, apparently that's Seeks To Increase Reliability, or some preemptive error checking. I asked about it in relation to my 160GB PATA Seagate, and threads in both Ars and SPCR say it's normal. Its frequency seems to reduce with time, so don't worry too much about it.
If I can hear it chatter over the sound of all my fans I will be downright scared! ;)

I'm a big believer in ventilation, and I find the sounds of PC fans soothing. (Really I do, I'm weird that way.)

buoy, whoops! Thanks for the correction.

dig, I'm working on fans that recreate the sound of the ocean right now! ;)

Pete said:
WD bought Seagate? I don't remember that. I remember Seagate buying Quantum and Hitachi buying out IBM's HD bidness, but I think WD and Seagate are still separate, competing entities.

You're right, my bad. 24 hours awake and only 3 hours of sleep does strange things to you I guess.

Er, I thought Hitachi bought out IBM's HD division? 'S OK, we'll talk after you get some sleep and some caffeine. :)

Hitachi bought the IBM hard drive division.
Quantum was acquired by Maxtor.
Seagate is Seagate.
Western Digital is Western Digital.

But don't take my word for it. I haven't slept for a very long time (as is the trend around here ;))

Powderkeg said:

IBM no longer makes hard drives, they're technology was purchased by Hitachi. So do you mean Hitachi drives?

And no, Western Digital did not buy Seagate, they are very much seperate companies.

I've seen drives fail from all of them, nothing is perfect. Actually, one of my friends 200 GB WDs failed recently and they sent him a new 300 GB as a replacement. I've also had a WD for 5 years now without a problem and two Maxtors for 3 years.

Back