Ultra bright white LEDs may rival HID lamps by end of 2006.

PC-Engine

Banned
200506citizen_Car.jpg

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20050622/106025/

Citizen Electronics Co., Ltd. has developed the CL-L100 series of white light-emitting diodes (LEDs) claiming the world's most intense light beam of 245 lm per package. The power supply needed to create the 245 lm beam is 3.5 W, with light emission efficiency reaching 70 lm/W. "This efficiency is almost equivalent to a fluorescent bulb," said a company spokesperson. If ten of these white LEDs are connected and operated at 12 V, a beam of 2,450 lm can be generated at 35 W. This represents about 60% the power consumption and about 1.6 times the beam intensity of an automotive halogen lamp.

digitalwanderer said:
Woah, I have a feeling that will find itself handy for quite a few applications. A great breakthru! :)

Yep it looks like bye bye to halogen if they can make it cheap enough. I have a flashlight that uses a single 1W LED and it's pretty bright, but this new ultra bright LED is really bright.

That's how I was thinking too. I love me little LED flashlights and find their power/power useage just amazing, I'd like to see that performance scaled up a little bigger though.

This seems like it'll fit the bill. 8)

RussSchultz said:
I think it'll be a good fit for home theater projectors and TVs, also.

Ah good point, that'll put an end to those expensive and hot running xenon replacement lamps. Less noise from the fan too.

Well, at 35W draw, it'll still run pretty hot, and it might also be fairly expensive, who knows... What I wonder primarily tho is the life expectancy of this thing. From what I've read of things like this, it seems they're made up of arrays of individual LEDs, and the light level will of course start to drop once these LEDs begin to fail. Also, the LEDs might dim before they fail. Still, better than a regular incandescent lamp where if the filament breaks the lamp goes out entirely... Sort of a "soft-fail" lightsource. :p

Well 35W is a lot lower and cooler than the 200W+ from the xenon bulbs used in projectors. Also xenon bulbs lose their full brightness pretty fast too so the fact LEDs lose their brightness over times isn't a cause for concern. HID is fairly low power but they need a high voltage ballast to jump start the lamps. HIDs are very expensive too.

It seems touching these LED lamps stimulates arm (and possibly rest of body) hair growth a lot however, this might be a serious drawback. Particulary for women... :p

Anyway, I saw a TV show years ago about a lighting system that used basically a microwave oven magnetron coupled to a fluorescent light tube. It was said this system was very efficient, and could maintain the light level evenly over a very long distance. Was supposedly ideal for parking garages and such... Unfortunately, the program didn't go into any greater detail, so this is all I know about it.

Guden Oden said:
Well, at 35W draw, it'll still run pretty hot, and it might also be fairly expensive, who knows... What I wonder primarily tho is the life expectancy of this thing. From what I've read of things like this, it seems they're made up of arrays of individual LEDs, and the light level will of course start to drop once these LEDs begin to fail. Also, the LEDs might dim before they fail. Still, better than a regular incandescent lamp where if the filament breaks the lamp goes out entirely... Sort of a "soft-fail" lightsource. :p
Xenon bulbs lose their brightness over time, prior to failure, also.

The new white LED consists of blue LED chips and a yellow fluorescent material. To create an intense beam, Citizen Electronics embedded 24 blue LED chips within a package. Furthermore, the substrate embedded with the chips is designed to efficiently radiate blue light emitted by the chips onto the fluorescent material and outside of the package. To prevent the light emission efficiency from dropping due to higher temperatures from the relatively large power supply of 3.5 W, the substrate uses Cu, which is highly thermal conductive. Thermal resistance of a package including the chips is 6 K/W, 1/5 that of the company's 60 lm sample product currently being shipped. The company will use blue LED chips supplied by Nichia Corp.

These are actually blue LEDs with a yellow filter (basically). They aren't full spectrum, so using them for projector purposes would probably be less than ideal. It will be much more interesting when they can make full spectrum light at 70-90lumens/watt.

Nite_Hawk

Nite_Hawk said:
The new white LED consists of blue LED chips and a yellow fluorescent material. To create an intense beam, Citizen Electronics embedded 24 blue LED chips within a package. Furthermore, the substrate embedded with the chips is designed to efficiently radiate blue light emitted by the chips onto the fluorescent material and outside of the package. To prevent the light emission efficiency from dropping due to higher temperatures from the relatively large power supply of 3.5 W, the substrate uses Cu, which is highly thermal conductive. Thermal resistance of a package including the chips is 6 K/W, 1/5 that of the company's 60 lm sample product currently being shipped. The company will use blue LED chips supplied by Nichia Corp.

These are actually blue LEDs with a yellow filter (basically). They aren't full spectrum, so using them for projector purposes would probably be less than ideal. It will be much more interesting when they can make full spectrum light at 70-90lumens/watt.

Nite_Hawk

Xenons bulbs used in projectors aren't full spectrum either...

Guden Oden said:
PC-Engine said:
I personally use LED flashlights from INOVA.
Ever tried a Sony LED flashlight? :devilish::devilish::devilish:

If they exist, they probably aren't very reliable or high quality and/or use proprietary batteries. :p

Anyway I'm currently using the Inova X1 flashlight. It's pretty neat because it projects a sharp edged spotlight instead of the regular soft edged ones. It's also water proof to 100 meters and crush proof to +2000 lbs. It also has an anti-reflective, double-coated glass lens and aircraft aluminum body with military-grade, Type III anodizing. Finally it's power-regulated to maintain peak brightness over the life of the battery.

This is what the spotlight looks like.

x1-titan-white.jpg

I plan on getting the new X03 which uses a new 3W LED instead of the old 1W LED in my X1. The new 3W LED puts out 82 lumens.

Are you sure the X1 is waterproof to 100m? Though the case is considered by them to be waterproof, they tell you not to use it as a dive light. Most retailers consider them to be water resistent.

XO3 might have an issue with the TIROS lens rattling.

I recommend looking into Surefires. Not as sexy looking as Inova's but very practical though quite a bit more expensive. Truly tactical lights.

Back