DAMN IT!!! Hunting for new viddy card to replace 9700 pro.

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
So I'm pretty much exactly where I did NOT want to be, I'm in the position where I have to replace my engineering sample 9700 pro because she's starting to fail. The mysterious pink lines disapeared, but I fear it's a warning and it's only a matter of time. :(

The best bang-for-buck that I've found so far is the Dell deal for a X800 pro with 16 pipes for $330 that someone posted up about at EB:

digitalwanderer said:
seraph said:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A0370414

thats a pretty damn good price, right?
Dell said:
The RADEONâ„¢ X800 Pro 256 MB AGP Graphics Card from ATI Technologies provides visually stunning gaming experience for the avid gamer by optimizing graphics performance and image quality. It features fast and efficient 256 MB of GDDR3 memory and offers resolutions of up to 2048x1536 pixels to enhance the performance of your 3D applications. With up to 16 pipelines, high clock speeds and excellent image enhancement technology, the RADEONâ„¢ X800 provides a smooth, responsive High Definition gaming experience, putting capable gamers in complete control of even the most demanding game titles.
(Bold mine)

I thought the Pro was a 12 pipe card? :|
Problem is as quoted above, I ain't never heard of a 16 pipe Pro. :?

I wrote a couple of e-mails to ATi for clarification, what is the best/cheapest nVidia card that would compete with that?

Re: DAMN IT!!! Hunting for new viddy card to replace 9700 p

digitalwanderer said:

The Pro is officially a 12 pipe card, but (for instance) the Gigabyte X800 Pro Vivos came with 16 pipes enabled out of the box.

Re: DAMN IT!!! Hunting for new viddy card to replace 9700 p

digitalwanderer said:
So I'm pretty much exactly where I did NOT want to be, I'm in the position where I have to replace my engineering sample 9700 pro because she's starting to fail. The mysterious pink lines disapeared, but I fear it's a warning and it's only a matter of time. :(

The best bang-for-buck that I've found so far is the Dell deal for a X800 pro with 16 pipes for $330 that someone posted up about at EB:

digitalwanderer said:
seraph said:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A0370414

thats a pretty damn good price, right?

Digitalwanderer, that is a quote on the X800 series , not necessarily on Dell's X800 Pro read it again :)
Dell said:
The RADEONâ„¢ X800 Pro 256 MB AGP Graphics Card from ATI Technologies provides visually stunning gaming experience for the avid gamer by optimizing graphics performance and image quality. It features fast and efficient 256 MB of GDDR3 memory and offers resolutions of up to 2048x1536 pixels to enhance the performance of your 3D applications. With up to 16 pipelines, high clock speeds and excellent image enhancement technology, the RADEONâ„¢ X800 provides a smooth, responsive High Definition gaming experience, putting capable gamers in complete control of even the most demanding game titles.
(Bold mine)

I wrote a couple of e-mails to ATi for clarification, what is the best/cheapest nVidia card that would compete with that?

Digital read it again With up to 16 pipelines , high clock speeds and excellent image enhancement technology, the RADEON X800

yea . The x800pro at dell is 12 pipeline. Its an offical ati card. The 16 pipe line x800xt pe is only 415$ at dell though.

I think its easily the best performance / money ratio.

Its cheaper than a 6800gt or x800pro if u went to a store and bought it

hehe well if thats true the pro at 333$ is a great deal too :) Its only 45$ more than the best price i can find on the 6800 non ultra and will give 6800gt performance in most cases (others less , others more)

mondoterrifico said:
What are you going to do with your possibly defective card?
Mount it lovingly on black velvet and frame it for me den, the card has too much sentimental value for me to ever part with it. 8)

I don't know what I'm gonna do. My 9700 pro seems to be working spiffy now, but I think it's just a matter of time so I'm looking too. :(

mondoterrifico said:
What are you going to do with your possibly defective card?
Mount it lovingly on black velvet and frame it for me den, the card has too much sentimental value for me to ever part with it. 8)

I don't know what I'm gonna do. My 9700 pro seems to be working spiffy now, but I think it's just a matter of time so I'm looking too. :(

ben6 said:
digitalwanderer, you in the US?
Yup; Highland, Indiana US of A....the heart-o-the-heartland. 8)

I did consider the 9800 pro as an emergency replacement if'n it goes out, I got $300 in me wallet and I know they're in stock at me local Circuit City for $250. (Yeah, I'd pay $50 extry just to be able to run out to somewhere a mile from here and buy it...if me 9700 pro goes out I'll go into a full-blown panic, I'm kind of weird that way.)

Back