2024 may not be kind for game developers.

If you're in the US, it's called pulling yourself up by the bootstraps. You just gotta WANT it, right?

Microsoft lays off further 650 Xbox staff, no games cancelled or studios closed​

"For the past year, our goal has been to minimise disruption while welcoming new teams and enabling them to do their best work. As part of aligning our post-acquisition team structure and managing our business, we have made the decision to eliminate approximately 650 roles across Microsoft Gaming - mostly corporate and supporting functions - to organise our business for long term success," reads Spencer's email.

"As part of aligning our post-acquisition team structure and managing our business"

Oh yeah. This time he was very clear, not even cared to hide ABK was a significant part of the layoffs, if not almost the entirety of it.

At this is point I hope everyone here realizes consolidation is bad for everyone but execs. Big companies buying publishers is not good for the industry, period.

Last edited:

Microsoft lays off further 650 Xbox staff, no games cancelled or studios closed​

"For the past year, our goal has been to minimise disruption while welcoming new teams and enabling them to do their best work. As part of aligning our post-acquisition team structure and managing our business, we have made the decision to eliminate approximately 650 roles across Microsoft Gaming - mostly corporate and supporting functions - to organise our business for long term success," reads Spencer's email.

Unfortunately, they could do a dozen more layoffs of that size and not come close to $70 billion, meaning they will likely keep whittling down staff.

The games industry is undergoing a 'generational change,' says Epic CEO Tim Sweeney: 'A lot of games are released with high budgets, and they're not selling'

Could gamers playing Fortnite for years, buying all kinds of in-game crap, be contributing to slow sales of AAA games?

Great for him but doesn't Epic also get a licensing fee per-unit sold for games using Unreal Engine?

Could gamers playing Fortnite for years, buying all kinds of in-game crap, be contributing to slow sales of AAA games?

Great for him but doesn't Epic also get a licensing fee per-unit sold for games using Unreal Engine?
Yes, of course Fortnite's success is going to have an effect on other games, because it's competing for the same time and dollars. Fortnite hit 110 million concurrent players last year, I'm not sure if they've passed that record yet this year.

And yes, epic collects a single digit percentage from games using unreal engine. I think it was 5, and they dropped it to 3 or 3.5% if a game launches into EGS day 1, even if it's not exclusive.

The games industry is undergoing a 'generational change,' says Epic CEO Tim Sweeney: 'A lot of games are released with high budgets, and they're not selling'
That's not really a change. Back in the 90s, 70% of games failed to make their investment back, including AAA titles. The only difference now is the sums of money being spent and lost, but I wonder if it's actually worse than before?

I guess we should really check my assertion that AAA investments also failed, or was their a higher success rate back then where blowing big money actually did increase success for a title?

Back