NVIDIA discussion [2024]

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-h20-ai-accelerators-next-us-ban-rumor-stops-taking-new-orders-china/

a potential H20 AI GPU ban are looming in the markets, due to which, Team Green has reportedly halted the sale of its accelerator to Chinese companies, as reported by Taiwan Economic Daily. It is said that NVIDIA has stopped accepting new orders for the H20 accelerator and hasn't specified a reason behind it, but it's highly likely that the firm is prepping for a potential revision in the US trade policy.

How I imagine that meeting preparation went:

"How do we get them to spend tens of billions more on things we're going to make a lot of money from?"

"Say they'll make money and it'll help against the big bad!"

Next thing you know they'll be saying doctors recommend OpenAI and saying that it's good for you. It's cool to see the limits of what's possible being pushed but >100x great power consumption from today (about 30-40MW for Fugaku and Aurora) seems incredibly unsustainable and something that'll backfire in the next 10-15 years.

An alliance between BlackRock, Microsoft, Global Infrastructure Partners (GIP) and MGX was announced in September 2024 with a goal of building the backbone of future AI infrastructure.

The new Global AI Infrastructure Investment Partnership (GAIIP) announced that it planned to raise $80 billion to $100 billion to build data centers and, perhaps more importantly, the supporting grid energy infrastructure to power them.
An initial $30 billion of private equity capital announced by GAIIP is planned to be raised by investors, corporations and asset owners, with a goal of enabling an increase to $100 billion, which can include debt financing.

Development plans include new energy plants and building new AI infrastructure, with an expectation that GAIIP will benefit from new policies that encourage private investment in the utility sector.

NVIDIA is on-board as an official technical advisor, with plans to design GAIIP’s infrastructure to integrate with NVIDIA’s AI factories and full-stack computing platforms so that performance can be maximized for AI and HPC workloads.
NVIDIA’s expertise in AI factories – which it defines as data centers "tailored to AI workloads" – would help guide the design and expansion objectives of GAIIP’s infrastructure in the face of mounting demands from generative AI, deep learning, and other cutting-edge artificial intelligence technologies.

But this isn’t just an NVIDIA game. The partnership has committed to an open architecture and inclusive design, and wants to facilitate engagement of a large number of partners, making sure that a very large ecosystem exists that can access its data centers and infrastructure.

Pharma you post at 7:12 makes no sense
The title claims Super Micro is Nvidia's third largest customer
then the first line claims Nvidia is a client of Super Micro, so who's the customer Super Micro or Nvidia ?

Pharma you post at 7:12 makes no sense
The title claims Super Micro is Nvidia's third largest customer
then the first line claims Nvidia is a client of Super Micro, so who's the customer Super Micro or Nvidia ?
It makes sense but shows how convoluted the industry has become.
Typically... customer = product, client = service.
Corporate speak will blur the lines and make their own definitions when it suits them.

They're both right, I think you might have just misunderstood.

For SuperMicro, their biggest customer is NVIDIA. Meaning nobody buys more SuperMicro than NVIDIA does. Remember, NVIDIA actually has to buy servers, they don't make them, and apparently they buy their servers from SuperMicro. Also keep in mind SuperMicro does literally everything from building their own ASICs and motherboards to building entire physical datacenters, and literally everything in between.

For NVIDIA, their 3rd biggest customer is SuperMicro. Meaning only two other entities buy more NVIDIA than SuperMicro does. And having recently attended a conference with SuperMicro, their biggest profit comes from selling entire racks prestacked with servers and NVIDIA GPUs. Remember above when I mentioned SuperMicro builds datacenters? You can just call them, and say "I want a 2GW 250,000sqft datacenter and I want you to build it for me" and they can do the entire thing.

Nothing about those two statements is incongruent.

@Davros ... do are you referring to the 2:12 pm post and is this the sentence?
Bear in mind that Super Micro Computer is NVIDIA's third-largest customer. What's more, SMCI's biggest client is NVIDIA, and its second-biggest client is an entity that is backed by NVIDIA.
I assume they are referring to the symbiotic relationship between Super Micro and Nvidia.

Back