Switch 2 Speculation

That’s pretty awesome but in the end you’re still staring at a 2d screen in front of you. For VR to be convincing the viewport needs to physically move with your head - i.e. VR glasses.

This patent makes me think about something that I ask from the wii age.
While we are at it, what about a method to detect the head position with respect to the screen to simulate a 3d screen?
They tried it with 3ds and ended up in the 2ds due to technology not being there yet, but it has big potential if done right.
Well you cant 'simulate' a 3d screen, you still need the screen to be capable of displaying 3d. Which would be fine for a dedicated handheld, but if you're also talking TV's in docked mode then it's a much bigger issue on various fronts. Not practical.

Do we have any idea how does it look when DLSS upscales 720p to 1080p on a 8 inch screen?

Any handheld supports DLSS?

Kind of. Handhelds with eGPU support, like the RoG Ally, can technically run DLSS if paired with an RTX GPU. You'd need someone with that type of setup to test this at the moment.

Otherwise alternatively I guess if you had a laptop with a high resolution display (likely needing 4k) and RTX GPU you could try playing it at 1080p with no scaling so only part of the display is used (eg. a 16in 4k laptop would be 8in at 1080p).

Do we have any idea how does it look when DLSS upscales 720p to 1080p on a 8 inch screen?
I dont have a DLSS-capable GPU, but you could simulate this with almost any 1080p laptop or monitor display quite easily here if you do(TV's can also work, but most are 4k nowadays and distances get quite big here). Cuz it's not really the size of the screen that's important, it's the field of view, or how much the screen takes up in your vision. Its perceived size. Even an 8" screen can be cinema screen-sized if you hold it just a few inches from your face.

But to give some specific examples, an 8" screen from about 14" away roughly occupies the same field of view as(assuming all 16:9 here):

- a 14" screen from 25" away

- a 16" screen from 28" away

- a 24" screen from 42" away

- a 27" screen from 48" away

- a 32" screen from 56" away

Last edited:
Load a YouTube video up on your laptop and set it to 480p, now do the same thing but on your mobile phone.

Which one looks higher resolution?

There you go.

Any handheld supports DLSS?

Looks amazing on 14 inch laptop.

So on 8 inch screen, it is probably same as native, or maybe even better than native (due to dlss aa)?

Back