Switch 2 Speculation

Best case is docked and only at certain things. The Switch 2 bandwidth is less than a 4Pro but the RAM total size is bigger. The Switch 2 CPU should be faster than 4Pro's but the GPU will be about half the Teraflops. There is also AMD flops vs Nvidia flops to consider.

I'm expecting PS4+ graphics levels with Series S level framerates.

Best case is docked and only at certain things. The Switch 2 bandwidth is less than a 4Pro but the RAM total size is bigger. The Switch 2 CPU should be faster than 4Pro's but the GPU will be about half the Teraflops. There is also AMD flops vs Nvidia flops to consider.

I'm expecting PS4+ graphics levels with Series S level framerates.
There's dlss too

Just checkerboard tho.

DLSS is ridiculously much better IME. Even 720p upscale to 4k still looks kinda good enough on TV viewing distance.

DLSS looks better but it won't give much of a performance bump as performance between upscalers (assuming the same input resolution) is none existant.

So DLSS shouldn't give Switch 2 much of a performance advantage over PS4 Pro, more of an IQ one.

Last edited:
The images appear to be fake, but the specs are from another source, and they are the same as the shipping manifest leak. So at least those are still very probable.

The original poster explained that they reverse engineered the CAD files from data they were given along with the pictures of a Switch 2 Prototype from October 2023. That motherboard is revision X6, currently from shipping data, it's revision X8. This was indeed a real leak.

The original poster explained that they reverse engineered the CAD files from data they were given along with the pictures of a Switch 2 Prototype from October 2023. That motherboard is revision X6, currently from shipping data, it's revision X8. This was indeed a real leak.
If it's fake, it's a really good fake. The USB C on top for accessories is such a Nintendo thing 😅 (maybe a second screen...)

I'm interested how Nintendo would get mainstream Switch users to upgrade. Nintendo sometimes falls flat on it's face in this regard.

I'd be disappointed. I've never used it docked.

Also would be disappointed if they didn't use OLED.

By now, just about every device is OLED, even mid-range phones now.
I would not expect OLED at 400€/$. There was also that order for LCD screens by a console manufacturer, so it's almost confirmed.

Drastically improved image quality in docked mode would be enough for most I imagine.
I'm a tech enthusiast and even I would not be compelled enough by 'drastically improved image quality' to shell out $400 for Switch 2. I'd say you're vastly overestimating the average Switch user here, let alone most.

Not to mention that it's quite likely that the vast bulk of Switch 1's library will never get 'next gen' patches, and we'll perhaps even see many games that do get addressed will be re-releases that cost money.

Nintendo is gonna have to come up big with the games and keep it going. Especially at $400, we're well beyond impulse buy territory for the kind of more casual market that Nintendo appeals to.
Also would be disappointed if they didn't use OLED.

By now, just about every device is OLED, even mid-range phones now.
I rarely use my Switch in handheld mode, but I dont think you're being unreasonable here. Mobile OLED panels really do seem to have gotten to very affordable levels through economies of scale to where even a £250 not-Chinese phone like the Samsung A35 is OLED(and even 120hz!).

That said, it's likely gonna be LCD. I wont care too much and am honestly not so picky so long as the LCD is a half decent IPS like the Switch 1's, but no doubt they could have gone OLED without any extreme cost/margin damage.

This is an interesting Nintendo patent, even though it's devoid of real info on what the device is for, or looks like. 24GHz mmWave sensor + wifi. It's be able to sense how far way from the device someone is. Could definately see that as part of Nintendo's next fitness proposition.

The serial number suggests its not something that plugs into the Switch 2 itself.

This is an interesting Nintendo patent, even though it's devoid of real info on what the device is for, or looks like. 24GHz mmWave sensor + wifi. It's be able to sense how far way from the device someone is. Could definately see that as part of Nintendo's next fitness proposition.

The serial number suggests its not something that plugs into the Switch 2 itself.

Okey, Switch2

Welcome Wii3!

This patent makes me think about something that I ask from the wii age.
While we are at it, what about a method to detect the head position with respect to the screen to simulate a 3d screen?
They tried it with 3ds and ended up in the 2ds due to technology not being there yet, but it has big potential if done right.

Back