Series X Refresh and Next Generation Xbox Hardware

One day, an Xbox hardware tech thread won't end up about Gamepass, game library and XB consoles not selling...
The problem is that any next ms's console is an undefined target. We don't know if it's just a refresh with no performance increases, a slight transparent increase lake for the one s, a pro model, a portable model, or just a new generation.
You can't discuss anything if you don't clarify what's ms's general strategy. To turn a thread you must at least force the topic to "what if ms made a pro model this year and nothing else?"
Yes, I'm back.

Which is what in the past people did with hardware discussions. Pick a target and describe your solution or expectations for that target. A thread discussing MS's strategy before deciding on what hardware to discuss is not a hardware and tech discussion, is it? ;) It's just a rehash of the industry discussions. If there's not enough info to talk about hardware ideas, this thread shouldn't exist. Or people with an idea can post their hardware ideas here and those who only have business theories can leave these others to talk about their hardware ideas.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back to hardware then. 😀

The reason I think MS should bring out the handheld and new console in 2026 is because that's when they'll be able to deliver S level performance in a handheld and a clear edge over the PS5 Pro with the X2.

I don't see why they can't deliver at least 2x raster and nice RT and ML upscalling in 2026 with the X2.

Which is what in the past people did with hardware discussions. Pick a target and describe your solution or expectations for that target. A thread discussing MS's strategy before deciding on what hardware to discuss is not a hardware and tech discussion, is it? ;) It's just a rehash of the industry discussions. If there's not enough info to talk about hardware ideas, this thread shouldn't exist. Or people with an idea can post their hardware ideas here and those who only have business theories can leave these others to talk about their hardware ideas.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I dont know how we're supposed to talk about hardware without talking about the market and strategy and all that.

If we're just theorizing potential future hardware, it almost doesn't matter whether we're talking Microsoft or Sony or whatever. They will all have the same options and limitations. There's no specs of features that I could theorize about a future Xbox that wouldn't also fit with some theoretical talk of a future Playstation system or Steam Deck or whatever. Discussing Xbox's position, timeline and market goals is critical to having any kind of useful discussion about what their hardware targets might be.

Literally the only advantage I can see MS having over a future Steam Deck in the portable space is people having access to their previous Xbox library, meaning the appeal would be limited to previous Xbox owners. For anybody else, why wouldn't they just get a Steam Deck instead? What else can Microsoft offer as an advantage? Simple brand name recognition among console users? Steam Deck is already a subsidized cost product much like consoles, so probably little room to undercut on price at a given spec. Cloud gaming? Well MS is already saying they want to make this work anywhere and I just dont see a lot of excitement for this in general.

I'm all for more consumer options and competition, but I struggle to see this being some success for them. Too late to the party.

Literally the only advantage I can see MS having over a future Steam Deck in the portable space is people having access to their previous Xbox library, meaning the appeal would be limited to previous Xbox owners. For anybody else, why wouldn't they just get a Steam Deck instead? What else can Microsoft offer as an advantage? Simple brand name recognition among console users? Steam Deck is already a subsidized cost product much like consoles, so probably little room to undercut on price at a given spec. Cloud gaming? Well MS is already saying they want to make this work anywhere and I just dont see a lot of excitement for this in general.

I'm all for more consumer options and competition, but I struggle to see this being some success for them. Too late to the party.
Are they too late to the party? They wouldn't need to sell that many units to be deemed a success if we actually deem the Steam Deck a success. What will they need to sell like 7 million units total to match Steam Deck sales?

If they can get a decent APU for a decent price and it can play the Series S version of games then it kind of makes sense to me. Hell it could even be more powerful, just need to worry about memory and bandwidth.

Whenever MS have a software quality problem, they release new hardware and it never works. The next gen of Xbox will perhaps be the worst selling Xbox in history regardless of the specs. Consumers have told us they don't really care too much about specs but instead, the experiences they can have with that device. Sure enough, the Xbox 360 is looking rather like an anomaly at this point. We have 4 point's of reference from microsoft and 3 of them have been middling to disappointing with only the 360 being good. I think Sony has learned from Nintendo and they'll just run their own race. It makes no sense to follow the so called "loser" of the console race.
the thing is that the traditional console model is having a hard time. Even the most successful console nowadays isn't traditional by any means, but some king of hybrid handheld with desktop capabilities. Rampant numbers of mobile games, people are now more tech savvy will likely get a PC following the most popular streamers and instagramers and whatever, The console industry is doing ok but it is stagnated, there is a ceiling and the increased budgets are making exclusives difficult to pull off.

Also exclusive games used to drive console sales. Back in the day I could get a PS2 just to play Gran Turismo, though it never happened, but the point is that the current GT has more competition and it isn't the revolutionary game with unique lighting, nor there is a Resident Evil 4 game like in the Gamecube days that transformed combat and many other details for which it was considered a masterpiece. The hype as generations go on is changing.

Are they too late to the party? They wouldn't need to sell that many units to be deemed a success if we actually deem the Steam Deck a success. What will they need to sell like 7 million units total to match Steam Deck sales?

If they can get a decent APU for a decent price and it can play the Series S version of games then it kind of makes sense to me. Hell it could even be more powerful, just need to worry about memory and bandwidth.
Yea, maybe. I just think if there's more 'fervor' for this sort of market, I'm not seeing what Microsoft can bring as an advantage over a Steam Deck alternative. Remember Valve will iterate on this too, and the next one will be a fair bit more powerful as well. Microsoft will not really have access to any special technology Valve wont. So being able to play Series S versions of games is something that a Steam Deck 2 could essentially offer as well without having to be locked into the Xbox ecosystem to do it.

It feels like something you could get away with if you had a broader ecosystem marketshare, but Xbox just doesn't. Microsoft typically spends a LOT of money on new hardware design and all, so I imagine they would need something like this to really be a fairly sizeable sales success to make sense. Their whole aim now is gonna be gaining NEW users, not just providing cool toys for existing Xbox owners. And alongside their 'Play Anywhere' sort of big picture strategy, it just feels like it's gotta stand out somehow and offer something an alternative doesn't. And I'm struggling to imagine what that will be.

the thing is that the traditional console model is having a hard time. Even the most successful console nowadays isn't traditional by any means, but some king of hybrid handheld with desktop capabilities. Rampant numbers of mobile games, people are now more tech savvy will likely get a PC following the most popular streamers and instagramers and whatever, The console industry is doing ok but it is stagnated, there is a ceiling and the increased budgets are making exclusives difficult to pull off.

Also exclusive games used to drive console sales. Back in the day I could get a PS2 just to play Gran Turismo, though it never happened, but the point is that the current GT has more competition and it isn't the revolutionary game with unique lighting, nor there is a Resident Evil 4 game like in the Gamecube days that transformed combat and many other details for which it was considered a masterpiece. The hype as generations go on is changing.
There is a chance, with XBOX becoming like the OG XBOX, or even a dead console, that the PS brand may shift back to it's PS2 glory.

The PS1 and PS2 weren't selling simply because of a handful of Sony produced exclusives.

It was the only console that had Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Devil May Cry, Tekken, Ace Combat, Ridge Racer, XenoSaga and hundreds of other exclusive games.

There is a chance, with XBOX becoming like the OG XBOX, or even a dead console, that the PS brand may shift back to it's PS2 glory.

The PS1 and PS2 weren't selling simply because of a handful of Sony produced exclusives.

It was the only console that had Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Devil May Cry, Tekken, Ace Combat, Ridge Racer, XenoSaga and hundreds of other exclusive games.

PS1 was also the only console you could get mod chipped for $20 and then buy games for $3.

That had a lot to do with how well PS1 sold and how popular it was.

PS1 was also the only console you could get mod chipped for $20 and then buy games for $3.

That had a lot to do with how well PS1 sold and how popular it was.
True that helped. My PS1 was also modded. But still it sold a lot of official software in the grand scheme of things, which kept third party devs happy and people associated the platform with all of these franchises you could not play anywhere else.

It is one of the reasons why everyone was hyped with PS3 too, expecting all these franchises to carry over exclusively. It is that time that it begun losing its fanbase, as it's many mistakes, made developers announce their once planned PS3 exclusive titles for XBOX, and gamers were expecting more to come on the 360. PS3 and onwards maintained a momentum with Sony's own impressive output since it lost its organic exclusive third party support.

Back to hardware then. 😀

The reason I think MS should bring out the handheld and new console in 2026 is because that's when they'll be able to deliver S level performance in a handheld and a clear edge over the PS5 Pro with the X2.

I don't see why they can't deliver at least 2x raster and nice RT and ML upscalling in 2026 with the X2.
Here we go again, repeating the same mistakes over and over. Power is nothing without mastery. This is the mistake they did with XSX: 12 tflops, ML exclusive hardware, RDNA2 exclusive hardware, static clocks even :runaway:.

PS5 showed Ratchet and Clank, Spider-man running at solid 60fps with RT reflections or Demon's souls with instant loadings and they owned the generation. XSX still has not shown anything looking better, loading faster than those Sony games.

Getting (buying) shiny hardware is easy. Getting mature tools / software is hard. This is where they should invest.

Of course, but this is a hardware thread.

You obviously conveniently forgot all the conversations where Iroboto and I agreed that AAA games were much more important for MS than new hardware.

Of course, but this is a hardware thread.

You obviously conveniently forgot all the conversations where Iroboto and I agreed that AAA games were much more important for MS than new hardware.
I am not even talking about games only. I am talking about GDK: tools. They famously did release X1X basically without tools ready back then (I wonder why...). Similar thing with XSS/XSX while Developers constantly praised PS5 and its tools: SDK.

AI upscaling (PSSR) and RT APIs will be in Sony PS5 Pro SDK, already mature, efficient and ready to be shipped by developers in their games (with comparisons pics, benchmarks, codes, tutorials and ways to do it differently etc, like with CBR APIs on their SDK). This time PSSR will be even easier to implement than CBR, you can count on it, because developers are already doing this with DLSS and FSR. Sony have already found ways to implement PSSR on all PS5 games without using the latest SDK. This is Cerny MO since the PS1 days. Hardware is nothing without software.

It may be having a hard time but not every console manufacturer is having a hard time. Only certain ones are. Nintendo for example is not having a hard time at all. In fact, they're doing quite well by focusing on profitability and staying off the cutting edge. They use experiences to drive sales by delivering games driven by gameplay rather than graphics and looking to innovate where possible. The companies that are struggling are the ones that trying to push the cutting edge technologies with bloated games. Look at games like Avatar, AW2, etc. Great technology, boring games with tired gameplay. Games now have extremely long development cycles not due to demand from fans but due to lack of direction, scope creep, trend chasing, and a variety of other factors. Cyberpunk was in development for like 8 years? 6 of it was wasted doing absolutely nothing of value. Then they had to clobber the game together in 2 years and released the broken bug-ridden mess that they did. That's 6 years of paying staff for absolutely nothing. Most people don't finish the games they buy yet, developers insist on releasing super long games that a vast majority will not finish.

All of this is to say that the current issues the game industry faces today are entirely self imposed. Those who are struggling are doing so because of their poor decision making. Thankfully we still have devs like Insomniac who can still churn out 3 games in 5 years. Meanwhile, we have teams like rocksteady spending 7 years to create nonsense that will lead to the teams losing jobs.
I'd argue that this is a result of exclusives innovating on the wrong thing. They've fallen into the technology trap. Gran Turismo at it's core with the exception of sport mode hasn't innovated at all since the ps2 days. The same can be send of Resident Evil. We're at 8 now? Final Fantasy, we're at 16 now? These IPs are tired and need to rest. Instead they're given a new lick of paint and presented as if they're something new. Obviously there's going to be competition when you keep release the same fundamental thing? The truth of the matter is that what made those games unique was the blend of technology and gameplay innovation to introduce something that was new and unique. The last time we saw that was in the ps360 days. It's been 2 generations now with very little innovation from Sony/Microsoft and in some ways(physics/interactivity) drastic regression.

Back