Another impossible port. Quake on GBA

Nice. I loved seeing these ports of 3D engines on GBA.

There were some other ARM ports back then. I toyed around with Quake for the Zaurus 5500 (based on Pocket Quake). But those PDAs had much more CPU power than GBA (still no FPU though). The lack of an FPU was a difficult thing to overcome with Quake. Doom (ported prboom) with even software Timidity wavetable midi also in use ran smoothly while Quake was a slideshow.

Last edited:
very surprising, even if Quake (the original, my favourite Quake game) had a software renderer that worked quite well. It wasn't uncommon for other games at the time. One of my favourite games to date, the original The Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit also had a software renderer and while it didn't look as nice as the hardware accelerated renderer, the performance seemed slightly superior to me, at least on my system back then.

The GBA is full of surprises, probably my favourite handheld to date. A SNES in handheld size with added vitamins.

Btw, the EWRAM in the GBA sounds fascinatingly cool when explained in the video.

Last edited:
Quake only had a software renderer, sometime later they released vQuake that supported the Rendition Verite and after that they released GLQuake

Back