Samsung Exynos 8890

On one hand it's nice to see low-power SoCs continuously raising the bar on GPU performance, even more for chinese IHVs like Mediatek and HiSilicon.

On the other hand, increasing GPU performance past Adreno 330's threshold seems like such a waste of die area and power envelope.
First, because none of these later SoCs can actually maintain their maximum performance for longer than a handful of minutes (or less), making it useless for anything but two or three runs of synthetic benchmarks. Second, because Android's 3D gaming market has pretty much stagnated for the last 2 or 3 years.

Meh...
OT, but the future iterations of Apple TV, will IMO push mobile graphics much further than anything over the last few years. A combination of A9+/ A10 etc class SoC, no battery worries, metal api and Apple consumers greater willingness to pay for apps should be a potent combo.

wow nearly 10 hours webgl performance, pity the USA users though, talk about getting screwed (though on the plus its prolly a lot cheaper in the states)

Just a reminder, the comparison for 820 vs 8890 took place in different locations (820 benchmark is done by Ars UK, and 8890 I assume is done by Ars US). For standard benchmark that measures performance, it probably wouldn't matter, but for power efficiency when the modem (and wifi to a certain extent) is involved, it can have a big difference.
At least from my experience, when my 3G/HSPA signal is poor, the battery drained a lot faster and the phone was noticeably hotter. 8890 might still be better in terms of efficiency, but I need to see it tested on the same location.

I'd like to know what the sustained rates of transfer were or how many total pages were loaded in the time allotted. If the Snapdragon were transferring more data over that period of time, I'd forgive it for using more energy. The GL efficiency of the Exynos is impressive; I'm interested in seeing how it does in other benches or actual 3D games.

Back