Secure Destruction Of CD's

Dio said:
Needed: 2 house bricks, or similar, one glove, one 2kg lump hammer, one large masonry chisel, one bucket.
Yikes. I think I'd want to include some safety goggles in that list!

I wonder, however, if someone who liked jigsaw puzzles and had a really large budget could still read it?

I found the shrapnel tended to fire sideways and/or bounce off the glove. Even then the glove was more useful for when the underside of your hand smacks into the top of the brick than for the shards of flying CD.

I'm sure that some data could be recovered. But the action of whacking
the thing with the chisel tends to strip most of the gold layer off CDRs and put shatter cracks across most of the CD.

It'll do.

Dio said:
I found the shrapnel tended to fire sideways and/or bounce off the glove. Even then the glove was more useful for when the underside of your hand smacks into the top of the brick than for the shards of flying CD.

I'm sure that some data could be recovered. But the action of whacking
the thing with the chisel tends to strip most of the gold layer off CDRs and put shatter cracks across most of the CD.

It'll do.

have you considered putting the TBD disks on a stand and firing a round or two at them from a (semi) automatic handgun weapon?

Aren't CD's the same polycarb they make bulletproof glass out of? :) I thought that stacking, putting on edge, and hitting them with a sledgehammer would do the job and it didn't.

I'm in the UK, where we have the common sense to think firearms are generally a bad idea.

darkblu said:
have you considered putting the TBD disks on a stand and firing a round or two at them from a (semi) automatic handgun weapon?

Have you seen that episode of "The Simpsons" where Homer gets a handgun and uses it for opening cans of beer, changing the TV channel, etc ?

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
darkblu said:

Have you seen that episode of "The Simpsons" where Homer gets a handgun and uses it for opening cans of beer, changing the TV channel, etc ?

nope, but you give me an idea ; )

Dio said:
I'm in the UK, where we have the common sense to think firearms are generally a bad idea.

and i thought only your bobbies thought so : )
anyway, a 7.62mm caliber long-barrel firearm, say ak47, would be very efficient in shattering CDs, i believe (such a firearm pierces the stub part of a train rail from 40m and more). just remember to swtich to automatic in your case and to hold it tight ; )

Dio said:
No, the population agree too.
Ditto from an Aussie.

One really secure idea that occured to me would be to put the CD in an angle grinder (instead of the cutting disk) and then try to cut through a piece of concrete or a floor tile! :)

The only catch would be that if the disk is only partly full it'd take a while to reach the data.

Simon F said:
Dio said:
No, the population agree too.
Ditto from an Aussie.

One really secure idea that occured to me would be to put the CD in an angle grinder (instead of the cutting disk) and then try to cut through a piece of concrete or a floor tile! :)

The only catch would be that if the disk is only partly full it'd take a while to reach the data.

i think the disk'd break in uncomfortably large pieces long before the outermost tacks of it get eaten out : )

ps: i see the (small) firearms idea did not find broad understanding, how about sumbission to artillery cannonade? :devilish:

Back