News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sad for the DLNA thing, I used it a bit on PS3 and found it pretty cool.

With the way my stuff is currently set up, it would be a really convenient feature to have. My PC is in the same room and right next to my PS3, so it doesn't really change much for me personally since I have all my media accessible anyway...

But still, for all other cases like when I visit my home or something else, it's still a convenient feature.

So the custom soundtrack to your game really has to be from Music Unlimited.. ehmm no..

And no Daft Punk - Tron Soundtrack instead of GT5's Jazzy Smooth Elevator music? crap..

PS3 DLNA was patched in too. But IF telemetry is telling really few use it anymore i would not be sure if its going to come.

External streaming services have basically killed it in last years

External hard drives not being supported is also very weird. You'd think it would be easier to let people use an external drive with USB3 than to let them upgrade the internal one. I think they got that backwards.

External hard drives not being supported is also very weird. You'd think it would be easier to let people use an external drive with USB3 than to let them upgrade the internal one. I think they got that backwards.

They don't want customers to use local storage (which implies actual ownership of media), they want them to rely on subscription and pay per play streaming services.

Cheers

Or they just haven't added that feature, it is just software. The XB1 is shipping with no external HD support and will never allow internal replacement by design.

The media issue are a serious negative IMO. It means a second box is needed for the living room entertainment. I can understand a focus on games, but this is going against the DNA of the PlayStation - the station for your entertainment. Too much the other way. Has PS4 no capability to connect to a NAS and stream content then? What about my Warhawk music that I got as a free download? Is that null and void on PS4? If I'm honest, I much personally use these features, but they have to see some use across the ownership and I'm struggling to understand their exclusion.

If you just want one box under the TV that plays great games and serves up media, it oddly seems the PC has a chance to break out big if someone would just develop a decent frontend! (Dunno what Windows 8 is like for a TV based machine)

All the news for PS4 had been pretty good up until this point. I suppose some mind-numbing management faux pas was inevitable. ;)

Edit: I suppose Sony have basically given up on the idea of one box to rule them all. I guess with smart TVs and PVRs and digiboxes and NAS boxes and everything, it's too complicated for a single device. So Sony are going to have a game box and then a media server box, and charge consumers the more for it, and the consumers will be happy with that. I guess DLNA from NAS/PC to tablet to wireless video is the real future.

Or they just haven't added that feature, it is just software. The XB1 is shipping with no external HD support and will never allow internal replacement by design.

The FAQ doesn't make it sound like it's coming later, but it would be smart if it did. The XB1 approach makes more sense to me, though it is a shame they don't have the feature at launch. Those 500GB HDDs are going to fill up quick.

Man they are really trying to lock these systems down. This is baddd news I rather spend the extra money on PC gaming than a streaming service. I am also not happy of not being able to have custom wallpapers.

The media issue are a serious negative IMO. It means a second box is needed for the living room entertainment. I can understand a focus on games, but this is going against the DNA of the PlayStation - the station for your entertainment. Too much the other way. Has PS4 no capability to connect to a NAS and stream content then? What about my Warhawk music that I got as a free download? Is that null and void on PS4? If I'm honest, I much personally use these features, but they have to see some use across the ownership and I'm struggling to understand their exclusion.

If you just want one box under the TV that plays great games and serves up media, it oddly seems the PC has a chance to break out big if someone would just develop a decent frontend! (Dunno what Windows 8 is like for a TV based machine)

All the news for PS4 had been pretty good up until this point. I suppose some mind-numbing management faux pas was inevitable. ;)

The Focus is on streaming on the Console that doesn't need the internet to be connected, they even have an activation disc you can request for enabling Blu-Ray and DVD playback..

The DNLA i can to a certain extend understand it does require a little extra, the lack of MP3 support for custom soundtracks is strange.

Now i await the XB1 FAQ

The Focus is on streaming on the Console that doesn't need the internet to be connected, they even have an activation disc you can request for enabling Blu-Ray and DVD playback..

The DNLA i can to a certain extend understand it does require a little extra, the lack of MP3 support for custom soundtracks is strange.

Now i await the XB1 FAQ

Well no MP3 support there either.. wtf

Man they are really trying to lock these systems down.
If you look at how much money both sony and MS lost last gen - a state which persisted for YEARS - you shouldn't be surprised. If they can't make a profit they'll have to get out of the business - and would that really benefit anyone?

If you look at how much money both sony and MS lost last gen - a state which persisted for YEARS - you shouldn't be surprised. If they can't make a profit they'll have to get out of the business - and would that really benefit anyone?
Well, it would benefit Nintendo :LOL:

Reducing reasons to buy a console may backfire. they can promote their services without making them exculsive. Indeed, that's probably necessary. "Play your CDs. Play your MP3's. Free trial of Music Unlimited for 3 months with every console." Don't give people a reason to avoid your product by withholding (easy) functionality - if your product or service isn't capable of outcompeting on a fair footing, it's no good as a product/service!

Don't give people a reason to avoid your product by withholding (easy) functionality - if your product or service isn't capable of outcompeting on a fair footing, it's no good as a product/service!

Not only easy functionality but also something that is supported by almost all their other products AND they are also part of the DLNA org itself:

http://www.dlna.org/dlna-for-industry/about-dlna/member-companies

I hope for a patch in 1.5+X or 2.X. This is good 'ol bad Sony ( memory card Sony, PSP disk Sony ... )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back