PowerVR Series 6 now official

With Series5 already ending at DX10.1 for the 545, that comes hardly as a surprise.
DX11 support means we'll be seeing Series 6 GPUs in Windows Devices, which means there are design wins for it somewhere. Plus, I think we can assume from those news that DX10 will be minimum for all Series 6.

I guess the amount of added transistors for DX10 compatibility become negligible when using 28nm or smaller, even for low-power SoCs.

What was this demo about? What all techniques are being employed?

DSCF1424_overlaydisplay.jpg

Well in rough order of likelihood in my opinion:

Renesas
LG(recent licence announcement was noticeably vague about which family members)
A console (take your pick between Sony and the much fabled sega re-entry)

Of course, its just 6 at this time, nothing that rules out more than one of the above being a licence at some point.

I assume you're counting Apple and Intel as 4 and 5? If so, there are plenty of 'boring' possibilities, but also more exciting ones I suppose (e.g. a console manufacturer).

No announcement for all 3 missing "lead partners" should have a reason. Yes obviously Intel and Apple fit that description for known reasons.

Well in rough order of likelihood in my opinion:

Renesas
LG(recent licence announcement was noticeably vague about which family members)

The Renesas announcement states a further Series5XT core and for LG --> SGX.

A console (take your pick between Sony and the much fabled sega re-entry).

While it definitely would be interesting I still can't get rid of the gut feeling that SONY might opt for an in house design (Lord help developers). As for the SEGA myth, I thought TEXAN has been banned...

Of course, its just 6 at this time, nothing that rules out more than one of the above being a licence at some point.

Obviously; remember also that they are 10 SoCs in design and/or shipping from Series5XT. Can you count them all yet?

The Renesas announcement states a further Series5XT core and for LG --> SGX.

Regarding Renesas indeed that statement does say 5XT, however perhaps they don't want to reveal their hand WRT other I/P licensed but not announced ?

The LG announcement I saw from IMG makes no mention of SGX, just "IP cores from PowerVR graphics family", which was more vague than the other announcements that happened around the same time.

Obviously; remember also that they are 10 SoCs in design and/or shipping from Series5XT. Can you count them all yet?

Ohhhh pop quiz !

Known
TI 4470,5530,5532
Renesas AP5ER
Sony's PS Vita chip
Apple A5

Highly likely
Renesas's next gen 28nm app pro + modem Soc

Likely
Intel should have a XT license. if so, then they could easily take up the other 3 with variations for handheld, IVI and CE.

Not sure when the "10 Socs" was first mentioned, and whether it would include recent announements (unlikely)

Renesas is usually an early adopter of PowerVR.

Sony doesn't have the inclination nor the team to design a new GPU themselves. They'll at least investigate what IMG could offer for a PS4 when considering the usual suspects. Home consoles are becoming such a niche anyway as the real action has gone mobile (which Sony seems to have realized just in time...)

I think Apple have a home console in the "works" its an Apple TV with Rogue, paired to an Apple A7 driven Ipad4, and iPhone/iPod touch family - oh hang on before i get my coat, this is kind of already happening in the iOS5 Airplay mirroring arena!

I think Apple have a home console in the "works" its an Apple TV with Rogue, paired to an Apple A7 driven Ipad4, and iPhone/iPod touch family - oh hang on before i get my coat, this is kind of already happening in the iOS5 Airplay mirroring arena!

Apple doesn't count since I severely doubt will see any direct announcement of any of their licenses. Take the top10 semis and pick the unlikeliest candidates. Could be wrong but it would be a very weird twist in the grander scheme of things.

Airplay as in rendering on the handheld and streaming to the TV/Display? The latency is too high today, but the upcoming (and very little talked about!) Wi-Fi Display standard will fix that (as much as it can be fixed). And compression quality should be decent-ish with 15-20Mbps H.264 High Profile on a PowerVR VXE. Tablets are moving from 20MHz single antenna to 40MHz MIMO Wi-Fi, so with 4x the wireless throughput (72->300Mbps unrealistic peak) you could easily do Blu-ray or better quality wireless streaming, which is pretty nice. And infinitely nicer in every damn than OnLive.

But seriously, using a battery powered device for 3D rendering on a wired device at that level of performance is a bit insane. Unless you mean using the iPhone/iPad as a controller with basic graphics ala Wii U's controller? That does make slightly more sense although the lack of haptic feedback might be a problem.

More to the point, the technical synergies for Apple TV and home consoles are perfect except for one big problem: the complete and utter lack of storage space. And if you don't want retail distribution, you're going to need a lot of it (Wi-Fi streaming textures from a Mac/PC is unthinkable). So you need a HDD which is going to significantly increase costs. On the plus side, it can also be useful on the TV side of things (no matter what Apple says).

You know what would really blow my mind in a good way? A $299 three-way between a home console, Apple TV, and Time Capsule. The only problem is that it means you need a wired cable from your internet socket to your living room unless you don't use it as a base station and have a separate Wi-Fi router. Still, I don't see how Apple could justify a price point above $199 otherwise, which is pretty tight with a HDD. Or maybe they don't give a shit and it'll be 64x64 2-bit textures for everybody, or maybe it just won't happen.

Airplay as in rendering on the handheld and streaming to the TV/Display? The latency is too high today, but the upcoming (and very little talked about!) Wi-Fi Display standard will fix that (as much as it can be fixed).

Is Intel's WiDi coming on Cedar Trail the same as the wi-fi Display standard you are referring to ?

Is Intel's WiDi coming on Cedar Trail the same as the wi-fi Display standard you are referring to ?
AFAIK, WiDi is Intel proprietary and Wi-Fi Display is an open standard, but the idea is the same. This is similar to Intel My WiFi being proprietary and first to market, and Wi-Fi Direct coming up as an industry standard afterwards.

Rumours early this week of A4/A5 SoCs in future time capsules, possibly one step too far!

I think the Real Racing HD2 for Ipad2 renders the game play on screen HDTV, with the iPad turning into a control screen, so you have a dual display game.

"With a new home console on the way, and a revolutionary new controller to accompany it, some would argue that the Nintendo Wii U “won” this year’s Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles. But it looks like local Melbourne based developer Firemint will trump the Nintendo experience with its Real Racing 2 HD for iPad making a spit screen appearance using iOS 5 and AirPlay."

http://www.itwire.com/your-it-news/entertainment/47765-ipad-2-airplay-and-firemint-take-on-wii-u

That's supported in iOS5 via Apple TV.
Yeah, I was under the impression the latency was too high to be useful, but looking at videos around I can tell that it's actually pretty low, so that's cool. I guess this is yet another proprietary standard then? Hopefully they'll support Wi-Fi Display later as well. I wonder what the bitrate is...

Well it's 4x growth in the next 5 years which is achievable given the licensing / SoC pipeline combined with their TAM projections.

Back