Shatter!

Grall

Invisible Member
Legend
Just downloaded this and ran a game; what fabulous fun!

For those who don't know, Shatter is an Arkanoid clone done with stylized old-school-inspired graphics layered over a 3D graphics background alongside a groovy synthesizer musical score.

It's not just an Arkanoid ripoff - although it IS an Arkanoid ripoff at heart of course... It also takes the original concept and runs with it. You can launch your own extra balls into the playfield (and lose them, like I tend to do haha), the playfield shifts from horizontal orientation to vertical and then back again, the previously immovable blocks you have to destroy break free of their bounds and start to drift, and so on...

Then there's the "suck" and the "blow" features also... :) By sucking you effortlessly vacuum up small fragments released by destroying blocks. These fragments build your power meter which enables you to use the shield and your missiles. Suck also affects balls in play, as well as drifting blocks, powerups and so on. Conversely, blowing will push things away.

The shield is presumably to be used so that impacts with drifting objects don't knock your bat off the screen and lose you a life - however, I never remembered to use this feature. I was too busy trying to keep track of what was going on! :D I suppose it gets easier with practice.

I just adore the visuals and music in this game. I've wanted some decent old-school gfx spiffed up with modern high-tech for ages now, and to my delight there's quite a bunch of such games on the way. Shatter's one of the first, then there's Pixeljunk: Shooter and more further into the future. There's no fake rasterlines in Shatter though, I'd loved to have some but alas; you can't have all.

Unfortunately there's no awesome attract sequence in this game... Just a mostly static title screen with a couple balls flying around and a simple spinning starfield in the background. Super Stardust is the unbeaten PSN champion here.

Difficulty seems well tuned from my quick playthrough. It's not frustratingly difficult to handle the bat using the analog stick. In fact it works quite well, something I was rather sure would NOT be the case after reading about this game a while ago. Then again, the bat is fairly large too, and the game is forgiving in the way it handles collisions. If you ram the ball sideways with the bat it'll bounce back out into the playfield instead of clip through the bat and be lost as tends to be the case in old Arkanoid.

Score: 5/5. Excellent value for money!

I'd love a good Arkanoid clone on XBL. I'm jealous. :cry:

I have very fond memories of playing it on the Atari ST a looong time ago.

I believe Shatter is on the way to XBL as well, so you may be in luck!

I had a near-arcade perfect conversion of Arkanoid on my Amiga, done by Discovery Software. That company's long long gone now, but will always be a fond memory for me because of The Faery Tale Adventure, which I played zealously in the late summer/autumn/winter of 1987, and even long past then. At the time I had a spring issue of an UK gaming magazine - not sure if it was Commodore User, Zzap! 64 or whatever, and it had a big preview feature of TFA, and I spent most of the summer drooling over those screenshots and the gorgeous graphics they portrayed before I was finally able to buy my own Amiga and play the game on it.

...Getting kinda off-topic here, hah. It's fond memories though. Damn, it was SUCH a long time ago now, and the world was such a different place... Kids today will never know what they missed.

Heh, sounds very good. DL'ed last night and will have to give it a go.

Of the previews and reviews I've read it seems to have had a good press too. Go Sidhe.

I already gave my impressions in the PSN thread, but I basically agree that it's a very nice game. I thought it was a bit too easy but I don't know yet what happens when you finish it. That's three more worlds to go for me and the current boss is ginving me a hard time - but I still have to learn to use the shield feature, which would make things easier, so I think I'll go work on that a bit. ;)

But yeah, it's pretty good (I wouldn't give it 5/5 but in terms of value for money certainly 4/5). It's not too impressive visually, but it's certainly good enough and as mentioned, the music is awesome. The circular levels are tricky but a great idea also, and the bosses are pretty cool too. I haven't felt annoyed or frustrated with them and that's pretty untypical I have to say. They found a pretty good use for physics in this game also. I think this game has a future in that the developer should be able to carry the concept further fairly easily if they want to.

Looks like I have the high-score on my friends list for now, by nearly 200.000.0000 :D ... Thank god I only had to try for that Master Batter trophy once. I don't think that if I had failed at the last or second last boss, I'd ever try again - it just takes too long! I think I was at it for nearly two hours or so, crazy. I did hurry though - then again, that means you could finish this game within that time fairly easily. ;)

Going through story mode again though does make it more fun to be / feel in control of all of your batting powers, which makes it enjoyable to play. You feel in control, and especially when you master the shield (I haven't but I'm getting there).

That 10.000.000 on the bonus level is going to be tough.

Don't have the game. I am working on PJ Monster Encore now.

My new 360 dude friend came in and asked to see it; says it's "the best implementation of Arkanoid blah blah". I don't track or entertain that kind of thing/claim. Can't remember what Arkanoid is even. Is the game similar to Bejewel, Tetris, tower defence, etc... stuff that my wife can play ?

You don't remember pong with bricks? :D It's basically the bastard child of Arkanoid and Geometry Wars. ;) I have no idea whether your wife would like this ... from the things you mention, I don't think so. It's a game about mastering the controls, overseeing a chaotic screen and good reaction times, as well as strategy. But you can't be strategic if you don't do the other things, so your wife probably won't like it - maybe she'll like the SquareEnix version of Tower Defense that was also released this week (at least in Europe, maybe you had it for a while).

Pong with bricks sounds familiar.

She plays Everyday Shooter after watching me.

I'll take a look at the Square Enix game and Shatter. Don't want to overwhelm her. Thanks for posting the impressions. I am so far behind in PSN these days.

Arkanoid is a more complex Breakout -- maybe you know that name? Shattter is really good, but the boss of level 7 kicked my butt too many times, I've put it on hiatus.

Arkanoid is a more complex Breakout -- maybe you know that name? Shattter is really good, but the boss of level 7 kicked my butt too many times, I've put it on hiatus.

Which one is that? The one powered by the four battery thingies that you have to knock out? The shield really helps you there - you won't need it much, but once you do it saves you a life. It's doable without, but annoying. I think it's a tricky one too, but it didn't take me too long to get past. I had more trouble with the Queen.

Very quality game. Bought this saturday and 4 hours later after second try I beat the game. :) And I had a blast! 10min Boss-trophy is still missing and two ???-trophies.

Very quality game. Bought this saturday and 4 hours later after second try I beat the game. :) And I had a blast! 10min Boss-trophy is still missing and two ???-trophies.

Yeah, I decided to go trophy hunting as well - only the boss mode trophy left. The secret trophies were actually fun, though I looked them up. Took me long enough to get that bonus level trophy! But eventually I developed both the insight and skill required for that task. The Boss mode trophy seems tough, though probably doable! (well obvioulsy, looking at the high scores - I mean doable by me ;) )

Back