HELP ME OUT: answer this interview!

This sounds like it's for an Econ or Sociology degree.
Questions 8-11 should be combined into only two questions, such as, "If others speak positively/negatively about a game does it affect your purchase?"
Lastly, doesn't B3D have a polling option, you should use it (unless there is something that I am unaware of).

BDBACCDBBBB

Marketing, so yup, Econ faculty. I didn't bother checking out the polling options, if all goes to plan I intend on using these questions on multiple forums, so I'll go with this easier-to-reuse way.

As for your comment on questions 8-11:
Literature suggests that negative word-of-mouth is stronger than positive word-of-mouth. With these seperate questions, I hope to confirm the theory. Haven't looked at the results yet, but hopefully you guys are more negative after negative word-of-mouth than you are positive after positive word-of-mouth.

Going great so far guys, thanks a lot! :)

1. How many videogames do you buy on an annual basis?
(C) 6 to 12, one every two months to one every month

2. On how many of the following platforms do you game?
Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Wii, Windows
(C) 2

3. On a weekly basis, how much time do you spend on gaming?
(A) 0 to 3 hours, gaming once every two days
I'd like to expand this by saying it changes depending on what I'm playing. As an example, I'll often go a couple of weeks without playing something, but over the last few days, I've clocked in (according to the game) around eighteen hours of playtime into MGS4.

4. On a weekly basis, how much time do you spend discussing and / or reading about videogames?
(C) 5 to 7 hours, on a daily basis

5. Do you read videogame reviews?
(A) Yes, online

6. Imagine, a big game you're interested in is released. Do you read reviews to help you decide whether or not to buy the game?
(B), Rarely
I always read the reviews, but it rarely affects my decision to purchase the game. More often than not, the decision is made well before the game is released to buy it on day one, and I only read the review as a matter of curiosity on others opinions.

7. Imagine, a relatively unknown game you're interested in is released. Do you read reviews to help you decide whether or not to buy the game?
(C), Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't
Depends on the game. There are some "niche" titles that I'll buy without hesitation, regardless of reviews, like anything from Team ICO.

8. If others speak positively of a videogame, would you be more inclined to be positive about the game?
I tend to form my own conclusions about a game, rarely influenced by others' opinions.

9. If others speak positively about a game, would you be more inclined to purchase the game yourself?
(A), No, never

10. If others speak negatively about a game, would you be more inclined to speak negatively about the game?
(A), No, never

11. If others speak negatively of a game, would you be more inclined to not purchase the game yourself?
(B), Rarely

Overall, when it comes to the opinion of others, I tend to listen only when I'm on the fence about a particular title, whether I'm not sure I'd want to buy it right up front. Here are three examples:

A) Assassin's Creed - Day one purchase, regardless of reviews. Ironically, this game received a fair amount of harsh criticisms from some people due to the repetitive nature of it's missions. But, for me, it lived up to my own internal hype machine, and I enjoyed the game immensely.

B) LOST: Via Domus - I'm a huge Lost fan, but the game just looked very "meh" from early videos and screenshots. This is a game where I waited to read reviews and user opinions before I shelled out full price. As a Lost fan, I knew I would eventually purchase it, but after reading the resounding negative reviews across the board, I decided to wait until it went on sale or had a price reduction. In the end, as a Lost fan, I'm glad I finally purchased it, but I'm also glad I didn't shell out sixty bucks for it.

C) Viva Piñata - I don't care how good people think it is, I'm just not interested. This goes for most sports titles (until I can find that "perfect" baseball game) and Need for Speed (see my other comments on the NFS thread.. hehe).

How do you know we are giving you correct answers? For example someone may like to think they are not effected by negative or positive word of mouth when they actually are. There are many things that can effect your decision to buy a game like hype, ads or forums that it becomes difficult to distinguish whether you yourself decided to buy it or because of outside influence.

How do you know we are giving you correct answers? For example someone may like to think they are not effected by negative or positive word of mouth when they actually are. There are many things that can effect your decision to buy a game like hype, ads or forums that it becomes difficult to distinguish whether you yourself decided to buy it or because of outside influence.

That's indeed one of the criticisms on my own results. Considering the scale of the assignment I've no decent solution for that, except that the influence of word-of-mouth is nowhere being presented as the only variable in the buying decision.

(B) 3 to 6, one every four months to one every two months

(B) 1

4. On a weekly basis, how much time do you spend discussing and / or reading about videogames?
(A) 0 to 3 hours, once every two days

(C) Yes, online and offline

6. Imagine, a big game you're interested in is released. Do you read reviews to help you decide whether or not to buy the game?

7. Imagine, a relatively unknown game you're interested in is released. Do you read reviews to help you decide whether or not to buy the game?

8. If others speak positively of a videogame, would you be more inclined to be positive about the game?

9. If others speak positively about a game, would you be more inclined to purchase the game yourself?

10. If others speak negatively about a game, would you be more inclined to speak negatively about the game?

11. If others speak negatively of a game, would you be more inclined to not purchase the game yourself?

1. C

2. E on the basis of gaming with friends, C on a personal basis

3. D

4. D

5. C

6. C

7. D

8. C

9. C

10. C

11. C

Hey guys, I need some help for my bachelor's thesis. I'm researching the effects of reviews and word-of-mouth on videogames' commercial success. Mind answering the questions below? It'd really help me out! (Obviously, any and all data is treated confidentially etc etc, I don't need any personal information. Feel free to elaborate on your answers though.)

(A) 0 to 3, zero to one every four months
(B) 3 to 6, one every four months to one every two months
(C) 6 to 12, one every two months to one every month
(D) 12+, more than one per month
C, though it depends if you mean "full priced, new games" in this category or not. I'll certainly pick up more than that, but it includes certain games that launch particularly cheap (1/3rd to 1/4th the normal price), have just dropped to low price or are on a particularly good sale, or are something I didn't mind waiting to pick up used. A good addendum would probably be "how much $$$ do you spend on games?", because number doesn't really tell the full story.

I pretty much just pick up new the ones I really want to support the developers on, though. Otherwise I rent or pick up titles I want way after the fact.

(A) 0
(B) 1
(C) 2
(D) 3
(E) 4
3. In order of preference, PC, PS3, Wii. (I would own a 360 if the PC wasn't my dominant platform.)

(B) 3 to 6 hours, gaming almost daily
(C) 6 to 10 hours, gaming regularly on a daily basis
(D) 10+ hours, excessive gaming
D, though it depends on the week. But if you play even one MMO, you pretty much kick yourself over that barrier right quick. You might want to make that a sub-category. ;)

(A) 0 to 3 hours, once every two days
(B) 3 to 5 hours, almost daily
(C) 5 to 7 hours, on a daily basis
(D) 7+ hours, daily
C, though subject to change depending on what games of interest are out, or how tired I've become of something. ;)

(A) Yes, online
(B) Yes, offline
(C) Yes, online and offline
(D) No
C.

(A), No, never
(B), Rarely
(D), Regularly
(E), Always
B. Reviews can help from time to time, but most often I've kept up enough with the big titles I'm interested in or like the track record of the developer enough to know I'll be picking up the game anyway. Reviews are just a bit more anticipation sweetener at that point, but occasionally might introduce something I didn't otherwise know that at least could affect my buying decision. At least the timing of it.

(A), No, never
(B), Rarely
(D), Regularly
(E), Always
C. I tend to depend more on friend opinion than reviews for these, but for games pretty much NO ONE knows anything about... there's not much else to provide any information.

(A), No, never
(B), Rarely
(D), Regularly
(E), Always
C. Depends on the "others", depends on the game, and... well... there are an awful lot of games I've picked up that we end up playing once or twice and then not playing again. Screws with the budget if you're too loose with that. Friends and anyone I game with regularly, of course, carry more weight in this regard.

(A), No, never
(B), Rarely
(D), Regularly
(E), Always
B. I'm usually more informed than the bulk of "others" anyway, so this doesn't often come up. It has been known to for one of those "Question 7" games, though, so I'll give it a look-see.

(A), No, never
(B), Rarely
(D), Regularly
(E), Always
B. Again, generic "others" don't tend to mean a lot, and I'm usually better informed. (And certainly I know my own tastes better.) Friends would affect this more, but I'll usually look up a bit from varied sources, and if the community consensus goes against a game and it has glaring, repeated flaws... I'm not unlikely to repeat them, though in more of a "ribbing" fashion.

This is the age of rentals, however, so it doesn't take much to familiarize yourself with anything you want to be personally knowledgeable about.

(A), No, never
(B), Rarely
(D), Regularly
(E), Always
B.

That's it! Thanks a lot! :)
D, none of the above.

:p

Back