The difference between 23°C and 23°F is about $883K according to Samsung Semi Austin

I think you'll find the metric system being widely used in any engineering in the US.

and, for the record, I prefer YYYY-MM-DD because you can sort on that and it ends up right.

yes thats correct, also in english (and some other languages) we screw this up WRT numbers from 11-19
You think that's bad? Try the Danes who mix in a lovely old Norse legacy of counting to twenty into the decimal system. You get stuff like 70 literally being said as "half forty". At least what you'd think was forty, but since base 10 wasn't screwed up enough for them, they made thirty == 60, 40 == eighty, and fifty == 100 in their spoken language. Well, the last one is only "half true" since a hundred is still a hundred, even though "half fifty" is 90.

You are both wrong :)

Just follow ISO 8601 YYYY-MM-DD in all written text as we do in Sweden, China, Japan and a few other civilized countries and be done with it ;)

MM-DD-YYYY in text should be considered a crime against humanity, or at least common sense. But then again, some people still measure their weight in 'stones'..

Not that I really care in what order the dates are writting, but isnt the year first a bit unlogical? Because most of the time when you ask/write a date it will likely be in the current year. I think day first is fine because in my case that is what I'm most likely to want to know. Or maybe its just because im used to that. Anyway, how dates are writting isnt very important I think because anyone will understand no matter what order you chose (unless you got a day that is 12 or lower because than it could be a month too) but that isnt the case with mph, kmph, feet, miles, meters, km, cm etc.

it's kinda like writing the number one-hundred-and-one like this: 110

Funny enough, that's how numbers are spoken in german, and I just never really learned to say it right because it just doesn't make any sense. Like the equivalent of "one-hundred-four-and-twenty".

You are both wrong :)

Just follow ISO 8601 YYYY-MM-DD in all written text as we do in Sweden, China, Japan and a few other civilized countries and be done with it ;)

MM-DD-YYYY in text should be considered a crime against humanity, or at least common sense. But then again, some people still measure their weight in 'stones'..

Yes, but you missed my point. DD-MM-YYYY is just as logical as YYYY-MM-DD since the pro-/regression is the same, but not MM-DD-YYYY or YYYY-DD-MM.

Regarding the ISO standard, so what I write isn't an ISO standard ... Litre isn't an SI unit and we use it all the time. :D I don't want to have to remember that I have to buy 0.001 cubic metre of milk before I get home.

Funny enough, that's how numbers are spoken in german, and I just never really learned to say it right because it just doesn't make any sense. Like the equivalent of "one-hundred-four-and-twenty".
Yes, the old way of pronouncing stuff like 45 in Norwegian was inverted like that.

My example was writing the numbers down, you can't write 54 if you mean 45. That would be insane!

same in dutch, me + my gf are often mixing up the order we write down the last 2 digits if the other person is saying a number.

101 is called hundred-and-one in German. Also I'd guess "one-hundred-four-and-twenty" was actually hundred-and-four-and-twenty (24 is four-and-twenty) but the first "and" is omitted (in 101 it's usually omitted when spoken too). :)

Not in the case of 101, though. It starts in the twenties, and IMO makes a lot of sense because it's consistent.

English:

SEVENteen
EIGHTeen
NINEteen
twentyONE
twentyTWO

In German it would be

SIEBzehn
ACHTzehn
NEUNzehn
EINundzwanzig
ZWEIundzwanzig

and so on. In English, you reverse the order for some reason.

It seems languages have the habit of switching conventions as they develop towards using higher numbers ... none of them seems to be consistent about it.

Not sure what company that delivered this, (DHL or FedEX) but not to long ago my father ordered this huge server system at work worth around $1 million.

Upon delivery day, what does the delivery guys do?

Do they A: Call the company their supposed to deliver to and ask where they should put it?
Or do they B: Simply leave the $1 million worth of equipment on the street outside next to the main office building?

If you guessed B you guessed right, they left the equpment on the street.

Thankfully, the server system is huge (4000 kg weight or so) so it didnt get stolen, but it could have easily been damaged or worse. Needless to say, those two delivery guys lost their jobs.

Last edited by a moderator:
The original party worm approves of this metric

I can think of worse. How about measuring density in slugs

14150Slurm.JPG

It seems languages have the habit of switching conventions as they develop towards using higher numbers ... none of them seems to be consistent about it.

It seems that for some reasons there are a limited "vigesimal" or "base-20" nature in some European languages. For example, English and Slavic languages have one word names for 11 ~ 19, French is base-20 from 60 ~ 99, etc.

Chinese languages, on the other hand, is completely regular and all decimal.

Didn't one of the lunar or mars landers have a problem with units causing it to crash? One team was working in feet and a team at another site was working in meters?

You think that's bad? Try the Danes who mix in a lovely old Norse legacy of counting to twenty into the decimal system. You get stuff like 70 literally being said as "half forty". At least what you'd think was forty, but since base 10 wasn't screwed up enough for them, they made thirty == 60, 40 == eighty, and fifty == 100 in their spoken language. Well, the last one is only "half true" since a hundred is still a hundred, even though "half fifty" is 90.

Base 10 isn't screwed up. It's easy. But that Danish way of counting is MESSED. Is that for real?

Base 10 isn't screwed up. It's easy. But that Danish way of counting is MESSED. Is that for real?
Yes, danish spoken enumeration is insane. Other Scandinavians can understand written danish fine, but spoken danish is much worse especially when they say things like "halv-fjers" and stuff.

Back