Unidentified smoking hardware

Dresden

Celebrating Mediocrity
Veteran
A few minutes ago as I was playing a game, my computer shutdown and I smelled the feint smell of something burning. I cracked open my case fearing the worst, my processor or video card having bought the farm, and seem to have identified the odor coming from my PSU. Strangely enough, though, the computer operates fine, obviously I'm online and typing, but does anyone have any idea what could have potentially happened? I'm guessing something in my PSU sparked, and probably needs replaced. The video card and processor are operating as usual, but some type of fan sounds a little louder than usual.

Any ideas?

Thanks-

Ink

Could've popped one of the primary capacitors in the PSU and now it's pushing uber-unregulated current into the rest of the PC. If you really think it came from there, it would be best to shut it off and replace the PSU before powering it on again.

Poorly regulated current + ripples + delicate circutry = instability, EMI, and potentially damage.

I'd like to second that evaluation; if the PSU fried, REPLACE IT IMMEDIATELY.

Not that I've ever zorched components using bad power supplies. No, of course not. I would never be that careless.

Thirded. If you think there may be a problem with the PSU stop and think about how much you love your PC before using it with it! :???:

Thread update:

I just installed a new PSU and everything went swimmingly. Thanks to all for the support, and thank God for the fact that my video card and processor remain intact. I hate PSU installs, truly painful experiences, literally. I cut myself at least four times on the bars inside my case. I got a pretty solid deal on a 650 watt PSU, 100 watts more than my previous PSU.

Thanks again!

Back