John Carmack interview + Blogs (Orcs & Elves DS, other)

Richard

Mord's imaginary friend
Veteran
I saw on Blues this JC interview where he discusses Orcs & Elves for the Nintendo DS among other stuff like the future of gaming, etc. It has plenty of technical details such as:

John Carmack said:
To the game code, the world is still just a tile map, but for rendering, each map was exported as a general-purpose 3D model, and the artists could then go through it and spend the polygons any way they liked, without the limits of line-of-constant-z software rasterization that we lived with on the mobile phones. You can't render all that many polygons on a DS frame, and you have to keep a healthy reserve to avoid ugly failure in dynamic situations, but the geometric freedom and vertex lighting/colorizing lets it look a heck of a lot better than any cell phone.

High level culling is still done by a front to back walk of a BSP based on the original tile geometry, with a one dimensional occlusion buffer being filled in as segments are processed. This is the thing that is most marginal right now, since if the "prettied up" 3D model diverges too far from the original tile geometry, you can get culling errors. I would do this differently, given a bit more time. An explicitly modeled 2D portal/occluder shell would be faster, more flexible, and slightly smaller in memory, but would require another new element in our production chain. Our next DS title will certainly use code from Orcs&Elves, but there will be significant changes.

Read the full thing here.

Also, you may want to check John's two blog entries on O&E for the DS. Part 1 is here and part 2 is found over there.

Great interviews/blog posts. It's really interesting to hear what he has to say about DS. And I found this little comment about future high-end stuff...

John Carmack said:
One of the things that is stressing me out right now is that significant decisions are being made about the next generation of consoles and compute accelerators based on large arrays of processing elements, and there is a lot of hand waving going on about how great new things will be done with it, but very little to back it up. I have my own "hand waving" direction that I have been talking about, but until I have the time to actually implement some proof of concept work, I can't speak with any kind of an authoritative voice.
http://ds.ign.com/articles/833/833894p2.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Having just finished the most excellent Etrian's Odyssey on DS, another turn-based square-grid RPG could be fun. I'm looking forward Orcs & Elves DS...

Back