Buying a new laptop

EDIT: Nevermind i found a 15" version with a 8600M GT.

Are you happy with it?

I just ordered a Dell Vostro 1500 C2D@2GHz w/8600M GT.

I'm expecting it to perform about as well as my desktop which has a x1900 GT and a C2D@2.4Ghz.

I hope that I'm not expecting too much...

I'm waiting for the Cloudbook, I'm hooked on the idea of an ultraportable now but I need something with more storage than the Asus little one.

On the subject of 15" laptops with decent integrated video, I've looking at the Dell M1530 (with a 256MB 8600M GT) and the entry-level MacBook Pro (128MB 8600M GT). Then again, I think I'm just going to wait for spring refreshes with Penryn and such before I buy--I'm still really wanting a 15" LED screen at 1680x1050, and nobody seems to have those.

I'm still really wanting a 15" LED screen at 1680x1050, and nobody seems to have those.

LED?

If you want a 1680x1050 LCD (wsxga+) look at the dell latitude D830 it has options for 1400x900, 1680x1050 and 1900x1200 screens at 15.4".

My personal choice at this time for a laptop would be a Dell XPS M1330. Small, great power in the form factor, 9 cell while a weird look actually helping feel of typing, etc. I really like it's looks as well. Soon I think I might go for it, we'll have to see the offering once late spring comes around.

Guy at work has one, nice little unit for sure.

And I think the 9-cell does help with typing as bit as it lifts the rear...if I remember his correctly.

Check out this odd Gateway I've discovered:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8651167&type=product&id=1195599780039

GF 8800M GTS + 1.67 GHz C2D + 3GB = $1250

I actually saw this and played Crysis on it while at a Best Buy. I was searching for a Bluetooth adapter (needed it ASAP) and caught this out of the corner of my eye and realized that it was a laptop I had read about Gateway releasing for gaming at a very low price. It was running Crysis with all settings on medium at the screens native 1440x900 resolution and doing a decent job at it. Certainly better than I expected for the price. The problem with it to me is it seemed a bit of a lower build quality. While at BB I also saw the Dell XPS M1330 and it's build quality and the way it felt were simply miles ahead of the Gateway. If I wanted a gaming laptop on a tight budget though it would certainly be my top choice, but I see laptops as business products in a sense. I want something that's very solid, focused on durability, usability, and performance with a nod to battery usage.

Yeah I have gone thru an eMachines M6805 (Arima built) machine that has cracked hinges and a flickering backlight. It seemed ok when I bought it in '04, but it fell apart within a year. It had an excellent load-out for the $$ back then though. Considering eMachines owns Gateway, I'd be wary of the thing's quality. But for that price you can't really argue with it.

On the other hand, my Dell Inspiron 9300 from '05 is still in perfect working condition. Nothing has fallen off, cracked, or broken at all.

I think I'd suggest a Sager for a high-end machine. Better prices than Dell and the quality seems right up there. You aren't getting an 8800M for $1300 from them though. Of course, you aren't getting an 8800M from Dell either right now.

Considering eMachines owns Gateway, I'd be wary of the thing's quality.
Gateway was bought by Acer for $710 million in August. I presume, primarily for easier access to NA retail (as with the recent Packard Bell deal for Europe) and to stem the tide of Lenovo's advances.

I got my vostro today.

Its larger than my D620 from work, which isn't too surprising, but did disappoint me a little.

I'm not sure I like the glossy screen, but I'll live with it.

I didn't even think about it before I ordered it, but it doesn't have the mousestick (which I prefer on laptops because my thumb always fiddles with the touchpad while I'm typing). And, well, that's not somethign that can be upgraded.

Ah, you're a bit like me then, Russ.

I ended up with a Thinkpad because I love Trackpoints - I hate lifting my finger up over and over.

But check your touch pad settings - some laptops have the ability to turn off the touch pad while typing.

Yeah, you'll probably have to have Dell's Touchpad software installed, but it does allow you to disable the touchpad if you have an external USB mouse attached.

Are you planning to put on a fresh OS installation? Performance on my Vostro 1700 seemed quite reasonable when I received it, however there were over 75 processes running with a bunch of trial software installed in it's default state, so I reinstalled Vista with only some selected Dell software (i.e. integrated webcam, touchpad, etc) and then tweaked things, cutting down the number of default processes substantially.

I don't know about your Vostro, but mine uses a Sigmatel audio DSP. :p Actually, I'm pretty happy with the sound quality and the speakers on the 1700 at least, are quite beefy compared to the previous 15.4 notebook I used.

I just set up my wife's Mac Air thing. Sweet design and faster than I expected. No gaming, etc. but she doesn't. Stuff an 8600GT into that form factor with dual boot linux xp and I'd pay a penny or two...

I just set up my wife's Mac Air thing. Sweet design and faster than I expected. No gaming, etc. but she doesn't. Stuff an 8600GT into that form factor with dual boot linux xp and I'd pay a penny or two...

What was the reason you bought one? At first I was pretty up to the Mac Air but then it dawned on me... it's not worth the sacrifices. While it's super thin what does that truly matter? It takes up the same amount of space as the other Macbooks (with similar screen sizes) and it's not significantly lighter either. It only has one USB port, no optical drive, and a amazingly slow hard drive. So where are the advantages? I just don't see any, at all. I mean literally, there are none other than thinness and that's completely useless because it's still not lighter nor take up less space.

I love the Macbook looks and the designs are nice besides the Air. They would be my second choice of laptop after the Dell XPS M1330.

Back