Folks Soul / Folklore / Monster Kingdom / Unknown Realms etc. trailer

I finally downloaded and played the demo the other day and loved it. This is probably my most anticipated game on the PS3 at the moment. I really like the art style and some areas, like the field of flowers pictured above are really impressive.

Damn, I had totally missed the demo on Japanese store. Downloaded (in a jiffy btw, gotta love Sony for that), played and absolutely loved it! The character design is totally off the hook!

This one shot way up on my "must get" list, even though I understood next to nothing with my limited Japanese skills :)

As per WYWY at neogaf,

http://www.jp.playstation.com/scej/title/folks/

It's been announced the game will feature a 'Dungeon Trial' mode which will let players create their own maps/levels and upload them to share with others. There'll also be a 'quest download' feature whereby you can pay for more quests/stories.

There's some pics of the 'dungeon trial' editor at the link, and also probably more details if anyone can translate.

Great news. I wonder will editor allow us just ordinary "dunger crawler" stuff, or will we be able to create little complex gameplay options: add NPC's, conversation trees, quests, triggers... ???

And here is the pic:
f1.jpg

Fantastic. The "Dungeon Trial" option is disabled in the demo. I assumed it would be some kind of endless dungeon, like the Bloody Mansion in DMC, but this looks quite a bit more interesting!

As per WYWY at neogaf,

http://www.jp.playstation.com/scej/title/folks/

It's been announced the game will feature a 'Dungeon Trial' mode which will let players create their own maps/levels and upload them to share with others. There'll also be a 'quest download' feature whereby you can pay for more quests/stories.

There's some pics of the 'dungeon trial' editor at the link, and also probably more details if anyone can translate.

It's really interesting to see Sony pushing user generated content thing on every front.

By the way, Famitsu gave 33/40 to FolksSoul, which probably means it is not going to move much PS3 units this month. I liked the Japanese TV ad though.

It seems like PlayStation 3 has its first gem.

Heh heh, They forgot about Resistance, MotorStorm, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Super Stardust, ... ^_^
CVG rated them well too (8 and above).

Last edited by a moderator:

I'd saythat this review is totally opposite from what I have been experencing.
First, the storyline is quite engaging.
You'd actually want to know the storyline (if you can read Japanese, of course)
This language problem will go away after the US/Europe version is published, so I won't bother about it.

Then, the sixaxis doesn't feel bad at all!
It isn't terribly repetative, poses various challenges, and has many modes of extracting the enemy's souls.
This review, saying that

Indeed, with Sony publishing the game itself, it's difficult not to see Folklore as little more than a contrived attempt to build a game mechanic around the controller, which is a shame because the Sixaxis dynamic is frequently annoying, occasionally imprecise, and utterly tedious when you get to some of the tougher folk, because they require even more shaking than usual.

I would say is quite a disservice to the game.
Usual enemies require a simple, small jerk.
Other stronger enemies require you to jerk/shake at the right time, balance, or even slam the enemy's soul to the ground.
And sometimes one creature will require you to do multiple of these to extract the soul.

Either this reviewer hates shaking, or doesn't like moving around. I'd say Wii would bring an even worse experience for this reviewer.

Back