New Laptop (help!)

London Geezer

Legend
Supporter
Hey guys,

thread title says it all really...

Looking for a laptop with a nice Core2Duo (or a better processor if there is one?), 2GB Ram and a hefty HDD. Just so it's safe for a few years, know what i mean?

I was looking at the VAIO's and they seem nice enough (especially the 13" SX series), and i LOVE the X-black screens, but maybe someone here can direct me to a better deal? The Sony's are always a bit overpriced...

Nothing bigger than 15" please!!

And thank you, the biggest helper will get a prezzie.

I would suggest not going with a Sony.

If you want similar styling you could probably find an Asus with such looks.

I would suggest not going with a Sony.

If you want similar styling you could probably find an Asus with such looks.

Why not, apart obvious price reasons?

I was looking at Acer sets, how are they? They seem to be pretty solid, specs-wise, and cheaper too...

Why not, apart obvious price reasons?

I was looking at Acer sets, how are they? They seem to be pretty solid, specs-wise, and cheaper too...

Because I've never once heard a good thing about a Sony computer. Not once, which is pretty amazing.

Acer, is hit and miss and I would consider on the lower level of OEMs as well.

I'm pretty happy with Toshiba, but the warranty is only 1 year... You also can't customize. I'd go with a dell if you can get those coupons... Their customer service is quite excellent.

HP.
Got mine a while back and love the complete absence of bloatware.
Don't get the home ones...go for their business laptops.

Ah... righto... dell...infamous for bloatware. Spent a good hour and a half trying to get rid of the crap (and make sure it wasn't necessary).

Well, I tried the other way but there was just sooo much crap! When I found the CD labelled "all the drivers needed for your new Dell laptop" I just sort of said "screw it!" and went ahead with the re-install.

The disk really did have all the drivers I needed to re-install on it, I was pleasantly surprised.

Ah... ok. Did you just use a regular winXP disc and use the key given for the laptop? :)

1 important question!! Do you need a discrete graphic? The reason is that most of the laptops sizing with LCD about and less than 13" are all using integrated graphic!! And that sony is one of a few that let you switch on discrete or integrated graphic. If it was me I would go for discrete graphic to the integrated one ;)

For 15" size, HP would be alrigh (mine is NW8440, but a bit to high price) and the model you may look for would be NC8430. Sony is always a laptop for watiching than buying, if you wish for a good support.... it's sometime a nightmare... their driver on the website is not that very easy to find too. Toshiba is good for the quality but you need to becareful since sometime you are not allowed to replace the 3rd party oem part (like DVD) to toshiba laptop (They mark some hardward id on their bios to use only Toshiba part). Dell and HP have a good support and provide you an on-line user manual to allow you to dissect your laptop for upgrade to :D

HP nc6400 has C2D + X1300 in a 14" monitor...just sayin'

I got the 8430 which is x1600 with 15.4"

Thanks everyone!

I'm not "against" anyone really. One thing though, the screen is the main issue. I will buy the laptop with the best screen, regardless of many other things. I just have very "sensitive" eyes in that a crap screen will just make me unhappy. It really is that bad. And i HATE average LCD screens for all the reasons we hear around (blacks, contrast etc).
Like, i will be the first one to buy laptops with those new OLED screens we just heard about from CES, the ones with 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio ;)

So, the laptop with the best screen gets my money. THEN the better deal (specs/ratio) comes into play.

That's why I was looking at that 13" Vaio. It would be perfect for my needs, the screen is fabulous (from what i saw and read around the net) and well, FWIW, i have heard good things about Vaio's just as much as anyone else. So, the fact that it's Sony and their customer service is crap, and they're Sony and know nothing about computers, would NOT stop me from buying that laptop...

Unless someone here has a better idea, considering my needs?

This looks very good on paper?
http://www.hpoutlet.co.uk/HP_Compaq_NX7400_Laptop_RH410ET_ABU/version-2.asp

And this one too, which i'd prefer due to the smaller screen
http://www.hpoutlet.co.uk/HP_Compaq_NC6400_Laptop_RM100ET_ABU/version-3.asp

But this one is still on top of my list
http://www.johnlewis.com/Computing/Computers/Computers/Laptops/398/230404094/Product.aspx

Now the question is, how much of a difference would i see between a T7200 and a T5600 processor? The Sony is just SO sexy and has amazing specs!

They do - but you have to opt for it by choosing the "+" display (WXGA+ vs. WXGA). Definitely worth the $50.

I've had a few Sony's (3) and the only thing bad I can say is that they have too much bloatware and phone-home "support" apps. I have one that is noticeably faster now that I put Ubuntu linux on it :)

Back