Series X Refresh and Next Generation Xbox Hardware

I don't want to get in to the whole price of building a PC vs console as there's a whole loads of things to factor in the value of a gaming PC (A library of 60,000+ games spanning 30+ years being a huge deal) as this thread isn't really the place for it.

But I will say I have saw two people on X (Twitter) over the last 2 days who have asked for support with building their first gaming PC after being disappointed with PS5 Pro's specs.

A prebuilt PC these days (in the UK at least) that costs just under £1k will get you over double the performance of PS5 and Series-X so performance/pound is actually better than the consoles.

Give it another 12 months and that same prebuilt could cost half that.

But back to Series-X....
Here in the EU, a pre-built PC with similar capabilities to Series X/PS5 costs double-three times as much as the console... And most stores operate with such pricing.

However, after that I won't continue the comparison here, I won't go off-topic anymore.

The same digital ecosystem lockdown that has hurt MS when trying to switch PS gamers to Xbox will help them preserve their own ecosystem. While not scientific, I don't know any Xbox gamers planning to jump to PS right now. They're just as invested in staying Xbox users as PS users are in staying PS users.
Thats because it is more likely for someone who hasn't bought a console yet to jump and you are asking those who bought an XBOX Series. Meanwhile a lot of that transition happened last gen and are already on PS4-PS5.

What's killing MS (at least in Europe) is their PC day one strategy. I fear that a mid-gen Xbox would not help much because Xbox players who want an upgrade just buy a more powerful PC.

Also their XSS strategy was definitely a mistake as they are doing quite worse than XB1 gen. Mattrick's strategy was still better than Spencer! Didn't they have exclusives on XB1 back then?

What's killing MS (at least in Europe) is their PC day one strategy. I fear that a mid-gen Xbox would not help much because Xbox players who want an upgrade just buy a more powerful PC.

Also their XSS strategy was definitely a mistake as they are doing quite worse than XB1 gen. Mattrick's strategy was still better than Spencer! Didn't they have exclusives on XB1 back then?
The damage was done since last gen and it's magnified by the fact that no game is a guaranteed exclusive anymore.

The fate of PS will be similar as Sony supports more and more the PC space. It is not going to kill PS instantly but it's appeal and userbase will be shrinking.

When at some point, which I expect it to happen, the PC ecosystem evolves and develops a much more cost effective user-friendly operating option, Sony will find themselves in a very very tough place.

Both consoles and PCs changed significantly from what they were in the 90's-,00's and it will continue to change.

Next-gen xss 2 is way more attractive than a refreshed seriesx.

If xss 2 has ZEN5 CPU + 12TF RDNA4 or RDNA5 GPU + better hardware upscaling, there is no need for series x. xss 2 just replaces series x.

Next-gen xss 2 is way more attractive than a refreshed seriesx.

If xss 2 has ZEN5 CPU + 12TF RDNA4 or RDNA5 GPU + better hardware upscaling, there is no need for series x. xss 2 just replaces series x.

I hope and prey that Microsoft have learned their lesson and never release another XSS level console again.

So are you saying that if only the $500 Xbox Series X had been released they would be ahead of where they are now?

I believe that the negativity around Series-S in terms of developer comments, it's terrible price to performance ratio and game performance hurt Microsoft, and that doing what Sony did with PS5 and releasing a version of Series-X with no BD-drive for less money would have been a better option and would have them in a better position than they are now.

I believe that the negativity around Series-S in terms of developer comments, it's terrible price to performance ratio and game performance hurt Microsoft, and that doing what Sony did with PS5 and releasing a version of Series-X with no BD-drive for less money would have been a better option and would have them in a better position than they are now.
I don't think so. The cheap Model S only helped sales. The reality is that the current results are to be found in the few unique and few exclusive games.

What would be interesting to know is the difference (in any) in terms of the additonal spend between Series S buyers vs. Series X buyers.

I know gamers will balk at this idea but the reality is not all customers are equal or worth the same. If say the majority of Series S buyers are more "value" oriented and that same mentality goes into games, services, and accessory spending then they might be capturing more customers in volume but potentially the less valuable ones (or even more that are net negative).

What would be interesting to know is the difference (in any) in terms of the additional spend between Series S buyers vs. Series X buyers.

I know gamers will balk at this idea but the reality is not all customers are equal or worth the same. If say the majority of Series S buyers are more "value" oriented and that same mentality goes into games, services, and accessory spending then they might be capturing more customers in volume but potentially the less valuable ones (or even more that are net negative).

What you say probably has some weight to it, to me Series-S is the console parents buy for their and buy the odd game now and again, maybe a basic Game Pass subscription.

Series-X is the console the 'grown-ups' bought a long with multiple games, controllers, Xbox Live, Game Pass....

So yes, I would probably agree with you.

A basic GP subscription for 5 years is revenue equivalent to an attach rate of 11 games. Lol

MS dreams of every S owner getting a basic GP sub.

The S is great value and there's no evidence that gamers are negative about it when it is a majority of Xbox Series sales. There's the proof. Who cares what B3D enthusiasts think of the S? Not the target demographic.

Likely all this Gen's games are going to work on the upcoming handheld because of the S. That has huge potential.

MS has the talent now to do whatever they want. They should stick to their plan:

2024: S $199, X slim $399
2026: M $399, X2 $599

30+ studios cranking out 6 AAA games per year.

Grow GP to 50+ million subs.

Last edited:

100% this!

I think Both the Forza and starField launches would have gone much better, in both sales and PR,
had MS done the XBox version first, and then in another 3-4 months, released a PC version with all the bells and whistles.

Keep the promise that all / 95% of Xbox console titles come to PC gamepass, but only promise within 6 months, not day and date.
Such a strategy lets the Console release shine, and it only gets compared to PS5 - if the game is even released on that platform.
and the much higher bar of a PC release, with more nit-picking, expectation and complexity can come a few months later.
But then PC release gets analyzed on it's own merits.

Think about the previous Forza motorsport release, first on Xbox console, months later, but it was a technical masterpiece on PC.
the PC version scales much higher.

MS have an opportunity to go for an early introduction of their next-gen console.
Similar to how they introduced the 360 a year ahead of the PS3, which was also their most successful console.
While Sony are busy, designing, building and promoting the PS5 pro, MS can focus on delivering a "true Next-gen experience" whatever the hell that means?!?
for the next generation of consoles.

I also think they have the option to do a split console approach again, but they should do a low-end device, that is actually more mid-range, and then an Ultra-premium device.

I'd love to see them pursue some really advanced packaging techniques to deliver an absolute monster of a console, even if it ends up being $$$.
I'm probably not the main market but I'd be happy to drop $1000 US, for a console that I knew was going to be top end competitive for 3-4 yours.
Chuck it all on a few stacks of HBM, and give it terabytes of BW, put in some really bespoke HW, and then let the PC side emulate it in SW/HW.

If they can convince the market that all cross platform games will always "Plays best on Xbox!"
Weather that's Xbox on PC or Xbox console vs same gen Sony console, - even if it's only for MS studio games, they should be onto a winning strategy.
Whenever MS have a software quality problem, they release new hardware and it never works. The next gen of Xbox will perhaps be the worst selling Xbox in history regardless of the specs. Consumers have told us they don't really care too much about specs but instead, the experiences they can have with that device. Sure enough, the Xbox 360 is looking rather like an anomaly at this point. We have 4 point's of reference from microsoft and 3 of them have been middling to disappointing with only the 360 being good. I think Sony has learned from Nintendo and they'll just run their own race. It makes no sense to follow the so called "loser" of the console race.

Whenever MS have a software quality problem, they release new hardware and it never works. The next gen of Xbox will perhaps be the worst selling Xbox in history regardless of the specs. Consumers have told us they don't really care too much about specs but instead, the experiences they can have with that device. Sure enough, the Xbox 360 is looking rather like an anomaly at this point. We have 4 point's of reference from microsoft and 3 of them have been middling to disappointing with only the 360 being good. I think Sony has learned from Nintendo and they'll just run their own race. It makes no sense to follow the so called "loser" of the console race.

Most* consumers don't care about specs anymore. I mean the PS5 Pro will sell a few million units, was getting coffee a year ago and listening to two baristas complain about Call of Duty not running at 120fps on the PS5, so there's some audience there.

But a different experience is definitely more interesting to the vast majority of consumers. I've seen people wiling to shell out for a mobile Series S just straight off the bat. That the Apple Vision Pro sold at all shows there's at least interest in something new, even if it's hesitant. How aware Microsoft is of this at all remains to be seen. Their recent hardware isn't anything encouraging, but hey there's always the possibility they can turn it around.

Back