Ever get totally pwned by your kid in deathmatch?

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
OMG, we had a family game of UT99 for the first time in a long time last night and my son SLAUGHTERED us all! :oops:

At first I could put it down to being rusty, haven't played against people in a while...but even when I 'got my rhythm back' he was still just toying with me.

My wife did about as good as me, mebbe a bit better. Too many damned times I'd turn a corner to see her with a flak cannon aimed at my face and she'd wait that second before firing just to let me realize it was here.

I'm feeling old and inadequate, I'm having a depressing couple of days. (Although I'll admit my depression at my decrepitness is somewhat offset by my pride at watching my son in action, he's the best damned 11 year old gamer I've ever seen!)

Lest they develop the vernacular. OMG pwned y00. U suk. wut!
I refuse to let him use talk like that. He once said "L-O-L" when he thought something was funny and I gave him the lecture about the difference between keyboard talk and real talk.

If he can't keep the two separate, he doesn't get to play the games so many people seem to think he shouldn't be. Same thing with cursing. Yeah he knows a whole bunch of swear words, but he also knows that if he uses them he again won't get to play those types of games anymore.

For starters I wouldn't be letting my 11 year old play UT or any FPS.

To be fair, there are plenty of T rated FPS games...

As for violent games and kids... I think it partially depends on the kid. Myself, I have had psychotic tendencies all my life, including minor violent hallucinations. These happened when I was playing Super Mario Bros. 3 or DOOM. The violence in the games did not effect me in the least as it was kiddie stuff compared to what was already in my brain.

I'm sure that there were/are other kids out there that aren't effected by it either for whatever reason.

I would hesitate to give an eight year old a gory game from 2013, though... It'd be way too close to reality for my tastes.

Hey, I don't let him play ANY games. I still refuse to let him play Vampire: Bloodlines even though I think it's a fantastic game....but it ain't for kids.

Too many adult themes, and way too scary for him.

omg those graphics looks truly painful.

Btw on the topic of violent games and kids, my parents didn't let me play any violent games at all. When I was 13 I just ended up telling my mom she couldn't stop me anymore and that was that. I'm still very divided on whether or not that limitation was beneficial in the end though. I'm really not sure what approach I would take with my own kids.

Yeah. Caveboy sr slaps me around hard when play DM in UT2k4. If I crank up the bots hard enough so that its challenging for him, I don't get to much other than spawn, head for a weapon, die, spawn, etc.

He spends all his game time on WoW now, so I just make fun of him for that. Bwahahahah!

Nope, no cheating in multiplayer EVER. It's a family rule.

WTG dad!

Cheaters are losers. Pisses me off to see so many of them in my favorite game (FEAR). Hopefully they build some sort of cheat detection into the software for Project Origin instead of relying on that broken POS punkbuster (quite literally broken for FEAR).

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem cheating in single-player games like a bad dog...but when you're playing online against other people I just find the idea of cheating reprehensible!

It destroys the whole point of it!

Back