The new PS3 sales pitch: Better gaming, better technology, better value

If the drive is 2x CLV with varying motor speed, than that means the minimum data transfer rate on the inside track is 2x. If you then don't cap the rotation speed in CAV, this is still going to be 2x on the inside track and faster on the outside track. At least, that's the logic of it. If you can manage 2x with say 5000 RPM on the inside track in CLV, why would you slow that down to a slow rate when you go to CAV?

Titanio said:
Sorry, I see that now, but that says it can be either - 9MB/s constant, or a varying rate to improve seeks.

Then again, that quote refers to the "Professional Disc for DATA" range from Sony, which I think is based on Blu-ray, but it doesn't seem clear to me that the exact same thing will apply for regular Blu-ray drives. That comment also refers to a max CLV rate of 11MB/s, not 9, so I'm not sure if it's all the same?

I'm not sure either, earlier he states he's explained this oh-so-many times, so maybe he can provide a source.

Shifty - "If you can manage 2x with say 5000 RPM on the inside track in CLV, why would you slow that down to a slow rate when you go to CAV?"

CLV increases the RPM's on the inner portions of the disc to sustain the maximum read speed(72mbps). With CAV, it maintains a constant RPM to improve seek times, which causes lower transfer speeds on the inside tracks. So to answer your question, the reason you'd lower the RPM on the inside tracks is to improve seek times.

Last edited by a moderator:
scooby_dooby said:
LB's quote. And I'm assuming 72mbps is the peak for a 2xBR drive, is it not?

105mbps is the peak for a 2xBR-ROM. ROM drivers are faster.

scooby_dooby said:
Seems to me you're just doubling 54mbps which is the 1.5x minimum required for BR movie playback.

Sorry, you're correct. I've been reading piles of stuff on BluRay today and was getting confused. Thanks for setting me straight.

scooby_dooby said:
CLV increases the RPM's on the inner portions of the disc to sustain the maximum read speed(72mbps). With CAV, it maintains a constant RPM to improve seek times, which causes lower transfer speeds on the inside tracks. So to answer your question, the reason you'd lower the RPM on the inside tracks is to improve seek times.
Oh, okay. Right...:???:

I don't understand the limiting factor for drive speed then. Is it the optical pickup? Otherwise why not just spin the disc at the speed you use with CLV on the inside tracks and get higher transfers on the outside tracks?

These guys actually worked on the 360 version before they turned over to the PS3 version and give the 360 version a break. The Assassins game was announced first on the 360 last year. So I think they may be comparing the two machines here, would be kind of a 'duh' to compare BR with the PS2 and Xbox DVD speeds of the last generation.

Actually this is the second dev, working on 360 and PS3 simultaneously, that is mentioning the streaming capabilities of the BR drive when asked.
A while back I posted a quote of David Braben in another thread, the guy that is now working on The Outsider for both PS3/360 :

Perhaps one of the most significant elements of the PS3 is the Blu-Ray disc technology. I am a little nervous that with streamed data (ie where data is loaded constantly from disc), the Xbox 360 will still be quite restricted because of the DVD format disc.

I think the CAV technique could be a possible answer for better streaming. But normally I would think seektimes are more of a factor. From what I've heard these are still slightly worse than DVD seektimes (DVD is like 100-150 ms, and I heard 200-250ms for first BR drives, but maybe Sony has some neat technology in there).

On the other hand 12x DVD speed of the 360 is said to be only available for the outer 500MB of a DVD9. Going to the inside, transferspeeds gradually go down. That's not alot of gamedata for maximum speed. If you have a DVD crammed full of assets in a game like the next-gen GTA, and you have to constantly stream new textures, objects, music and sound from the DVD when you cruise around a huge map, you cannot rely on the 12x speed in game-design.

If lot's of stuff is taken from the inside of the DVD, they have to adjust their game-engine to be compatible with the lower minimal tranferspeeds, otherwise the game would become unplayable and laggy if you raced around at high speeds demanding lot's of data from the inside of the DVD, that cannot be supplied streaming at sufficient high rates.

It's the same as with the HDD in the 360 absent in the Core version : designers cannot rely on the thing being standard, and therefore a game cannot be designed around it making use of it in terms of caching, streaming and partial game-installs. Ofcourse they can make a design-decision to make use of it as long as if it is avalaible by a simple check, but even that would exclude several design-advantages, because they cannot exclude and forget about the Core version.

TrollFace said:
These guys actually worked on the 360 version before they turned over to the PS3 version and give the 360 version a break. The Assassins game was announced first on the 360 last year. So I think they may be comparing the two machines here, would be kind of a 'duh' to compare BR with the PS2 and Xbox DVD speeds of the last generation.
From what I can gather from other posts, I'm not sure there's a noticable difference between DVD 12x and BD 2x. What am I missing?

Stupid question here...

But if the read speed of a DVD slows down as the laser reads the inner layers of the disc, doesn't this problem also occur on the BR?

And if not.. Why not?

Is that part of the BR's superior technology? That not only does it hold more data, but it also provides equal read speeds for all layers?

Sis said:
From what I can gather from other posts, I'm not sure there's a noticable difference between DVD 12x and BD 2x. What am I missing?

Well you're not missing much really, just poiting out that there are now 2 devs saying something about BR streaming advantages.

BR2x stands roughly for 9MB/s tranferspeeds (72 Mbit/s), and those speeds seem to be constant all over the the disc, while 12x DVD stands for 15MB/s maximum speed (for about 500MB of the DVD9), but minimum speeds indeed are somewhere between 6x and 8x DVD (66 Mbit/s, 8.2 MB/s). A bit less, hardly any difference.

The difference between both formats these devs mention for streaming, may very well be the CAV read-technique that may be more suited for streaming in stead of CLV, or some other aspects yet to be unveiled for the PS3 drive. I'v heard nothing about seektimes yet...

RancidLunchmeat said:
Stupid question here...

But if the read speed of a DVD slows down as the laser reads the inner layers of the disc, doesn't this problem also occur on the BR?

And if not.. Why not?

Is that part of the BR's superior technology? That not only does it hold more data, but it also provides equal read speeds for all layers?
Yep. From what I understand, the drive spinrates slow down gradually when the laser needs to read more and more to the inside of the BR disc to maintain constant datastreams.

So the RPM-spinrates of the disc are variable, but the datatransfer rates are constant. No highs and lows, probably means more reliable constant datastreams, which probably leads to better streaming. But there are may be other aspects involved.

TrollFace said:
Well you're not missing much really, just poiting out that there are now 2 devs saying something about BR streaming advantages.

BR2x stands roughly for 9MB/s tranferspeeds (72 Mbit/s), and those speeds seem to be constant all over the the disc, while 12x DVD stands for 15MB/s maximum speed (for about 500MB of the DVD9), but minimum speeds indeed are somewhere between 6x and 8x DVD (66 Mbit/s, 8.2 MB/s). A bit less, hardly any difference.

The difference between both formats these devs mention for streaming, may very well be the CAV read-technique that may be more suited for streaming in stead of CLV, or some other aspects yet to be unveiled for the PS3 drive. I'v heard nothing about seektimes yet...

The ironic part about that is that with a hard drive in every system the need to stream a lot of data from the optical drive is pretty much eliminated.

Powderkeg said:
The ironic part about that is that with a hard drive in every system the need to stream a lot of data from the optical drive is pretty much eliminated.

That's what I was thinking too a while back. But it's not completely true for every type of game I think, streaming game-engines completely designed upon this sort of data-supply still need the big optical volumes. Unless you have 200GB HDD's or something in your consoles that can handle multiple full game installs, like a full 1 on 1 copy of the data on the HDD. A HDD is always nice for caching and partial game-installs with the most accessed/important gamedata.

25 or 50GB BR-data for a game is lots of data. Not saying all PS3 games will be that big. But the choice of a 20 or 60GB HDD is just too small to compare it to PC-like game installs. The PS3-HDD would be out of space within no time with next-gen games if you would say : we have a standard HDD in every console, let's not pay attention to the slower optical drive, and copy all gamedata on HDD. That's not realistic.

So a DVD or BR would still be very essential in a game like GTA or the JAK III engine. Ofcourse not every game is build upon streaming, some just fill up the memory with a certain map or gamelevel, and take a loading-break when a certain lineair map is completed. But with free GTA-like movement and huge maps, you would stumble upon these load-triggers spread over the maps, and that could seriously harm gameplay when you were constantly switching between two parts of a map.

TrollFace said:
Yep. From what I understand, the drive spinrates slow down gradually when the laser needs to read more and more to the inside of the BR disc to maintain constant datastreams.

Misunderstanding you here, perhaps you already explained in a previous post that I missed.. but if the drive spinrates slow down gradually when the laser needs to read more to the inside of the disc, isn't that the same thing that the DVD drive does? Thus the fact that a 15x DVD is only the maximum spinrate and it also drops accordingly?

So the RPM-spinrates of the disc are variable, but the datatransfer rates are constant. No highs and lows, probably means more reliable constant datastreams, which probably leads to better streaming. But there are may be other aspects involved.

First.. do you have any links to this? I think I see what you're proposing, and if that's true.. that's a huge benefit to BR, I'd just like to see some evidence.

Second.. I'm not really sure that I'm certain of what you are proposing. If the RPM spinrate is variable but the data transfer rates are constant, couldn't that also be expressed as handicapping the higher spinrates in order to maintain a constant data transfer rate?

If that is the case, then BR offers no benefit at all.. other than a constant data rate. Which might be nice to know and utilize, but I'd think far more game developers would rather have incredibly fast times at one end and slower times at the other (because.. we're talking essentially about things that can be segmented as 'load times'), rather than having a constant 'middle ground' delay for the entire process?

I might be totally and completely misunderstanding what you are saying.. but if I understand you correctly, what you are saying is that on a DVD games will load the first 5 chapters of the game quick fast and in a hurry, but the last 5 chapters in a game slowly and pathetically. The BR game will load all 10 chapters of the game at the same speed, which will be a median ground?

TrollFace said:
25 or 50GB BR-data for a game is lots of data. Not saying all PS3 games will be that big. But the choice of a 20 or 60GB HDD is just too small to compare it to PC-like game installs. The PS3-HDD would be out of space within no time with next-gen games if you would say : we have a standard HDD in every console, let's not pay attention to the slower optical drive, and copy all gamedata on HDD. That's not realistic.

I guess I'm missing a very fundamental point of what it is you are trying to get across, because unless you are saying that the BR will allow a constant stream of data that will prevent loading times, I don't understand the benefit.

Even PC games that are installed on the HDD have loading times. Those are what are annoying, when you switch from level to level or when you complete a level and get to witness a cutscene or whatever.

If the BR is going to remove those, so it's one continous experience.. that's a huge benefit, and might actually be worth the price.

If the BR isn't going to remove those, and is only going to even out the load times from the beginning of the game to the later stages of the game, then it really isn't a benefit at all. Games will appear quicker in the early stages on a DVD and slower on the later stages, while being the same speed continously on a BR.

That's not really an important benefit, IMO.

RancidLunchmeat said:
Misunderstanding you here, perhaps you already explained in a previous post that I missed.. but if the drive spinrates slow down gradually when the laser needs to read more to the inside of the disc, isn't that the same thing that the DVD drive does?
Not really. The spinrates of the DVD stay almost the same. So when the laser reads the layers and data at the outside of a DVD, the laser will pick up most of the data because of how the data is printed and structured on the disc, and because the outside of a DVD at speed x will provide more data than the inside of a disc at speed x.

First.. do you have any links to this? I think I see what you're proposing, and if that's true.. that's a huge benefit to BR, I'd just like to see some evidence.
You might want to google on 'CAV' and 'CLV'. I have this audio/video magazine here that explains some of it, but I cannot scan it. There is a small article on Gamespot talking about it too, but there should be more extensive stuff on the Net.
http://www.gamespot.com/pages/profile/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=23916169&user=skektek

Second.. I'm not really sure that I'm certain of what you are proposing. If the RPM spinrate is variable but the data transfer rates are constant, couldn't that also be expressed as handicapping the higher spinrates in order to maintain a constant data transfer rate?

If that is the case, then BR offers no benefit at all.. other than a constant data rate. Which might be nice to know and utilize, but I'd think far more game developers would rather have incredibly fast times at one end and slower times at the other (because.. we're talking essentially about things that can be segmented as 'load times'), rather than having a constant 'middle ground' delay for the entire process?
Well, CLV technique seems to be also available for the devs on PS3, so when you are looking for highs/lows they can use it whenever they need it. I don't know if the CAV technique handicaps max-BR speeds that greatly.

It makes sense of you look at it that way you are saying it, comparing to CLV, but I don't know if you can compare the two that easily. I'm not expert on this, Blu Ray has a slightly different design than traditional DVD/CD techniques in terms of lasers, reading and storing data.
I might be totally and completely misunderstanding what you are saying.. but if I understand you correctly, what you are saying is that on a DVD games will load the first 5 chapters of the game quick fast and in a hurry, but the last 5 chapters in a game slowly and pathetically. The BR game will load all 10 chapters of the game at the same speed, which will be a median ground?
Well, you are exagerating it a bit, not saying speeds become pathetic at 8MB/s, that's still very decent, but it surely is misleading to say that 12x 15MB/s DVD speed is available for the entire disc. The average is 10-12MB/s the max is 15MB/s, and the minimum is 8MB/s.

Also note that seperately loaded game-chapters/levels are not always stored chronicly on an optical disc, that could also be completely random. I would say heavily accessed gamedata is stored at the fastest outside layers of a DVD, and the less important data would preferably we stored more and more to the slower inside.

On the other hand, when you are streaming, I think as a designer you just want ithe data to stick close together no matter where on the optical disc. Because you don't want the laser constantly flying over the disc using lot's of seeking-time looking for textures and objects when you instantly need them to be streamed onscreen, so in that case I would say 'geographicly close' data of the gamemaps, should also be 'geographicly' close to eachother on the disc to avoid seeking.

RancidLunchmeat said:
I guess I'm missing a very fundamental point of what it is you are trying to get across, because unless you are saying that the BR will allow a constant stream of data that will prevent loading times, I don't understand the benefit.

Even PC games that are installed on the HDD have loading times. Those are what are annoying, when you switch from level to level or when you complete a level and get to witness a cutscene or whatever.

If the BR is going to remove those, so it's one continous experience.. that's a huge benefit, and might actually be worth the price.
That is actually what they are trying to achieve more and more is my guess, but that is not necessarily a feature BR will enable I think, but rather new gfx-engines and gamedesign-descisions would have to bring. Koijima was talking about mixing up cinematics more and more into gameplay without cutscenes and CGI, all done with the game-engine.

If you can use the gameengine for all the cutscenes, you don't have to switch between the actual game and a FMV. Look at the BIA3 trailer, where the soldier is shot and catched when falling down by the player with the game-engine. All done in one scene without hickups or pauses, and after that gameplay continues right away. That is kind of a semi-cutscene (very detailed though compared to gameplay-gfx) done in the game. But to me that has not really something to do with Blu-Ray (you could do that with DVD too I think), but more with clever seamless scripting, together with advanced use of the game-engine and animations.
If the BR isn't going to remove those, and is only going to even out the load times from the beginning of the game to the later stages of the game, then it really isn't a benefit at all. Games will appear quicker in the early stages on a DVD and slower on the later stages, while being the same speed continously on a BR.

That's not really an important benefit, IMO.
I think it boils down to a lot of different factors. You are talking mainly here about games that load in a gamelevel, and after a cutscene, the scenery mostly completely changes in most games, so they need to empty the memory and reload new maps/enemies/textures etc. That's a different kind of game compared to huge-mapped freedom games like GTA. Games like Far Cry or HL2 mostly use a cutscene to add atmosphere and story-telling, and then twist the story to enter a new map for diversity. Take Far Cry, when you go from a jungle map to an indoor level. Just as in HL2, one need extensive loading there. I don't know to what extent these types of games will benefit from streaming or BR. It's a different engine, they fill up memory completely with hi-qualty gfx (higher quality than in GTA), and after that they throw the map away and load a new one.

TrollFace said:
If you can use the gameengine for all the cutscenes, you don't have to switch between the actual game and a FMV. Look at the BIA3 trailer, where the soldier is shot and catched when falling down by the player with the game-engine. All done in one scene without hickups or pauses, and after that gameplay continues right away. That is kind of a semi-cutscene (very detailed though compared to gameplay-gfx) done in the game. But to me that has not really something to do with Blu-Ray (you could do that with DVD too I think), but more with clever seamless scripting, together with advanced use of the game-engine and animations.
That was clearly to be seen in the "Eight Days" game (demo?) they showed at E3.
The transitions from (prerendered?) cutscenes to gameplay were virtually seamless, so much that it makes it hard to believe it was not edited to make it look more exciting.
I'd think this was achieved because of the Blu-ray, the transitioning even from a prerendered cutscene can be made seamless (or "seamless" as obviously if prerendered cgi is used there has to be a "cut" from movie to gameplay, but this "cut" could be achieved without a pause or black screen, to represent a "cut" in a movie)

Thus far, even if the cutscenes are made in-engine, there usually is a pause before and after the cutscene, and very often a quite lengthy load time. At least I can't recall many games where the transition had been truly seamless, there's always at least a slight pause and a black screen from cutscene to gameplay that breaks the "cinematic experience".

Edit: In light of DVD vs. BD straming, does the Microsoft/GTA4 E3 announcement of "exclusive downloadable content" mean that GTA4 will be the first xbox360 game that requires a HDD?

rabidrabbit said:
That was clearly to be seen in the "Eight Days" game (demo?) they showed at E3.
The transitions from (prerendered?) cutscenes to gameplay were virtually seamless, so much that it makes it hard to believe it was not edited to make it look more exciting.
I'd think this was achieved because of the Blu-ray, the transitioning even from a prerendered cutscene can be made seamless (or "seamless" as obviously if prerendered cgi is used there has to be a "cut" from movie to gameplay, but this "cut" could be achieved without a pause or black screen, to represent a "cut" in a movie)

Thus far, even if the cutscenes are made in-engine, there usually is a pause before and after the cutscene, and very often a quite lengthy load time. At least I can't recall many games where the transition had been truly seamless, there's always at least a slight pause and a black screen from cutscene to gameplay that breaks the "cinematic experience".

Edit: In light of DVD vs. BD straming, does the Microsoft/GTA4 E3 announcement of "exclusive downloadable content" mean that GTA4 will be the first xbox360 game that requires a HDD?

Actually FMV has been used in that way for years already even on DVD, some PS2 games (Final Fantasy 10 and later and lots more) cut to FMV straight from in-game engine with no stops whatsoever, so it's not a Bluray thing. Another game that made use of that very well was Lord of the Rings from EA and the sequel.

Back