Gaming and gaming hardware trends

Yep. Gameplay mechanics and control input! Let's have one gen, or even half generation, of no compute/processing changes, but rather new innovative control devices which can enable new gameplay mechanics.. That's an area where gaming could advance drastically, and at the same time not break the bank for dev studios.

Not even limited to just that. Let's look at dramatically enhancing audio. Give the audio guys their time to shine. Let's look for new ways to improve game presentation. Meaning, innovation in dynamic camera systems, innovation in user interfaces, and so forth.

There's tons of potential improvements in so many other aspects of games which could really invigorate game design without the massive gen-on-gen cost increases.
Aren't we getting that with VR ? It's enabled completely new gameplay mechanics and input devices

Even with sound look at all the improvements hellbalde is getting.

@QPlayer You don't have to agree with it.. but don't come here and talk like that. There's no reason for it.
You misunderstood, it wasn't directed against you, it was just an opinion on the generational bullshit that someone somewhere invented at some point... Not even specifically for the exclusive topic of the topic.

You misunderstood, it wasn't directed against you, it was just an opinion on the generational bullshit that someone somewhere invented at some point... Not even specifically for the exclusive topic of the topic.
Nah, I didn't take it as directed at me specifically. I know you meant in general... but read the room. You've posted on this forum enough to know that it isn't a forum where you swear and use words like the words you did. You know what I mean? Like I said, there was no reason to come in and do that. Worse yet is that it was the only thing you commented on out of the entire thread.. and the terminology people use is completely irrelevant. All that matters is that we all know the demographics we're referring to when we use them.

Aren't we getting that with VR ? It's enabled completely new gameplay mechanics and input devices
That's outside the price range of the typical console owner. Also outside the floor-space for lots of folk! The question is more what the $500 box can provide for entertainment beyond just more of the same.

Too bad kinect died and Microsoft never went fully into vr.

On pc, kinect + vr = full body tracking. It's good enough to play feet saber (beat saber with your feet)

That's outside the price range of the typical console owner. Also outside the floor-space for lots of folk! The question is more what the $500 box can provide for entertainment beyond just more of the same.
Come now Shifty, we both know time makes fools of us all.

When 1080p tvs came out they were 10k and now no one wants them because 4k is $500 for a 80 inch tv but now there is 8k that is again 10k. But in 5 or 10 years 8k will be $500 bucks.

Or to put it another way video games were once seen as too expensive fo the typical person and had to be played in the arcade. Then consoles at home happened and slowly they took over. The beats of machines like the model 3 that costs thousands of dollars just fo the arcade boads have been replaced by similarly priced graphics cards

All these things we see at the high end of pricing will eventually drop as more are made.

Right now we see high innovation in the headsets , they are getting smaller , higher res panels , faster refesh , better color accuracy. For those who want a less robust but easier set up now the headsets do all the tracking. Motion sensing controllers were expensive add ons and now come in the box with the headset at prices lower than just the headset. Heck you don't even need controlers and can use hand tracking.

Innovation is happening extremely fast in the vr space right now. Prices will continue to fall to atch up

VR is outside the price range of most console gamers. The next wave gaming wanted isn't happening in the mainstream VR so long as people's price limit is $500. Even if the next 10 years the cost of VR drops to $100, the console boxes themselves are getting more expensive. If you are to add on top of the components for a console the headset and displays and optics, it's going to have to cost more than just a box on its own. Remiji's request for a new gen of all new experiences isn't going to happen in the next five years via the mainstreaming of VR in a home console. Sony's acknowledgedly good value proposition is still $1000 - they aren't going to make PS6 a VR headset!

I think what you get for your money is increasing, but base cost isn't particular. I can't see a clear trend towards a decent spec all-in-one headset at $300 or somesuch.

Prices are falling pretty slow these days. It is not like 2000-2010 anymore.

My rift was a head set only set up and if I wanted touch controllers it was another $200. I paid I think $800 for it. now you can get a quest for $400

Back