Steam

I use WSQE because I find it more comfortable, this has caused me problem on occasion when a game assumes I want to use WASD
ps: If anyone is having problems with a game not allowing to choose what keys you want to use I recommend keytweak, you need to reboot after remapping keys, just remember that when you have to type in your windows password ;).

Last edited:
I hate keyboard controls full stop. Having actions linked to Q and E buttons (or A and G) means taking your finger off movement to use an action. Controllers take one digit for movement, not four, leaving the rest to press buttons.

I guess you could use one finger on the direction keys, moving one to another, on KB and have the others resting on action buttons. That feels really weird though!

I guess it depends on whether the game has a use for more keys, and whether the faster input by having dedicated keys is beneficial. Hitbox-style controllers for fighting games are objectively superior to arcade sticks or controllers, but that works because you don't have more actions than fingers. For WASD-style directional keys it's a half-way step between that and a d-pad in that you've got fingers resting on 3 of the 4 directions, and you've still got 5 other fingers (pinky, thumb, and 3 mouse buttons) that can handle independent simultaneous actions. I'd imagine that there are things you simply couldn't do as well if you were to try and replace WASD with a d-pad handled by a single finger or thumb. I'm too lazy to try this, but it'd be interesting to dig out my old Thinkpad and see if that joystick nib thing could be remapped to a 4-way dpad input. Or one of those Belkin n52 keypad things that have a built in dpad or stick.

But with modern games dictated by console audiences and controllers there's also not a huge need for precision, speed, or quantity of inputs anyways. Most buttons end up getting triple or quadruple-bound with some kind of clumsy context-sensitive logic choosing what action the button does. Rather than manually jumping and crouching to maneuver over something you have a mantle animation sequence triggered by jumping near an entity that has a special attribute tagged to it, so you don't need to worry about having jump and crouch keys bound to independent fingers, and you don't have to worry about aiming or shooting while it happens because your POV is locked while the game controls your character. Rather than directly binding weapons to unique keys you instead have weapon wheels or simplified primary/alt schemes that allow weapon switching to be reduced to 1 button.

I hate keyboard controls full stop. Having actions linked to Q and E buttons (or A and G) means taking your finger off movement to use an action. Controllers take one digit for movement, not four, leaving the rest to press buttons.

I guess you could use one finger on the direction keys, moving one to another, on KB and have the others resting on action buttons. That feels really weird though!
kinda agree. Directional keys before WASD was invented worked well, 'cos they are a set of totally separated 4 keys. On driving games they worked like a charm, up accelerates, down brakes, left and right turns the vehicle. I never got used to WASD, mainly because I usually played strategy games back at the time, or games that didn't use WASD much.

On another note, do anyone knows how to search for a very specific kind of game? I mean, I want to play shoot em' ups, a la R-Type, Strikers 1945 and so on and so forth, but I want to perform a search on Steam for shmup games with local co-op.

Any help from a Steam expert -I am not-, would be appreciated.

On another note, do anyone knows how to search for a very specific kind of game?
I'm no expert either but when i'm after a certain genre I normally look at the tags on the store page for a game in that genre. So in this case I just went to the r-type store page and looked at it's tags, popular tags were arcade, shootem up. So I went to search and used those 2 tags, then I refined it more by adding side scroller. You could probably also add top down shooter if your after vertical ones aswell.

I'm no expert either but when i'm after a certain genre I normally look at the tags on the store page for a game in that genre. So in this case I just went to the r-type store page and looked at it's tags, popular tags were arcade, shootem up. So I went to search and used those 2 tags, then I refined it more by adding side scroller. You could probably also add top down shooter if your after vertical ones aswell.

thanks! That's been very helpful. I had found how to search for games by Genre and some other specifics, but I was missing the tags part. It was impossible for me to find the Shoot Em' Up tag so I had to choose Shooter, which is very generic, and narrowing the search was a pita.

I also wanted it to be local co-op (a truly underrated feature, and it's so important, for siblings to play together, family etc, it makes games a LOT more fun for them).

I prefer side scrolling shmups, but that's a not essential tag, still I went with it. I want shmup games with local co-op for when I want to play them with my 6 and 4 years old nephews, or let them play at their pace. Contrary to their arcade roots, these games aren't meant to fleece the player so you the Steam ports have many difficulty options. My search was based on yours and ended up with this;

For now, I ended up getting Deathsmiles and TouHou Makuka Sai Fantastic Danmaku Festival Part II (no Co-Op nor side-scroller but I liked it very much), both on sale:

thanks! That's been very helpful.
No problem, glad it helped. I've been doing a similar thing with 2 of my nephews, although I hadn't really given a thought about these having local coop so had just defaulted to local coop beatem ups (ninja turtles, streets of rage etc). I've got some of the darius games and crimson clover world ignition plus a bunch of other ones I could probably try them with and possibly save me having to buy any for while ;)

No problem, glad it helped. I've been doing a similar thing with 2 of my nephews, although I hadn't really given a thought about these having local coop so had just defaulted to local coop beatem ups (ninja turtles, streets of rage etc). I've got some of the darius games and crimson clover world ignition plus a bunch of other ones I could probably try them with and possibly save me having to buy any for while ;)
https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/pc-local-co-op-games.63164/

this thread might be helpful. When you have friends or family with you, there is nothing like local co-op, imho. Seeing my nephews talking when they play Rocket League, Paw Patrol Games and a Disney game on PC Gamepass, etc etc, is a sight to behold. They interact together and talk to one another all the time and imho that's more important than anything in a game at their age.

Back