XP SP2 to destroy harddrive if pirated CD key is in use

Schadenfroh

Newcomer
http://www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp/showstory.jsp?storyid=53153

This time around Microsoft may have found a much more destructive way to get rid off Illegal copies of WindowsXp than Service Pack1. Users installing SP1 on illegal copies would simply get a 'This is a pirated copy' error message. But now Microsoft has armed itself with a huge list of illegal CD keys ensuring that not only does the SP2 not install, but also destroys the computer hard drive by rendering it unusable.

hope its BS, not that im using a pirated cd key or anything.............

I know pirating is bad and all, that still doesn't give M$ the right to destroy other peoples property.

i dont see how they can render a harddrive unusable to begin with...unless the site that reported it exaggerated and actually meant it would format the hard drive or something to that extent

K.I.L.E.R said:
I know pirating is bad and all, that still doesn't give M$ the right to destroy other peoples property.

I beg to differ, I'm sure their EULA covers them from kidnapping your children, to crapping on your lawn. :cry:

It would be possible for M$ to even knock up a virus on your PC if a pirate copy is detected.

Hollywood/MPAA have tried to do something like that already. Along with things like auto-destructable CDs.

Last I remember it was still illegal to do that. I doubt MS lawyers would be real happy with such an item. Remember though the RIAA did try to get a law pass making it legal for them to take actions like this.

Ok, so MS is going to unleash a virus (cause that's what it would be) to "destroy" the HDD when using pirated CDs... RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIGHT.

Hmm ... I would think it would be within there right to have windows uninstall itself on the next reboot and destroy the boot sector on the primary (the MSDOS portion of it) making the computer unusable.

Destroying harddrives won't happen.

Anyone actually read the EULA? I wonder if there is anything in it. Those things are still legally binding in most countries.

Entz said:
Hmm ... I would think it would be within there right to have windows uninstall itself on the next reboot and destroy the boot sector on the primary (the MSDOS portion of it) making the computer unusable.

Anyone actually read the EULA? I wonder if there is anything in it. Those things are still legally binding in most countries.
And the funny thing is it can do that(M$ update)even with legal copys...... :oops: I hope they do it. Also all the "corp" copys...
. Would a OEM XP go for 45$ if there wasnt any pirates, or would it be more because ther isnt any insentive to lower if ya cant find a free copy?

Entz said:

Any intentional act to destroy or restrict access to property (intellectual or real) that microsoft didn't own would probably be met with lawsuits. They can of course make windows refuse to install, but deleting the MBR or destroying data would open them up too wide for a lawsuit. As soon as some company looses valuable information or a hospital looses medical data because Windows decided that there was a pirated copy installed there would be hell to pay.

Althornin:

Why exactly would "opensource freaks" care if windows pirates get busted? That's a rather stupid presumption given that "opensource freaks" would love to see microsoft force people to pay for it's software. The linux user base would skyrocket.

Nite_Hawk

Perhaps...

But it is also stated that Microsoft is not liable for any exenses harm/etc that comes from users using there software (which includes the MBR-DOS and the OS).

No one said aynthing about deleting the files though (since a boot disk could give you access to the drive).

If windows crashes, BSOD, or botches up the drive on its own you cannot sue. Why would this be any different?.

Besides, by installing an illegal copy of the software you are forfiting all of your rights as a user. The hospital example is perfect as it would mean that the admin of the site knowingly commited an illegal act, again forfiting the rights of the hospital.

I don't think its a legal battle you would win honestly. But thats just me.

Now whether or not is wrongfully detects a system as pirated is another problem. Perhaps it gives you a warning or something and a day to repent. Who knows.

If it lowered the cost of windows by a fair margine % I could morally accept destroying a few thousands pirates systems.Perhaps it would just be better to send everyone who has an illegal serial number $50,000 US fine (once they track them down).

Entz said:
Perhaps...

But it is also stated that Microsoft is not liable for any exenses harm/etc that comes from users using there software (which includes the MBR-DOS and the OS).

No one said aynthing about deleting the files though (since a boot disk could give you access to the drive).

If windows crashes, BSOD, or botches up the drive on its own you cannot sue. Why would this be any different?.

Besides, by installing an illegal copy of the software you are forfiting all of your rights as a user. The hospital example is perfect as it would mean that the admin of the site knowingly commited an illegal act, again forfiting the rights of the hospital..

I think the primary difference in this case is that microsoft would be intentionally deleting files or botching up the drive. Microsoft can claim it's not responsible for the unintential loss of information or hardware being paired with it's software. No matter what microsoft says in it's eula though, it's against the law for them to seek vengence on people for commiting copyright violations. Even if this wasn't against the law, they have no direct proof that a copyright violation has been commited. If I for instance purchase a license for windows, but use a key I've found off the internet (which I have actually done becuase I lost the key!) I am not commiting copyright violation, even though I no longer have the key that came with my license. I might be violating the EULA, but the legality of the EULA is pretty questionable.

Nite_Hawk

Heh, I'm sure Microsoft thinks they owns all the copyrights on the numbers that happen to work as the serial number :p

Back