X07 Event Canned

AzBat

Agent of the Bat
Legend
The guys at SquadXp had an interview if with Aaron Greenberg on their latest podcast and this is what he had to say.

Aaron Greenburg said:
There is not a real X07 this year but I think that we will figure out some way to talk about 2008 some time at a different event or a different type of program.

http://www.squadxp.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3636

Cancelling the show is not a real big surprise. They didn't do one in 2004. Looks like they're thinking the Leipzig Games Convetion(Aug 23-26) and Tokyo Game Show(Sep 20-23) are sufficient for any announcements they need to make with regards to price drops and/or the fall dashboard update.

Tommy McClain

Well they've got Leipzeig Games Convention, E for All and TGS to deal with on the expo front. They've got some big titles they need to start promoting soon (Halo, PGR4, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect) which is going to cost them. The recent $1 billion for warranty extension..... I think something this year had to give, especially since they want to remain profitable for this quarter.

Its a shame, but I hope that MS can find a suitable place to outline their 2008 vision, after all we got very little from E3 for what happens after 31/12/07

I ultimately think the reason it was canned is simply because there isn't enough content to effectively spread around all of those conferences.

It's kind of scary though, that Sony has had 3 conferences in what, 2 months? And they've revealed a LOT of stuff, and apparently have even more to show off at TGS.

Now if only Nintendo could do the same as MS and Sony, yenno, show of real games, not minigames.

I ultimately think the reason it was canned is simply because there isn't enough content to effectively spread around all of those conferences.

It's kind of scary though, that Sony has had 3 conferences in what, 2 months? And they've revealed a LOT of stuff, and apparently have even more to show off at TGS.

Now if only Nintendo could do the same as MS and Sony, yenno, show of real games, not minigames.
In my opinion, there are a few reasons for the show's definitive cancellation. Perhaps the biggest reason first and foremost is that the company is going through a very bad patch. Moore did abandon ship or got fired, lots of hard work and talent, plus the goods are (somewhat) thrown overboard to a certain extent because of the RoR issue, etc.

I consider it would be hypocritical to create a show under these circumstances. This is not the type of thing that goes overnight.

MS is doing a event over Xbox Live instead of holding the event for real physical form. This way they have untilmate control over what is presented. What is announced. And is also cost saving as well.

Link?

Tommy McClain

I won;t be able to give you a link. As it is a internal departmental RSS feed.

But I can quote:

Denis Dyack said:
""We made the decision not to show Too Human at the press conference some time ago. The reason for this decision was that we have another event planned in the future for Too Human that we thought would be more appropriate," Dyack explained to us. "If it were not for this event, we would have shown Too Human at this year's E3, as the game is coming along very well and we are excited for everyone to see it. As you probably know, we did show a new trailer and it was received very well. Not attending the show and setting appointments with the press was due to Silicon Knights being extremely busy finalizing the game and we simply could not spare the time."

"Microsoft's representative at E3 in a press conference dedicated exclusively to details about live hinted of a major update coming this October to Xbox live. He stated that something really big would instore for October dashboard update. CheapyD, who was an attendee at the press meeting tried to get some more details from the represetatative but all he acquired out of the rep was that is would be bigger than just a dashboard update - more on the scale of Video Marketplace "Huge".

Well the IPTV stuff was due by years end but I think they would just say it was IPTV if that was it. Maybe a Live, always on, 'channel'? One with 24/7 programming?

But I can quote:

Thanks for the quotes. I had read those as well, but could remember where. So I went back and found source links.

The first one is from this site...

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/news/?id=16850

All they mention is that there is another event in the future. Doesn't say a Microsoft event or even online. It could be the Leipzig Games Convention or the Tokyo Game Show for all we know.

The second one is from this site...

http://gamers-creed.com/?p=22

In it they are reporting on CheapyD(owner of CheapAssGamer.com) CAGcast E3 podcast. In the YouTube video linked there you'll be able to hear CheapyD say what he heard about the surprise October "event/feature". It's about 10 minutes into the video.

Personally I can't see how you connected those 2 sources into a theory that Microsoft is going to do a X06-type event on Xbox Live. A bit of a stretch if you ask me.

However, I will say that the CheapyD "event/feature" he mentions coming in October does have it's possibilities. As suggested, IPTV is one, but another one could be Music Marketplace. It could be almost anything. I guess we'll have to wait to find out later.

Tommy McClain

But I can quote:

Thinking of this one?

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=80053

It announces that U.K. gets it's own event ...

I was about to post that one. ;) Anyway, I doubt it's used as a global marketing event like past X0 events. Seems like it's being done locally by the UK group for UK customers. I guess we'll see. ;)

Tommy McClain

Back