Wronged Us

Everything looks perfect and ultra realistic until we see the character's faces. Its a bit of a shame. If their faces had the same quality as death starndings visually it would have been perfect
Now everything looks realistic but their faces appear stylised and thus give a very uncanny valley feel.

Yeah. I think we're at a point now where external environments in overcast lighting are pretty easy to get photorealistic thanks to baked lighting techniques and light probes. That first vid top of the page is superb. But maintaining that quality throughout is very difficult without some form of GI solution and effective shaders. You end up with a clash of art styles where indies can use engine light baking for great single-frame images but an overall disjointed presentation.

I also think the tools are making it easier for devs to 'overreach', if that makes sense. This is a solo project from the website. It's the sort of thing that just takes UE and runs with its intrinsic abilities. You can grab a bunch of template assets, chuck them in the engine with its lighting, and make something that looks good like this. I wonder how it got featured on the Golden Joystick awards as it's a small, unheard of title up till now.

I love to play open world horror games, but they are very few and far between because I don't think a lot of these games sell well. But some have incredible production values. And people enjoy them in general, so they build up a small following on Steam. So it's a shame.

But I hope this does well in the end.

Back