Windows Media Player 9 DVD Issues

NeoCool

Newcomer
Hello all,

My system specs are:
Intel 850 Custom Dell Mobo
Intel Pentium 4 Willamate Processor at 2.2ghz with 400mhz fsb/256K cache and 0.18 micron process
512MB of PC800 NON-ECC RDRAM(128x4, 4 slots, 2GB max)
ATI Radeon 9500 Pro 128MB DDR 275/270 stock speeds(4.10 catalyst drivers, 1/19/04 release date)
Creative Lab's Sound Blaster 2 ZS(latest EAX 4 11/11/03 drivers update)
Two 40GB IBM 2MB cache ATA100 7200RPM hard drives(first one has 20GB left, second one has 10GB left)
Microsoft's Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002, SP1
Yahoo! SBC DSL ISP
1.5mbps/384kbps average dl/ul speeds
16X LITE-ON DVD-ROM(40x cd-rom speed)
48X LITE-ON CD-RW(48x cd-rom read speed)
Direct-X 9.0b
IBM Optical Mouse Wheel Glowing Black Mouse with IBM mouse software installed
Dell QuietKey Black Standard Keyboard
Logitech Advanced ForceFeedback 3D Rumble Joystick
Microsoft Silver Advanced Gamepad
USB 1.0
10/100mbps network card
LAN cable
17" Trinitron Black Dell Monitor
2.1 2400 Creative Labs Speakers w/subwoofer & wired volume control
3"5 black floppy drive
Dell Dimension 8200 Case
Espon Stylus C80 black printer
SMC EZ connect 11mbps Wireless USB Adapter SMC2662W
Dell 400Watt PSU
Dell Custom Fan
ETC

Now, I can play my DVDs in PowerDVD fine(I have 4 XP) but when I try to play certain dvds in the menu like Matrix or Matrix Reloaded in Windows Media Player 9 DVD Decoder mode the visuals are corrupt. Then after I try to play the menu each chapter is corrupt as well. This does not happen on my brother's computer, who posseses a GeForce 2 MX. I actually got Windows Media Player to work with menu sections and after using it properly with my old PowerDVD Dell 4 in software mode before F&R....so... Ideas? Please respond, thanks,

--NeoCool :)

It may be unrelated but when I got a Radeon 9500 Pro I had to download a patch for PowerDVD from the cyberlink site to get it to work, even though it was bundled with the card. I was getting screwed up video when hardware acceleration was enabled.

If that isn't the problem then I would check to see if you have more than one software DVD player installed. Each one installs it's own DirectShow filters for decoding, demuxing etc. Different manufacturers filters rarely work together so you are much better off only having one installed.

Fruitfrenzy said:
It may be unrelated but when I got a Radeon 9500 Pro I had to download a patch for PowerDVD from the cyberlink site to get it to work, even though it was bundled with the card. I was getting screwed up video when hardware acceleration was enabled.

If that isn't the problem then I would check to see if you have more than one software DVD player installed. Each one installs it's own DirectShow filters for decoding, demuxing etc. Different manufacturers filters rarely work together so you are much better off only having one installed.

In reply to Fruitfrenzy,

I edited my original post explaining more details. I believe the problem is some compatibility issue. My brother has the same setup as me so I'm going to ask him later if I can test his computer and see if I encounter the same problems,

--NeoCool

I just downloaded the k-lite codec pack because I couldn't be bothered to install my old powerdvd 4 (which I bought on-line for good money). The codec pack has all that's neccessary to play DVDs through MS MP9, both video and dolby digital audio (ac3), and it works just fine for me. I plan to buy powerdvd 5 later, but I can't afford it at the moment. :)

Back