Voyager 1 Enters Final Frontier

Natoma

Veteran
Wired News

NASA's Voyager 1 has reached the final frontier of our solar system, having traveled through a turbulent place where electrically charged particles from the Sun crash into thin gas from interstellar space.

Astronomers tracking the little spaceship's 26-year journey from Earth believe Voyager 1 has gone through a region known as termination shock, some 8.7 billion miles from the Sun, and entered an area called the heliosheath.

Yay! Now only about 80 millennia til it reaches the nearest star! :LOL:

Yay! I hope someone thinks they can salvage it as a superb collectors item in the not too distant future! :D

I can't believe it's taken this long for Voyager 1 to finally get out there. Didn't Voyager 2 get to that point several years ago? Or was it much the same, they predicted it would finally cross that boundary but due to changing conditions (and the unknowns) it hadn't reached it yet.

The article said that they thought Voyager 1 passed the threshold a few years ago, but they were mistaken at the time. They believe the readings they're getting now are definite that it has passed the heliosphere.

I don't know about Voyager 2 though.

I wonder when they will send the next probes out . Perhaps with new tech they can get out there much faster ... but damn 28 years ? i feel so young

The timing of this announcement is no coincidence by the way, NASA are proposing to stop funding the Voyager project and shut the probes down.

Back