vista struggles

Well, I still believe Vista has the potential to be a solid product, but as I said in some other thread - I'm more and more skeptical, but not giving up yet.
I'm wondering what will be the THING that MS will try to lure the masses to - new super extra cool look? Something like that IMO - the average user doesn't care for new driver model or that he will have to restart 30% less after installing his favorite apps. So that's probably why MS is going for those media content apps etc.

I just hope they won't make the same mistake as with all the previous versions of Windows where using warezed/cracked/whatever illegal version is far annoying than being the good guy who buys his stuff (as DiGuru already said). But to be honest, I don't have high hopes in this regard - they will just put more protection, DRM and other crap in there and warez community will crack it sooner or later IMO.

As for ripping off features from other OSes - personally I don't care - if those features are good and they want to include them - the better. It's not like you can be *THAT* original and creative these days with OS features. The only sad thing about it is that it took MS so long to bring some of those to Windows.

Oh and one funny bit - here's another part of leaked Windows 2000 source code http://147.229.217.252/win2000.gif :devilish:

Edit: typos

I don't think the DRM is what is holding it back. Just look at WinFS and the fiasco that was. Or look at the evolution of the UI. It's clear that the execution failure goes beyond a single "difficult" feature. MS has been dropping features from Vista to get it out sooner.

On the UI alone, it's clear MS hasn't got a clue. They are, in fact, experimenting and trying to see what works and what doesn't, and in many cases, just copying successful designs proven in OS X.

@ silence

I specifically pointed out what was unnecessary, "oh its M$'s new shitty OS, I wonder how shitty it will be, I can't wait to use it for a day and post on forums how shitty it is". Did I specifcally point out anyone in this forum who may have said something like this and called them a troll? Nope. Its the general vibe across the net. Pointing out they are late isnt wrong, because they are. Nor is pointing out that they scrapped features, because they surely did, since of course it was started from scratch summer 2004, a year ago, and an XP replacement is overdue.

Jim Allchin, group VP in charge of Windows, says he told Gates last summer that the Longhorn of the time was quite simply "not going to work" because it was so complex that Microsoft's developers would never be able to make it run properly.
The root of the problem was Microsoft's historical approach to developing software – the so-called 'spaghetti code culture' – where the company's thousands of programmers would each develop their own piece of code and it would then all be stitched together at the end.

The new approach was to develop a clean solid core code base for Windows which new features could more easily be added to over time and Allchin introduced new tools that would automatically reject buggy code.

As a result of this Microsoft received thousands fewer bug reports than usual when it released the beta version of Windows Vista this summer. Allchin's culture change also appears to be spreading through the rest of Microsoft. Gates said the new tools are now being used by the Office group. "I wish we'd done it earlier," he told the paper.

As for those security problems with XP, most were worms from botnets exploiting the many holes in the OS(through the services running, on a naked machine), though if you were behind a router and/or firewall, you were fine, and still are fine. (unless ofcourse your browser if anything or services you allowed through the router/firewall led to execution of arbitrary code).

And evidence of what's hurting the majority of users....

http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/topten/

Nothing but botnets(which idle irc networks).

You have every right to say its not going to turn out good of course. Because apparently its a possibility. Though MS seems to be on the right track. From scratch, PnP, new driver model. Less Bugs, and more than likely less security issues(its only natural considering the proposed scheme and less bolted on features). Personally, I think its going to turn out to be pretty solid, solid in the sense that there isnt much bloat, but that's just an observers opinion, like yours. You seemed very dissatisfied with me mentioning trolling although I pointed out no trolls. I came to my conclusion after reading all I could about Vista once I heard of the "reset".

You obviously took the wrong tone of my post. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing is, there should be next to no one on this forum who doesn't want Vista to be a fantastic OS. Why would you ? We'll be using it before too long. We are the early adopters who spend thousands on the latest parts, simply so we can run the latest games at the top resolutions with all effects at a silky smooth framerate! Even if we don't all the time, we're certainly on the left of that particular bell curve, are we not?

I've tried Linux, wanted to use it as my #1 OS, but my girlfriend couldn't use it or get to grips with it. It was just too different, didn't make sense as much. Some hardware just wasn't supported out of the box (including 3D on my Radeon 9500pro). Plus the fonts are just plain ugly most of the time!

I'm scared of Vista. I think it will reduce my level of privacy. But damn, I want it to rock hard. I will stick with XP since it "works", but there's so many more ways it could work.

Rur0ni said:
You have every right to say its not going to turn out good of course. Because apparently its a possibility. Though MS seems to be on the right track. From scratch, PnP, new driver model. Less Bugs, and more than likely less security issues(its only natural considering the proposed scheme and less bolted on features). Personally, I think its going to turn out to be pretty solid, solid in the sense that there isnt much bloat, but that's just an observers opinion, like yours. You seemed very dissatisfied with me mentioning trolling although I pointed out no trolls. I came to my conclusion after reading all I could about Vista once I heard of the "reset".

You obviously took the wrong tone of my post. ;)
oki dokie, maybe i did. but its cause i am no M$ lover and have been bashing them for long....

i just wanna ask you this.... less bugs? in product that will be rushed out the door? dunno, but knowing M$ i am VERY sceptical on your "less bugs" assumption.....

PARANOiA said:
The thing is, there should be next to no one on this forum who doesn't want Vista to be a fantastic OS. Why would you ? We'll be using it before too long. We are the early adopters who spend thousands on the latest parts, simply so we can run the latest games at the top resolutions with all effects at a silky smooth framerate! Even if we don't all the time, we're certainly on the left of that particular bell curve, are we not?

I've tried Linux, wanted to use it as my #1 OS, but my girlfriend couldn't use it or get to grips with it. It was just too different, didn't make sense as much. Some hardware just wasn't supported out of the box (including 3D on my Radeon 9500pro). Plus the fonts are just plain ugly most of the time!

I'm scared of Vista. I think it will reduce my level of privacy. But damn, I want it to rock hard. I will stick with XP since it "works", but there's so many more ways it could work.

dunno which Linux you tried, but i been playing with latest distros and they all support my 9500pro, they are as easy to use as Win, everything is almost in the same place, not to mention that GUI and other stuff have been done really nicely and user friendly.....

try something like SuSe 10 or Mandriva 2006 (both just got out) or maybe Xandros.....

silence said:
dunno which Linux you tried, but i been playing with latest distros and they all support my 9500pro, they are as easy to use as Win, everything is almost in the same place, not to mention that GUI and other stuff have been done really nicely and user friendly.....

try something like SuSe 10 or Mandriva 2006 (both just got out) or maybe Xandros.....

I was going to say try Ubuntu 5.10, but I just threw it on a machine at work and it doesn't seem to be running very well. A lot of processes crashing without error messages. They start loading and then they just stop and nothing happens.

Vista might be having a rough time making it out the door, but it will make it out the door, and it will have a lot of nice new features. I'm sure the adoption rate will be fairly slow, like it was for WindowsXP, but eventually it will take over. It will be very easy to use, so people won't resist picking it up when they feel like they have to. Plus, you know it will ship on every single DELL, Hp, Compaq and every other package when it comes out. There isn't really anything for Microsoft to worry about, I don't think.

hmmmm..... i tried Ubuntu 5.04 LIVE yesterday and it worked like a charm....
and i'll be DLing Kubuntu 5.10 next....

silence said:
hmmmm..... i tried Ubuntu 5.04 LIVE yesterday and it worked like a charm....
and i'll be DLing Kubuntu 5.10 next....

I'd used 5.04 on the same machine at work, and it was great. Not sure why I'm having problems with 5.10.

Scott_Arm said:
...Plus, you know it will ship on every single DELL, Hp, Compaq and every other package when it comes out. There isn't really anything for Microsoft to worry about, I don't think.

I thought Compaq/HP was thinking about also selling computers with OSX on them when it comes out for x86? Maybe it was Gateway or something.

Jimmers said:
I thought Compaq/HP was thinking about also selling computers with OSX on them when it comes out for x86? Maybe it was Gateway or something.

That would be very nice. I thought they said they would bundle it IF it was available. I don't think Mac has actually announced a version of OSX for x86 that was intended for non-Mac machines. Please, someone tell me I'm wrong!

silence said:
oki dokie, maybe i did. but its cause i am no M$ lover and have been bashing them for long....

i just wanna ask you this.... less bugs? in product that will be rushed out the door? dunno, but knowing M$ i am VERY sceptical on your "less bugs" assumption.....

Alright...

As a result of this Microsoft received thousands fewer bug reports than usual when it released the beta version of Windows Vista this summer. Allchin's culture change also appears to be spreading through the rest of Microsoft. Gates said the new tools are now being used by the Office group. "I wish we'd done it earlier," he told the paper.

That would lead me to believe, there will be less bugs.

offcourse...... just like any other version of win by now "most stable and never as secure as now" or some other spin.... c'mon, what you expect thm to say?:rolleyes:

XP is great and it gets the job done. Stock XP blows chunks....its kludgy at best even on a high end machine. nLite saved me from bashing my head against the wall because I need XP to play games to relax once in a blue moon. So OS X is not even an option for me.

As for Vista while I am not giving up hope on it I think it is gonna be a mega bucket full of the software version of s**t. But I am still hopeful I get proved wrong...and then nLite comes out for Vista as well and yippee I get all my resources back which Vista will most likely steal from my computer!

Back