Vista indexing hates me.

Geo

Mostly Harmless
Legend
I can't find anything on a search. So I went and looked at Indexing options. "0 items indexed. Index is performing maintenance. Please wait." Well, it never changes. So I tried to do a Rebuild, and the window just hangs. Nothing. Have to cancel it from task manager.

Help?

The answer seems to be "hit default" in the indexing advanced features, which on reboot will delete the existing index (which was stuck for some reason) and start to build a new one from scratch (which it is now doing at its own sweet pace).

The XP indexing service is active on my PC but I haven't the faintest clue what good it's supposed to do. Wghenever I search for something it always spend half an hour churning throguh each and every folder and file (and zip archive) on my drives.

I can only conclude its only purpose is to consume system resources and disk space in an effort to further the hardware inflation that has been ongoing ever since microsoft became a force to reckon with in the software market.

Peace.

That`s because you have to tell the indexing service what to index. In XP i think it only dealt with your directory in Documents and Settings, in Vista it`s more all-encompassing.

Yes, the Vista one is more encompassing by default, and can be made even more encompassing if you wish (i.e. you can add stuff). And I am here to report that it most certainly does speed up searches of those areas that are indexed. Whether you like the trade-off or not is up to the individual, but there's definitely some benefit there to consider and weigh.

indexing service is faily useless unless you know how to use it. You have to use special command syntax to get it to work.
I'd suggest getting windows desktop search..

I use WDS in XP... once you set it up right it's pretty good. I've found it quite fast and it's indexing - while taking a while at first, it doesn't really get annoying. I would recommend WDS over google desktop search. But that has been discussed before

I've basically got it set to index every file I've made on the machine.

Back