Violent video games 'desensitise' players

Funny you should mention this at such a point in my life. As of late my ISP has been severed from my apartment, until I move into my new apartment (I assure you there's a point here) in order for us to dodge another bill for a month we won't be living in our current location. In order to pass the time without reaching for my handgun and turning it on myself, I opened up my book of older games and I ran across my copy of "Manhunt." If anyone remembers "Manhunt" then the first thing that'll come to mind will be the fact that it was the very definition of violence unprecedented. While I'm at a point in my life where I'm not susceptible to the content of the game, I can only imagine the impression it left on younger audiences.

Oops, better ban movies, books and the news. Who know how seeing these images will desensitise the audience?

Maybe that's why there's so much violence going on in places like Africa and the Middle East - obviously all these guys are playing too many violent video games!

Reading the Daily Mail kills the brain-cells associated with common sense <--- Scientifically proven FACT!!! Remember people, you heard it here first...

Oops, better ban movies, books and the news. Who know how seeing these images will desensitise the audience?

Maybe that's why there's so much violence going on in places like Africa and the Middle East - obviously all these guys are playing too many violent video games!

Please don't take my response as an anti-video game rant, for I'd be the first in line to drive a copy of GTA into the face of the politicians fighting to get it pulled from the shelves. I was merely stating Rockstar games are notorious for continually pushing the envelope and frequently sullying the face of video gaming. That's not to say they don't produce quality games, but I do see a copy of GTA in the hands of Hillary Clinton everytime she makes her "videos games are the sole benefactor to the steadfast decline of society" speech she likes to make every ten minutes.

Please don't take my response as an anti-video game rant, for I'd be the first in line to drive a copy of GTA into the face of the politicians fighting to get it pulled from the shelves. I was merely stating Rockstar games are notorious for continually pushing the envelope and frequently sullying the face of video gaming. That's not to say they don't produce quality games, but I do see a copy of GTA in the hands of Hillary Clinton everytime she makes her "videos games are the sole benefactor to the steadfast decline of society" speech she likes to make every ten minutes.

Self-censorship is not the answer - that's just capitulation. Politicians want to been seen to make a noise and "be doing something" whilst attacking a nonsensical target? Call them on it and ask why they don't take on Hollywood or the evening news if that's what they really believe.

Self-censorship is not the answer - that's just capitulation. Politicians want to been seen to make a noise and "be doing something" whilst attacking a nonsensical target? Call them on it and ask why they don't take on Hollywood or the evening news if that's what they really believe.

I agree with you. They choose video games as a target because they see the obviously flaws in societies parental powers. Inluence derived from games is often times blamed on the game itself, while none of the blame is lent to the fact that the parents were incapable of doing their jobs, as parents, and protecting their children from actually purchasing it.

I'd say a movie like Hostel or Saw or any other one of those stupid horror movies lately are a whole hell of a lot more disgusting and desensitizing than any game I've seen.

Hostel almost made me feel sick, a game has never gotten close. Mostly because they look nothing close to reality, even now days -- it's a constant reminder that it is indeed fake. GTA is like watching a Wile E Coyote vs. Road Runner cartoon in comparison -- sure there is violence, but it's hardly realistic. Beep! Beep!

I don't understand how people can bring up games, yet let movies (and even books) like those go unmentioned. Obviously you're going to find violence in general is going to affect people, but to single out gaming is absolutely assinine... society just keeps getting dumber as the days go by it seems. Video games are a target because politicians need something to rally against to get people to support them -- if there aren't major issues threatening society, then what are they supposed to correct when they are in power? It's the same fear mongering (at a varying levels) that most people in power use.

Watching violent sports that our countries call favorite pastimes don't have an effect?

I mean, they're basically war games.

People shout, get drunk, and do violent things because of REAL games, and politicians focus on some crappy video games.

Personally, coming home from work and then punching a guard in Oblivion is like catharsis. It's a way to blow off steam, without really blowing someone off.

Personally I think everyone would be better off if we just ate celery in the darkness and didn't do anything.
yep.gif

A new study found that students who played graphic games for only a short of period of time were less emotional when later confronted with scenes of real violence, such as beatings, stabbings and shootings.

So are police officers, doctors, soldiers, and many other people who have never played a video game, but are also exposed to violence with any level of frequency. What has yet to be proven is any causation, or even strong correlation, between this desensitization (which can be argued to be a normal psychological occurance based on environmental factors) and any kind of behavioral change that increase the subjects tendancy towards violence.

I'd say a movie like Hostel or Saw or any other one of those stupid horror movies lately are a whole hell of a lot more disgusting and desensitizing than any game I've seen.

The difference for the political discussions is that games are interactive, though. And that argument isn't beaten by "movies and news are violent too", since you're just a viewer there.

The difference for the political discussions is that games are interactive, though. And that argument isn't beaten by "movies and news are violent too", since you're just a viewer there.

But there's also evidence that while you are watching movies, your brain is in passive mode and you are much more suceptible to influence than when you are interactive and your brain is actually actively working.

Of course the people with axes to grind and research grants to get don't usually mention that.

Personally I think everyone would be better off if we just ate celery in the darkness and didn't do anything.
yep.gif

Do we get Salad Cream to go with the celery?

Back on topic, I suppose the big question with regard to video games over movies, TV etc is whether the added level of interactivity is more reponsible for desensitising people from violence. Personally, I can't see it, and I'm not sure whether it's something that can really be accurately studied at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
But there's also evidence that while you are watching movies, your brain is in passive mode and you are much more suceptible to influence than when you are interactive and your brain is actually actively working.

Of course the people with axes to grind and research grants to get don't usually mention that.

Of course, but you're not "shooting" people/aliens/monster tomatoes yourself and that's where the politics will always come back to.

The only thing watching violence on tv or playing violent videogames desensitses you from, is violence seen on tv or a video game. It does not desensitise you from real violence that happens right in front of your face.

I've played my share of violent video games, but if I saw someone actually get killed or beat right in front of me, that would scare the shit out of me.

They could have just shown both groups violent videos, and realize that only after 20 min of watching violence on tv, that their heart rates were back to normal.

I really don't see what they're trying to accoplish with these violent video game 'studies'. We already know that five year olds shouldn't be playing Manhunt.

Back