Whose side are you on?

• Shaun Woodward

Votes: 14 73.7%
  • Boris Johnson

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • I don't know

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters
2 British MPs have voiced their thoughts on video games and the gaming industry.

On my right side:
The British Minister for Creative Industries and Tourism, and Labour Member of Parliament Shaun Woodward has called for the video games industry to sponsor an academy to support students interested in working in the industry.

On my left side:
British Member of Parliament Boris Johnson believes that video games are rotting the brains of children and are adversely affecting literacy levels, especially among young males. He wants people to "just say no" to Nintendo and to "paralyze" the PlayStation.

Vote and discuss. :)

Have the kids come to the Netherlands for their studies. ;) We have multiple of those.

Other Boris Johnson gems

Yes, cannabis is dangerous, but no more than other perfectly legal drugs. It's time for a rethink, and the Tory party - the funkiest, most jiving party on Earth - is where it's happening.

We are confident in our story and will be fighting this all the way. I am very sorry that Alastair Campbell has taken this decision but I can see that he got his tits in the wringer.

I have as much chance of becoming Prime Minister as of being decapitated by a frisbee or of finding Elvis.

It is just flipping unbelievable. He is a mixture of Harry Houdini and a greased piglet. He is barely human in his elusiveness. Nailing Blair is like trying to pin jelly to a wall.

Voting Tory will cause your wife to have bigger breasts and increase your chances of owning a BMW M3.

Other Boris Johnson gems

Yes, cannabis is dangerous, but no more than other perfectly legal drugs. It's time for a rethink, and the Tory party - the funkiest, most jiving party on Earth - is where it's happening.

We are confident in our story and will be fighting this all the way. I am very sorry that Alastair Campbell has taken this decision but I can see that he got his tits in the wringer.

I have as much chance of becoming Prime Minister as of being decapitated by a frisbee or of finding Elvis.

It is just flipping unbelievable. He is a mixture of Harry Houdini and a greased piglet. He is barely human in his elusiveness. Nailing Blair is like trying to pin jelly to a wall.

Voting Tory will cause your wife to have bigger breasts and increase your chances of owning a BMW M3.

LOL! As much as I don't like his goofy stance on video games, some of those are actually pretty funny and might actually make me think about voting for him politically. I generally agree about his cannibus remark (even though I'm not a smoker), I like his style with the prime minister remark, I don't know enough about Blair to comment on the 3rd, and I laughed out loud at the 4th.

As such, rather than vote against him in this thread, I'll vote in the middle. I still don't see how someone ho seems to have at least a small bit of common sense can equate video games directly to brain rot. Parents? Anyone? Just because a kid has a video game console doesn't mean he or she should be allowed to play it 24/7.

My parents were VERY strict about my PC/Apple/Commodore/Nintendo time. If I didn't have my homework or chores finished, touching any of the above was the basis for spanking and grounding. If my grades went to pot, I couldn't play ANY of it until my grades came back up. I came out just fine, and I also played a lot of violent (at the time) video games -- Wolf, Doom, Duke Nukem, Quake, Unreal, the list continued to grow so long as my grades and my chores went as-planned.

Parents need to grow an effing pair and be PARENTS.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but does no one else see the "push Boris Johnson down 6 flights of steps" option in the poll? I mean it HAS to be there.

How can someone be so grossly opposed to video games in GENERAL? On a certain level I can understand having quarrells with certain genres of games that promote senseless violence, but disregarding the entire industry is out of control in it's levels of ridiculousness. I fully support the continued learning and education for people interested in the future of gaming. If anything gaming only accentuates one's sense of creativity. Wildly. It's so passe to blame video games for everything wrong with today's youth, while under scrutiny whenever an act of....whatever...is committed, you'll find a plethora of underlying, unaddressed issues that have absolutely NOTHING to do with video gaming, yet gaming acts as the scapegoat .

Him and Hillary Clinton need to both eat a dynamite sandwhich.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boris makes his living out of mouthing off about whatever is the latest touch-stone issue in the right-wing grey-oriented media here. He turns the rhetoric up to 11 because it increases the font size of the headlines. That's ... it really.

That Boris sounds like the kind of person who first bitched about elvis being evil, than went on to bitch about the beatles, afther that ranted on listing to black sabbath makes you want to kill yourself and after that moved on the Marylin Manson being satan himself. And now that nobody cares about those people anymore they went on and found themself something new to complain about how evil it is.

These kind of people should get a life. I agree that some games might influence kids, but imo that is not because of the games but in the first place because of the parants that didnt raise their kids the right way. You dont start shooting in schoold because of gta or cs, the problem probably started long before that.

Boris does have abit of a point, especially with newer games where everything is voice acted (poorly in most cases as well). But if it weren't for the older games FF7 and Morrowind which had loads of stuff to read, you could probably chuck 20 points of my IQ as I really dont like reading books and thats pretty much the only fictional stuff I ever read.

Back