Uncharted 4 discussion [PS4] (read first post) [2016]

First party studios don't have the highest budgets. Nothing is obvious. It depends on each title/ studio.

His own PlayStation 4 exclusive Knack game was, after all, graphically and performance wise rather badly. With that in mind What he says is not convincing to me.

Last edited:
First party studios don't have the highest budgets. Nothing is obvious. It depends on each title/ studio.

His own PlayStation 4 exclusive Knack game was, after all, graphically and performance wise rather badly. With that in mind What he says is not convincing to me.
Well he never said Knack was pushing the PS4 in any way. He even said once that it was a "small game" or something like that.

And he said "generally".

They tend to have bigger budgets because they release their games on several platforms...

It's quite obvious to me. You have a generic engine vs a dedicated engine.

When i compare ROTR to Uncharted 4, i can't agree more with Cerny.

Thank God for the Survival mode, finally a action oriented UC experience :D ! Played a few stages, like it ! I was abig fan on UC2 and 3 co op modes too and really liked the adventure mode in UC3, sad that isnt here

Well he never said Knack was pushing the PS4 in any way. He even said once that it was a "small game" or something like that.

And he said "generally".

A "small game" with a worse performance than a lot of much more complex games.

They tend to have bigger budgets because they release their games on several platforms...

It's quite obvious to me. You have a generic engine vs a dedicated engine.

When i compare ROTR to Uncharted 4, i can't agree more with Cerny.

I guess the costs are manageable especially since the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One entered the marked. This allows them to spend more money on content.

As far as I know Tomb Raider makes a bigger leap on the Pro because its engine is better scalable at the moment.
Uncharted 4 looks indeed stunning in the singleplayer campaign. But the multiplayer or 60fps content does not convince me technically in comparison to some other games. Even on PlayStation Pro.

The new Call of Duty might even look and run better than Killzone Shadowfall. Surprisingly......

Last edited:
A "small game" with a worse performance than a lot of much more complex games.

I guess the costs are manageable especially since the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One entered the marked. This allows them to spend more money on content.

As far as I know Tomb Raider makes a bigger leap on the Pro because its engine is better scalable at the moment.
Uncharted 4 looks indeed stunning in the singleplayer campaign. But the multiplayer or 60fps content does not convince me technically in comparison to some other games. Even on PlayStation Pro.

The new Call of Duty might even look and run better than Killzone Shadowfall. Surprisingly......

Because KZ Shadow Fall is a launch game... Horizon will have better visual, animation and many other things and it is an open world game... From what I heard from someone who was working on Quantic Dreams... ND and Guerrilla are the best first party on the technical side... Sony Santa Monica is an artistic Studio oriented...

Insomniac Games are very good too and one of the best management of the industry...

Media Molecule is very innovative and strong technically on the rendering side...

Last edited:
For Japan studio, japanese videogame industry is far behind western videogame industry... The mission of Allan Becker(ex Sony Santa Monica) was to restructure Japan Studio. Now the mission is finished.

http://kotaku.com/how-sonys-most-creative-studio-rose-from-the-ashes-1458030068

Releasing a title was difficult for Japan Studio...

Mark Cerny was only working 1/3 of his time on Knack... He is probably now working on the PS5, Knack 2, helping Kojima productions and helping on other titles...

Last edited:

What is the point of this argument ? TLOU runs at native 4K on the PS4 Pro. And ?

At best, it means that ROTR is, indeed, a far less demanding game than UC4... (just like TLOU)

But the multiplayer or 60fps content does not convince me technically in comparison to some other games. Even on PlayStation Pro.

It's a really bad argument... you can't compare a game focused on its single player mode and with an engine optimized to run at 30fps to other 60fps games.

The technical showcase of UC games has always been the single player mode.

It's your opinion and it's a launch game... as already said by Chris. And the single player mode of KSF has far more stable performances than the single player mode of COD IW (rock-solid 30fps vs 60fps with dips).

I don't want to be rude, but i think that Mark Cerny is much more knowledgeable than you...

Mark Cerny is paid by SONY and he uses the engine from GG for the game he promoting in this interview (Death Stranding). As a result of these elements he can not be a bit biased?
When it comes to technology, I need more arguments than a magic button for more polygons. With such a thing he can honestly not convince me. I rather prefer arguments from different viewpoints and form my opinion afterwards in combination with my knowledge. In my view, this is at least better than hearing one man's word.

I'm just saying that I was surprised that the current Call of Duty might have been overtaken Killzone Shadowfall in graphics and performance.
However, I would not call the framerate of Killzone Shadow Fall more stable. Unlocked it varies from 30-50fps.

For Japan studio, japanese videogame industry is far behind western videogame industry... The mission of Allan Becker(ex Sony Santa Monica) was to restructure Japan Studio. Now the mission is finished.

http://kotaku.com/how-sonys-most-creative-studio-rose-from-the-ashes-1458030068

Releasing a title was difficult for Japan Studio...

Mark Cerny was only working 1/3 of his time on Knack... He is probably now working on the PS5, Knack 2, helping Kojima productions and helping on other titles...

Nevertheless, it was his child. A man can not save the technique alone, but Knack was technically really bad compared to other games.

I rather prefer arguments from different viewpoints and form my opinion afterwards in combination with my knowledge. In my view, this is at least better than hearing one man's word.

What a great idea! I bet no one else around here does that.... :confused:

I can't believe that this discussion is back again.

I'm just saying that I was surprised that the current Call of Duty might have been overtaken Killzone Shadowfall in graphics and performance.
Why was that surprising when a 3rd gen PS4 title looks better than a launch title? Exclusive or not KZSF did not fully utilize everything the console has on launch even GG themselves said so, a KZ came out late this year would smoke any Cod or BF in graphics just like when Shadow Fall smoked both Ghosts and BF4 at launch.

Mark Cerny is paid by SONY and he uses the engine from GG for the game he promoting in this interview (Death Stranding). As a result of these elements he can not be a bit biased?
When it comes to technology, I need more arguments than a magic button for more polygons. With such a thing he can honestly not convince me. I rather prefer arguments from different viewpoints and form my opinion afterwards in combination with my knowledge. In my view, this is at least better than hearing one man's word.

However, I would not call the framerate of Killzone Shadow Fall more stable. Unlocked it varies from 30-50fps.

Nevertheless, it was his child. A man can not save the technique alone, but Knack was technically really bad compared to other games.

If my friend was biased he would said than Quantic Dreams is better at tech than Naughty Dog but it is not the case.

After the two consoles have nearly the same hardware very little difference some custom instructions on Xbox One side and a difference of architecture advantage for PS4(Kaveri) and different API... The advantage of be exclusive to a platform is probably not so big. It is not PS3 against Xbox 360...

But in a presentation about jaguar for Sunset Overdrive Insomniac did not use AVX instruction because there was a possibility the game would launch on PC... They used SSE for compatibility... They did another presentation about optimizing the code for Ratchet and Clank and it was different...And in a DICE presentation they explain the design of a game is done with Xbox One on mind because it is the less powerful platform to port the game...

After it depends if multiplateform dev have a dedicated console team or not. And the goal is to share some of the development code with PC too... If the engine is a PC centric with very good monothread performance like Unity before last year, it is a problem too...

And Mark Cerny can't do the engine alone... He is dependent of the team... He asks to Q Games to do something cool technically using compute and they did the GI approxination system for The Tomorrow Children but they have one of the best SPU coder on their team...

But all the 2nd PS4 game of first party will be much better than the first one...

Do a launch game is very difficult when the architecture between each console generation change so much... It will be a much more easy transition with a x86 PS5 with an AMD GPU...

EDIT: And I never say than the difference between doing an exclusive PS4 or Xbox One game versus having a good console team working on a multiplatform title... It is probably not big, the PS4 and Xbox One architecture iare very similar... they have an advantage to work on a PS4 exclusive but probably not a big one...

Last edited:
And I am sorry but I prefer believe a Dev and the architect of PS4 and PS4 Pro... Mark Cerny doesn't use the Guerrilla engine... He just helped Kojima to have contact with first party team to choose an engine... He is technical producer on Death Stranding...

The two trailers were done on a first party engine or a third party* out of UE4 after Kojima and his tech team decided to do another choice than the Unreal Engine 4...

Don't know exactly why but it was the first technical decision of Kojima production to use another engine... Or maybe it is a business decision...

How I know this? My friend working in the industry told me a bit after E3...

Edit: * My friend just told me it was not UE4...

Last edited:

Yet, DF and NX gamer seem to agree with him at least on ND...

Don't you think a dedicated engine could be an advantage ?

Don't you think the ICE Team could give an advantage to ND ?

Really, it's too easy to dismiss what Cerny said by accusing him of being biased...

It's your opinion and it's a launch game... it's a very bad example...

The single player never aimed for 60fps...

Fact : KSF has far more stable performances than COD IW as far as the single player is concerned.

I dont think Knack can be of any evidence against the credibility of Mark Cerny's comments.
It is so obvious that the game wasn't being made to push the hardware. Mark described it as a game that went back to basics of old school family gaming.
The guy's background and involvement in the PS4's design actually say a lot more.
Killzone Shadow Fall as a launch game can still compete against many recent games which says something. And we all know what kind of visuals Horizon Zero produces

Back