Trend Houscall isn't working YET AGAIN!

I'm getting fed up with this :(
Hosed the registry of Trend and Housecall entries, got the latest Java VM, Java and JavaScript are permitted to do anything in the 'advanced' option within Firefox.
Tried with firewall off and with AdAware uninstalled [dunno; someone said it may be the cause and I was desperate] but UK Trend Housecall page just throws up a load of errors in the JavaScript console and leaves me with an almost blank screen, with just the Trend logo showing.
Before anyone suggests anything, I am not going to use an ActiveX plugin or use IE and enable ActiveX on this computer - I'm going to be a stalwart here.

Knobbing hell!!!!

I even tried reactivating Scripting Host and JavaScript [think its for IE only] in XP-Antispy but it turned out to be AdBlock Plus blocking a banner that Trend werent happy about!!!

(Excuse the lack of punctuation - Firefox has just decided to use the inverted comma to open the find box?!)

ARGH! FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

Now I've got the old chestnut "Warning, The HouseCall-API did not define a Native Binding"

(my inverted comma is now working again *sigh*)

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not use AVG? It's free and it works pretty well. I recommend it to anyone, use it myself on all my computers (even on the ones for work, as I didn't like the scanners on those), and never had any complaint.

Cheers, I've seen other people recommend that, but I personally don't use a resident scanner. I just like to do the occasional online check for peace of mind. Thanks anyway.

I'll have to remember how I got around the error last time. Think I'll have to hose any newly created Trend files again.

Consider this: if a virus scanner from a website can read, write and delete files on your computer as it sees fit, any other website can do so as well if they want to.

Only because I give that particular website the go ahead. :)

In the eight or so years I've been on the web I have had virii on this machine, but they never got executed and allowed to infect: Two came through e-mail, with double extensions on them (back when I used OE) and they went straight in the bin. I've also had a couple arrive in crack/patch archives, trying to remain hidden; with transparent icons, blank names and Win ultra hidden extensions or just hoping I'll click on them by accident.

AVG is great considering its price, free.

It uses little memory, stays out of your way expect on boot up when it'll notify you about an update to the database. Then you can run the scan when you want to.

Its a great little program, and in fact you can probably tell it not to annoy you about the updates till you check yourself, I've just never cared to disable the feature because its useful to stay up to date on the database.

I really recommend you giving it ago, wasting your time trying to figure out how to get Trend Housecall to work (I consider it odd that you'd have to use IE, a very insecure browser, to run a program to help your security) will just be wasting your time.

All the online scanners that I have found require IE with ActiveX enabled - crazy!
Only the UK version of Housecall allows Firefox/Opera via Java VM instead.

Anyway, I've just played with AVG on a compy that needed a hosing. It was quite nice, but as I already stated, I don't personally want/need a scanner that stays resident.
On my compy I prefer to use a combo of Services disablement[?], frequent security updates, Ninja port-stealth and my own manual firewall rules interaction plus a few other tricks to determine what goes and what does not on this computer.

Avast is also free for home use, and last time I checked it was better rated than AVG.
Also Avast was one of the very first firm to release its AV for x64...

Use a program like AVG/Avast & just don't let it run resident.
They do have those kinds of options.

Did a complete max thoroughness scan over the weekend & Avast picked up a trojan sitting in a dim & dusty corner of my HDDs in a mod I downloaded years ago.
Many & various scanners over the years have completely missed it :???:

So, yeah my vote to Avast :D (also for being free & x64 compatible)

Back