ti4400 not much different then Radeon 7200?

Hippey

Newcomer
Alright now, no flaming please. This is just a question thread really, rather then an attack on nVidia.

I had the Radeon 64mb DDR ViVo card and just got a MSI ti4400 128MB DDR card.

Now with the radeon, I was getting 900-1000 3dmark score under Win2k SP2. With this card, I get 6500. So it's about 6.5 times faster right??

Well only thing is, I don't see the performance in my games. I still get pretty much the same frame rates in Americas Army and Neocron.

I can't seem to break more then 30fps in Americas Army at 1024x768x32 unless I stare at the floor.

So my questiion is. Is my $350 CAD investment worth it?? This is my system, maybe it's too much of a bottleneck for the card, but I don't think so

Abit KT7
AMD Thunderbird 1ghz (100x10)
512MB PC133
MSI Geforce4 ti4400 128MB DDR
Win2k Sp2

You really need a faster CPU with a Geforce4 or Radeon 8500/9700 for that matter . And preferably DDR memory as well...

Well, like ben6 said you are CPU limited... But is your investment worth it? Basically if you'd upgraded your processor you'd have been graphics card limited. If $350 Canadian was all you could spend the better plan would have been to get a Ti4200 + faster processor (and DDR+new mobo if you could squeeze it in). If you can afford to spend more than upgrade your processor to a cheap 1800+ to unlock the performance of that video card.

ahhh.. well then I guess I was wrong. it IS too much of a bottleneck. Well, even though I can't squeeze in a mobo and chip atm, at least I know the video card has a lot more potential once I get a better CPU/RAm. Thanks :)

You're CPU-limited, so your minimum and average frame rates should be about the same. On the plus side, you can probably max your res and/or FSAA and not take a framerate hit. So go ahead, crank the 4400 res as high as your monitor will let you, and throw in some aniso for good measure.

Back