The World's Smallest Car

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
The World's Smallest Car

051020_nanocar_01.jpg

Using the parts inside a single molecule, scientists have constructed the world's smallest car. It has a chassis, axles and a pivoting suspension. The wheels are buckyballs, spheres of pure carbon containing 60 atoms apiece.

It'd be a real squeeze to take it for a spin, however.

The whole car is no more than 4 nanometers across. That's slightly wider than a strand of DNA. A human hair is about 80,000 nanometers thick.
:oops:

Star Trek, f-ing Star Trek. :oops:

And the point of it is? Yeah its cool, as stuff like this always is, I just wish articles would point out the usefulness. It trys with the "nanotrucks" but then again, whats the freaking point of using those for what they said!

thats just what i need... you can park ANYWHERE and you wont get ticket cause cops wont see it....

tricky bastards, those scientists.... i guess they payed some hefty fines before they decided to make this one...;)

ChryZ said:
Is there a diesel version?

I think a molecule of whatever fuel you'd use is too big to even get into that thing!! :oops: Which by the way is still missing an engine. I'm quite disappointed actually.

;)

london-boy said:
I think a molecule of whatever fuel you'd use is too big to even get into that thing!! :oops: Which by the way is still missing an engine. I'm quite disappointed actually.

;)

why disappointed? :cool:

Skrying said:
And the point of it is? Yeah its cool, as stuff like this always is, I just wish articles would point out the usefulness. It trys with the "nanotrucks" but then again, whats the freaking point of using those for what they said!

"We'd eventually like to move objects and do work in a controlled fashion on the molecular scale, and these vehicles are great test beds for that," said James Tour, a Rice University research who co-led the work. "They're helping us learn the ground rules."

Back